• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SI's Grant Wahl - Sources: 2022 FIFA World Cup in Nov-Dec is a done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/02/18/world-cup-2022-qatar-winter-mls-cba-fifa-womens-club

Multiple sources say it's a done deal that World Cup 2022 will take place in November and December of 2022 in Qatar. A FIFA task force will meet in Doha next week and make that recommendation, and the FIFA Executive Committee is set to make the decision final at its meeting in Zurich next month.

The current plan is for only one European club season to be impacted schedule-wise, which the clubs are hoping to achieve by cutting some international dates. One key question is what to do about Confederations Cup the year before, but the big World Cup decision has been made. Set your calendars for November-December of 2022.

It's probably why Fox and Telemundo got extended US TV rights to WC2026 without bidding.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but it looks like this is definitely happening in the winter.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/02/18/world-cup-2022-qatar-winter-mls-cba-fifa-womens-club

Multiple sources say it's a done deal that World Cup 2022 will take place in November and December of 2022 in Qatar. A FIFA task force will meet in Doha next week and make that recommendation, and the FIFA Executive Committee is set to make the decision final at its meeting in Zurich next month.

The current plan is for only one European club season to be impacted schedule-wise, which the clubs are hoping to achieve by cutting some international dates. One key question is what to do about Confederations Cup the year before, but the big World Cup decision has been made. Set your calendars for November-December of 2022.

The only bright side I can think of this is that a lot of the European stars won't be completely gassed/injured after just completing their regular seasons. This is still a load of BS though.

rrvv

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but it looks like this is definitely happening in the winter.

November bit strange prefer it to be on February if the want to move it to "winter"

*spits out monocle*

I haven't been following this whole thing very closely, but it really does sound bad.

And I know big tournaments go through controversies all the time, but this really does sound BAD.

TBF that probably including building completely new city. the entire metro system, and associated building and such.

I mean if Qatar somehow loss world cup. they still continue to building this stuff.

Chabbles

Maybe by 2022 global warming will make it feel like summer anyhow, although we need to pull together and make that future a reality. Get to work people, pass gas as much as possible, throw butts out your car window, set your neighbors house on fire, do what ever you gotta do. Lets fuck this ozone up.

Eh, time for teams to threaten holdouts.

Not really when MLS Cup Playoffs will be in full swing come November, and the MLS Cup final being in December.

If we even have the same postseason format in 2022.

I think the chatter about the MLS making strides to be more like international leagues in regards to scheduling is getting too loud. Seems inevitable as the MLS brand continues to grow at the rate it is. Go Crew SC.

Arjen

Nor am I tbh, I don't want the World Cup in the run up to the holidays. The World Cup and summer go together so well. Stupid corruption ruining things :(

I know what you mean. Can't imagine a World Cup not in the summer. It's going to be so weird.

ryseing

LOL FIFA.

Qatar WC has been a disaster since day one. A functional, non corrupt organization would have switched locations by now.

Now I get to be salty about Team USA AND the Falcons at the same time.

l6rSYL3.gif

Xando

WC in winter will suck. Who's gonna do a Public viewing if it's -10 °C.

European FA's need to boycott this shit.

I just don't see it happening.

European FAs will be outraged.

Sponsors will be outraged

Other bidding nations will be outraged.

This will face legal action before it is confirmed

BigBoss

The article claims that this wouldn't affect the European leagues(La Liga, BPL, Serie A, Bundesliga, etc.) but last time I checked they played a bunch of games in Nov-Dec so what am I missing here?

I'm interested to see how it will pan out if it goes ahead. Plus we would get club football in the Summer, that'll be cool and novel.

I just don't see it happening.

European FAs will be outraged.

Sponsors will be outraged

Other bidding nations will be outraged.

This will face legal action before it is confirmed

European FAs will be paid off.

Sponsors will be paid off

Other bidding nations will be paid off.

This will face no legal action before it is confirmed.

Fixed it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom