• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe Evolve Review

oti

Banned
So are we cool with YouTuber threads or not? Sometimes we are, sometimes not. What's the official stance on this?

Theorry

Atleast the maps are free. Wich is a good thing in a MP game.
If people want to pay money for skins. Be my guest. Its better then paying for dlc maps imo.

Pudge

Is really that made about skin unlocks? They're completely unessential to the base game.

I mean, I know the answer, he's playing a character, so no he's not really that mad. It's just probably a bad trend to have someone out there rallying about DLC in every case no matter now necessary it actually is.

Radec

*Colors gun blue*, sells for $2.

KuGsj.gif

CowbopBeboy

Neo Member
I'm actually loving the game. It's incredibly fun when playing with friends, though I'd agree that it's lacking in content and the DLC is woeful. It's also nowhere near as much fun when playing solo.

Steroyd

Is really that made about skin unlocks? They're completely unessential to the base game.

I mean, I know the answer, he's playing a character, so no he's not really that mad. It's just probably a bad trend to have someone out there rallying about DLC in every case no matter now necessary it actually is.

It wasn't so much about there being a skin DLC but the fact that they coloured it blue, called it a day and charged money for it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Since Evolve was first unveiled to the release date, I never believed it had to offer anything besides that core concept which would quickly become very repetitive. I agree with most what was said in this [another great] review by Joe.

I thought the beta was fun and promising. I skipped on the game though, because of a lack of game modes, not enough characters/monsters with the base game, and the prices of the non-cosmetic DLC.

angelic

Banned
The angry schtick is so old now, listing it as "evolve - the angry review" is silly. He needs a new name.

CTLance

Hrm. For all the complaining he did he still rated it average. I'll take his 5/10 as a score for the platform, not the game in its current form.

I've been feeling the occasional itch, but I absolutely agree with him on the F2P aspect. I think it would have ten times the user base and a waaaay more positive reaction as a free or at least cheap game.

Gotta say though that evolve streams are damn fun to watch sometimes. If the team works out it's just amazing to watch everything fall into place.

Druz

Gotta say this review is spot on. You could see these issues coming a mile away though. I'm shocked at the critical reception.

If you're spending hundreds of dollars on this scam, you're telling companies that you like shitty business practices. People like to slam the slippery slope argument, but look at where we are now. This shit would have never been attempted if consumers didn't send so many signals that continuously say "YES, fuck me over."

I've enjoyed the game a ton in the 15 hours or so that I've played it and never even given a passing thought to the DLC. All the 12 hunters play differently and I don't feel like the game is short on content. I often play with ransoms and the vast majority of the time everyone works together and its fun. The DLC skin stuff is so inconsequential; I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with it.

Anung

Un Rama
Totally agree with him. The game is there in concept but in actuality it just isn't fleshed out or interesting enough to justify a full release.

Even the gameplay doesn't feel there as a lot of the time it just feels like you are nipping at the monsters heels.

He sums it up well, the game seems like an f2p game that they for some reason decided to charge 60 euros for...

Currently 33th most played on steamstats and will probably continue to crater out of the top 100 within a week or 3

edit: btw their last game left4dead is still the 20th most played on steam, and it's like 5 years old, you know they fucked up

KorrZ

I don't see any issue with posting separate threads for well-done video critiques/reviews. We just recently got threads for Matthewmatosis and Errant Signal as well, all 3 of these make great videos that deserve some discussion IMO.

Posting in the review thread would just see this sink to the bottom of the forum immediately again when the game is a few weeks old now.

Trickster

The angry schtick is so old now, listing it as "evolve - the angry review" is silly. He needs a new name.

Yes, he should change his entire brand identity and way of making videos because you think it's old ( I don't really like his persona either, but come on )

From the first reveal I thought this was meant as an immersive experience, very realistic and visceral.

Turns out it's the very opposite: it's all about health bars, silhouettes, UI panels, button prompts and other things that get in the way. Including very approximate animations and controls. In the end it's a 3d person game where you look at the UI all the time. The exact opposite of an immersive experience.

It feels really, really "fake" and gamey. I'm surprised that some people find it fun, even if you leave out of the picture all the controversy about DLCs.

drotahorror

We always get individual threads for his review videos. Why complain now?

I searched for Angry Joe and found a few, hence I made this one. If it becomes something that's not allowed, then best believe I'll never post one. I rarely make threads anyway.

