• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“I really wanted to make a DmC: Devil May Cry 2” – Devil May Cry 5 director Hideaki Itsuno.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.vg247.com/2018/09/26/dmc-devil-may-cry-2-hideaki-itsuno/

“I really wanted to make a DmC: Devil May Cry 2, after the first one,” Itsuno told VG247 at the Tokyo Game Show. “I was really pumped up to do it, and then that didn’t happen. So… when it came time to make a new game, we said, alright, let’s make Devil May Cry 5.

“We had these people that didn’t work on DmC and people that did. Because we had these two sides mixing, it was like alright, we’re going to make Devil May Cry 5 – it’s not going to be a sequel to DmC, but we definitely want to do what we can to take what we learned from that game too.”

“One thing, if you think about it… it probably wouldn’t make sense to have these guys make a DmC 2,” Itsuno explained. “That’s something that Ninja Theory should collaborate with Capcom on, y’know? It would be different – it would lose something if we tried to do that only in Osaka. So it really made sense that we’d go to a sequel to DMC4. It’s something that the people in Osaka have more of a frame of reference for.”

DonF

I didn't dislike DmC, what I don't want is more DMC 4. I hated that game. If its more like DMC 3 that would be awesome.

linker

Neo Member
For how much I love Itsuno, he always seems to think that he has to "make" DMC his creature ever since 3 was successful, first with the creation of Nero (which was made first to detach the story from Dante who is not his creation and second to make the game more accessible), then with his apparent enthusiasm with DmC (which by the way I think would have been a lot better if they let Ninja Theory do what they wanted without putting them between a rock and a hard place with all the changes that Capcom forced upon them) and now this... I mean, he already tried to detach himself from the series with Dragon's Dogma for god's sake.
He strikes me as disdainful towards the fact that the series that he's most known for is also not a product of his mind, at least not in terms of origins. I appreciate ambition but my god this attitude annoys me.

plushyp

For how much I love Itsuno, he always seems to think that he has to "make" DMC his creature ever since 3 was successful, first with the creation of Nero (which was made first to detach the story from Dante who is not his creation and second to make the game more accessible), then with his apparent enthusiasm with DmC (which by the way I think would have been a lot better if they let Ninja Theory do what they wanted without putting them between a rock and a hard place with all the changes that Capcom forced upon them) and now this... I mean, he already tried to detach himself from the series with Dragon's Dogma for god's sake.
He strikes me as disdainful towards the fact that the series that he's most known for is also not a product of his mind, at least not in terms of origins. I appreciate ambition but my god this attitude annoys me.
It's sad how Dante is nothing more than a glorified side character now playing second fiddle to a poncy twit. Wasn't a fan of Nelol then, not a fan of him now.

The main reason DmC got major flack was because of the redesigned main character. For us that couldn't care less, it was a good game like any other DMC. I liked it more than DMC4 thats for sure, especially with its repeating levels where you backtracked through every level you already wiped out before. DmC was a fun game, but thanks to social media, sometimes you can cause a riot over the stupidest things.

tkscz

The main reason DmC got major flack was because of the redesigned main character. For us that couldn't care less, it was a good game like any other DMC. I liked it more than DMC4 thats for sure, especially with its repeating levels where you backtracked through every level you already wiped out before. DmC was a fun game, but thanks to social media, sometimes you can cause a riot over the stupidest things.

While the character design for me was pretty bland, the overall game just wasn't that good in my opinion. I can't explain it, but everytime I played it, something felt off about the game play. I wouldn't say it was awful or shitty, but I would say it didn't feel right with me.

I liked DmC more than DMC4. Fight me.

But seriously, everything I've seen so far of DMC5 just reminds me of DMC4 and that's not a good thing - I never want to play as Nero again.

I definitely like both dmc games and I did like DmC, but it seems like Capcom has an infatuation with it over DMC for whatever reason. Maybe it’s the aesthetics or something? I wouldn’t mind a DmC2, but I would rather have a full fledged sequel to DCM4 like we are supposedly getting with DMC5. I can definitely see DmC influences in DMC5 though.

Wonko_C

What if both series continued (alternating games) and then one day they decide to make a crossover between the two universes. $$$

linker

Neo Member
While the character design for me was pretty bland, the overall game just wasn't that good in my opinion. I can't explain it, but everytime I played it, something felt off about the game play. I wouldn't say it was awful or shitty, but I would say it didn't feel right with me.
I'd say it's the fact that the combat in general feels quite floaty, animations don't look quite as good and especially the original version was super sluggish. It's a decent game, but I could barely accept an argument for it being better than DMC4 (let's be honest, enemy design is even more fucked up than the Blitz and coloured enemies are a terrible concept) because it's more complete, anything more would just be blatantly untrue :unsure:

manfestival

This explains why dante looks so teenage angsty in this. I also found DmC more fun than DMC 4. Aside from the redesigned Dante, it was a really slick and fun game. Haters gonna hate

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I like a lot DmC, one sequel of this Will be amazing.

