• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 years later, are home printers still a dumpster fire? (need recommendations)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm currently using, and happy with, an HP laser printer that I got for free. An office was giving it up because it could "only" hold 600 sheets at once.

Hydrus

I bought this cheap ass $30 laser printer of Newegg a couple of years ago and this thing is still going strong! Still haven't even changed the toner on it.

Another recommendation for a Brother B&W laser printer. Have several of them in the office and at home as well for years with little to no issues.

balohna

For the last 10 years I've had a Brother printer, funny enough, just died yesterday. It was a JFC-435W.

I personally recommend Brother printers, I've had terrible experiences with every company you mentioned.

I had a brother printer that just stopped working, mechanical failure I think. But I did buy it like 10+ years ago (stopped working like 6 years ago), so maybe they got better. Or maybe their ink jets just also suck.

Li Kao

Yeah I have had an Epson EPL6200 something for well over 10 years and never had a problem with it until it began to take several pages at once or on the opposite being unable to take one page in. The toner is horrendously pricey like every laser printer I assume but you print a megaton of pages with it.
On the other hand I have an inkjet that cries for ink every other day, this piece of shit would have been in the garbage bin for an eternity if it was not for the fact that it has a scan function.

Would love to have a color laser, does these things crave ink like inkjets ? Not sure we have things like officedepot in France.

psyfi

Banned
Can anyone recommend a decently priced printer that really excels at B/W printing? I don't need it to be good at color. 11x17 would be cool, but even just 8.5x11 is fine.

Welp thanks to this thread, I got myself a Brother wireless Laser printer on sale at Best Buy.

Without needing to download an app or any other extraneous bullshit, I got it working on my wireless network and started printing shit from my phone. This is probably the most hassle free printer setup I've ever experienced. And it just works. Hopefully it remains that way, which by the looks of it, it will. Thanks Gaf!

Fugu

I have a laser printer that I bought ten years ago. I've replaced the cartridge once.

It always makes me smile a little bit when I hear complaints about inkjets.

Laekon

Didn't know this was still an issue. I've had an HP inkjet printer/scanner for over 3 years now with no issues. Well 1 issue, I have to scan and email to my MBP as I don't want to install the HP software. It prints fine without the software wirelessly. Everything works fine without installing drivers on my Windows desktop. Ink has been pretty reasonable at Best Buy but Amazon is more expensive.

I decided to go all weird and get a thermal printer, under the assumption that without any moving parts it would be more reliable than all the other crap I've used in the past.

Has worked out so far, although I wish the paper was a bit cheaper—the printer doesn't need a toner or ink cartridges, but it can't print on regular paper. It comes out to around 8¢ a sheet, which isn't terrible I guess, but for a black and white printer isn't good either.

AndyD

aka andydumi
In my experience, they are all still garbage on average, but that said, I would recommend a Brother laser printer. At the very least, never an inkjet. Unless you are printing photos.

This. A Brother wireless black and white laser printer is the only home solution. If you ned photos, send them to walmart/CVS and pick them up. Far more reliable and better quality than anything you might print at home for the same price.

Saganator

I remember printers from 10-15 years being better than the ink guzzling printers we have now. Back then they seemed to just want to make a decent printer, now they make printers solely to spit out as much ink as possible so you have to buy more.

Go with a black and white laser and don't look back.

I few years ago I bought an HP inkJet printer, what a piece of shit. I have to print only occassionally, maybe like... a few times a year. The goddam thing has ONE TASK and it's never up to the task when I need it to.

Going to throw it away eventually and just get a cheap laser printer. I could get away not having one, but my wife prints stuff for work once in a while.

I bought an InkJet because, at the time, a Wifi laser printer was just more expensive than what I was willing to spend, where as a comparable inkjet had far more features at the time. I wanted a Wifi printer because we had 3 people in the house, and so we couldn't do USB/wired.

+1 for Brother laser printers. Easy as shit to set up and they last a good while. I put mine through very heavy use at my office and it holds up like a champ.

You need to switch to a laser printer. They are a little more expensive but worth it. They last decades and only need a new cartridge every few years.

gbpxl

Neo Member
Epson.

Canon.

HP.

I don't know how many brands we went through, but the one thing was certain amongst all of them, these printers were trash. An ocean of incompatibility, incomprehensible errors, missing drivers, dried out ink cartridges, paper jams, and print jobs that resembled faded mosiacs.

Since leaving highschool, I've defaulted to printing at college and then work for the last decade. But the time has come for me to enter the world of home printing again.

So I ask; has it gotten better? Are there any recommendations for a printer that just works?

I bought a Brother HL-L2340DW laser printer a couple months ago. It only prints black and white but its double sided and fast. great buy if you ask me. Ill never mess with HP and or ink bullsh*t again.

ChuyMasta

I must be lucky. I've had the same HP printer for 7+ years now and is one of those 3 in one sets
Printer copier scanner. As soon as it breaks down I will go for Laser...though Im not sure if Brother or Canon

Last edited:

Sapiens

I’ve had good luck with my Samsung wifi laser printer. Had it over 5years and only had to replace the ink once. Only prints 1 sides and the configuration was a bit of a pain (there is no lcd display on the machine-had to configure via web browser) but once I got it going, no mechanical issues and have no trouble printing from any device in the house wirelessly.

Less than 150 sunk into it in that five year span.

lachesis

I got a cheap Brother color laser printer for my child's homework prints, and for myself - very happy with it. Being Wifi printer, it can even print directly from my iPhone and all.
Unless you print photos on photo paper at regular basis - say no to inkjets.

LordPezix

I feel like when people talk about printers and how shit they, they are always the ones that unpack it and just hit the power button expecting it to run. Like did you even read the goddamn instructions manual or did you just "man" it up lol. Every single HP, Epson, Chinese rip off printer I've ever owned has worked fine and for a long time. I can't even remember the last time I've had a paper jam, and I print off a shit load of character sheets for my D&D games.

If you're going to use a tool USE IT RIGHT DAMMITTTTTTTT!!!

Top Bottom