Atleast the maps are free. Wich is a good thing in a MP game.
If people want to pay money for skins. Be my guest. Its better then paying for dlc maps imo.

Definitely agree with the free maps. More MP games should follow this practice (a lot do, but some don't).

Kysen

I trust his opinion over the joke that is the games media. Look at the scores they gave this game with all the huge glaring flaws. I'm glad YouTubers are taking over.

That's pretty much why I didn't get it (did play the beta though). It's a very team based heavy game, and if one person on the team is slacking, you're going to be in for a hard time. None of my friends bother to get it, so I passed on it. It's a very unfriendly pug game.

That's why FPSs like CoD and BF are so popular, you don't really have to rely on teammates to do well. You can have a terrible team and still do great.

I do enjoy the concept of Evolve, however if my friends aren't going to play, I'm out.

I love how it showed the gametrailers score. I mean, their reviews are thoughtful, but their scoring standards are infamously inflated, compared to what they state in the review script.

patchday

I enjoy playing Evolve casually (only Level 9 now). I still immensely enjoyed his review as always and I knew he was going to smash it. The only games I see him giving a good score will have to deliver a good solid, story though.

I wish this game followed the League of Legends pay model I think. That way we could get many more Hunters and the dev would feel pressure to keep cranking those out. But instead, they released a bunch of crappy skins for guns/monsters that I'd never buy

And I agree with him on how the game just tosses someone into being a Monster. So sometimes they dont give a care and just suicide out at Stage 1, LOL!

Keasar

"Are we the only one that noticed the lack of content!?"

Wasn't that pretty much what most people talked about in the threads leading up to its release since the announcement? Pretty sure it was discussed.

A lot.

"Are we the only one that noticed the lack of content!?"

Wasn't that pretty much what most people talked about in the threads leading up to its release since the announcement? Pretty sure it was discussed.

A lot.

I think it's more meant in the context of those 9/10 and 8/10 reviews.

gatti-man

I don't know how this game is getting decent to good reviews. It lasted all of four hours in my ps4 before being returned. I found it clunky and absolutely barren of content. The game relies so heavily on having friends play with you its practically a snooze without them imho.

I don't know how this game is getting decent to good reviews. It lasted all of four hours in my ps4 before being returned. I found it clunky and absolutely barren of content. The game relies so heavily on having friends play with you its practically a snooze without them imho.

Reviewers didn't learn their lesson from Titanfall. They buy into the hype train and keep it rolling until launch. Only later will they look back and go "Well Evolve was a good game but it just lacked content." And yet they'll still give it an 8 or 9. If your average person actually used critical thinking instead of looking at an arbitrary number, ah forget it.

patchday

Seems like an ironic statement coming from a fellow gaffer. I added a few gaffers for evolve myself and enjoy playing with them. It's a shame I play Destiny with gaf as well so not much time left for Evolve.

Orayn

Reviewers didn't learn their lesson from Titanfall. They buy into the hype train and keep it rolling until launch. Only later will they look back and go "Well Evolve was a good game but it just lacked content." And yet they'll still give it an 8 or 9. If your average person actually used critical thinking instead of looking at an arbitrary number, ah forget it.

So you're arguing that a game shouldn't ever be given higher than a 7 if it "lacks content?" There's no room for a game's quality or a reviewer's liking the game to push it into the 8-9 range when the numbers were always arbitrary to begin with?

For the record, I don't own Evolve or think it's a particularly amazing game that deserves high scores.

void666

Banned
I don't have the game and i didn't watch his review (i'm at work) but if the DLC is only cosmetic stuff i really don't mind them trying to make an extra cash.
And if maps are free this is perfect.

MP games should always have free maps.

BokehKing

Banned
I usually don't agree with him, but he is right , all you do is run back and forth with a rocket pack that runs out of juice too quick, being traded in towards Bloodborne

Bizazedo

Destiny has barely more content and requires more friends for raids than Evolve does. I know you play Destiny.

Destiny does have slightly more content SP wise....but it's horrible. And as it technically requires more friends for the raids.....

This was an easy review for Joe. This had more unified opinion due to dlc. And like always he told you what you wanted to hear err...for the gamers I mean! Good milking here and will give Joe a good paycheck. Can't help but respect that. More new YouTuber should take note.

Also why does this have a separate thread? Its a review i think it should belong on the review thread. Nothing he said hasn't been said by other reviewers.

Top Bottom