By the way, i always wish Dragon Dogma With multiplayer online like Monster hunter World.

tkscz

I'd say it's the fact that the combat in general feels quite floaty, animations don't look quite as good and especially the original version was super sluggish. It's a decent game, but I could barely accept an argument for it being better than DMC4 (let's be honest, enemy design is even more fucked up than the Blitz and coloured enemies are a terrible concept) because it's more complete, anything more would just be blatantly untrue :unsure:

I remember the boss fights feeling draggy. Like they were all easily dodged damage sponges. I agree with the floatiness though. Even running just felt off.

NahaNago

What if both series continued (alternating games) and then one day they decide to make a crossover between the two universes. $$$

Why not just go the zelda route and just remake it after each story arc is completed. That way you can get new fans each time and learn what works and doestn't and create a better dante each time.

linker

Neo Member
I remember the boss fights feeling draggy. Like they were all easily dodged damage sponges. I agree with the floatiness though. Even running just felt off.
Boss fights (bar the last one) were badly designed.
Not that DMC4 offered much better, but at least the worst wasn't borderline bad Zelda territory and the good stuff was so good it hurt (Credo, Dante).

sublimit

Banned
By the way, i always wish Dragon Dogma With multiplayer online like Monster hunter World.
I actually liked the Pawn system. I thought the concept was very unique and for a time i was addicted to see how many reviews,ratings and presents my Pawn would get! The AI would definitely need some improvements though.

Well, I want you to do Dragon´s Dogma 2. Hopefully it´s on the way now that DMC 5 is finished.
Oh God you have no idea how happy that would made me. For me Dragon's Dogma is still Capcom's best new IP ever since the PS2 days.

Last edited:
DmC: Devil May Cry?

This is the stupidest shit I've heard. "DmC" is DmC period, that's a way to differentiate this pseudo-prequel from DMC aka Devil May Cry because we don't know what the minus "m" stands for.

But I'm all for a second DmC too, in fact I think it'd be a great follow-up to the prequel in order to explain how Dante got his grey hair.

Ka-Kui

What's funny is that Ninja Theory at one point in one of the trailers redesigned Dante's face so that he closely resembled DMC2 almost and fans still complained.

And yes DmC is better than DMC4. DMC4 was a slap in the face to the fans at the time of release for various reasons, more insulting than anything DmC or Ninja Theory did - at least NT cared about their product. DMC4 was a rushed, sanitised, animefied crap.

kunonabi

Ninja Theory just doesn't understand basic combat/gameplay design. If they did there wouldnt have needed to be a giant update to overhaul that trash into something competent.

xwez

Banned
So… when it came time to make a new game, we said, alright, let’s make Devil May Cry 5.

What a shitty attitude to have. "[Sigh]Oh alright, I guess we will make DMC5 instead..." This is clearly a case of favoritism. Fuck him. I'm sure he found a way to shoehorn crappy elements from DmC into DMC5.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Absolutely glad he didn't do DmC 2. The first game was completely utter trash that spit into the faces of fans.

DmC was a good game, but I’m not sure what they see in it compared to the DMC games that would make them more excited to create a DmC over a DMC5. I can tell elements of DmC did sneak in DMC5, but the game still came out awesome.

PrCat88

Would have loved to see it as well, but DMC5 is the game we got and I have no complaints. It's a solid fanservice game that gamers have been waiting years for.

tei15

each time you think Capcom is finally solid again for good, they go and do shit like "we're open to revisiting the shitshow that is the reboot" and you're just "dammit I knew there's a catch".

It is probably the case that Itsuno wants to make his dream project, and sequel to the franchise he created from scratch Dragon's Dogma 2.

It might be the case that he is busy on that over the next 2-4 years and so won't get a chance to make any more DMC games.

As such Capcom is probably open to the idea of keeping the franchise going while Itsuno is busy with either a different team working on some kind of sequel/spinoff or possibly returning to the reboot.

Quezacolt

I'm glad they didnt make a sequel to that thing. I'd rather have him making a DMC6 and sequel for dragons dogma.

ISubZBR

Oh god, please no.
Noooo

This game was garbage in so many ways.
Dontey, vergil with a rifle, that generic girl... And bosses.... Man... These bosses are so dumb.

johntown

Banned
DMC was okay. I prefer the traditional series as I didn’t like the heavy focus on platforming in DMC.

If they had done DMC 2 I would have probably skipped it.

Top Bottom