• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

102 New Features Delivered in Xbox One’s First Year

Kssio_Aug

Suspend/Resume is my game changer

Oh and being able install Dead Rising 3 while playing Sunset Overdrive was pretty f'ing mindblowing (^____^)

Both suspend/resume and snap center are really big stuff, imho! Really a game changer!

Now if they add the screenshots and the background music (I forgot to mention it before) it will be crazy! Specially if we get an Spotify app! =P
And if Im not mistaken Major Nelson said both featues are already in work. Not sure though.

That and screenshots and I'm good. Everything else will be a bonus after that.
You're absolutely right - don't know how that slipped my mind. I love how easy it is to record video and share it, the Xbox definitely needs to do the same with screens. That's a pure win/win for everybody involved.

Prine

Banned
Not upset at all, I own both systems. So I can first hand say that vast majority of the updates are added features that where already available on the ps4. My only point is why give credit for missing or broken features and then knock the other company for not added something they already are doing. Neither system is perfect. But in realty the reason the xbox one has gotten so many updates is because a lot of features were either worse then the 360 or just missing to begin with.
Well this is bulshit. MS added huge features, made things easier and a few updates that included things from 360 at the end of the gen.

Please list where MS are adding things to catch up.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Turning the console on is actually the less reliable command, since the console is "half asleep" and doesn't have as much resource dedicated to recognition. But even for that 10% is low (it works most of the time for me, and when it doesn't on my first try, the second always passes).
There can be several explanations : could be a noisy environment, a defective kinect, or a specific accent/way of speaking that gives it more trouble. For the last issue, a long term solution would be to download and use the "kinect voice studio" app, that lets you repeat specific sentences, and send them to MS to improve their software. I doubt it will immediately improve the recognition on your console (although it's worth trying), but there are chances future updates will take your specifics into account.

Noise cancellation is not active in standby, that is why "Xbox On" can give difficulties. If you're having a hard time with voice commands while it is on it is most likely due to poor calibration.

Step 1: Turn on every device and appliance in your house that makes noise. A/C fans, dishwasher, washer, dryer, any electronics with fans and so on.

Step 2: Turn up the volume on your stereo and run the calibration while remaining quiet. It is now searching for noises not to listen to.

Step 3: If the test continues without saying the volume is too loud restart the test on a higher volume until it does. Lower it in small increments until it runs without saying it is too loud.

If you move your Kinect, audio equipment, a loud appliance or electronic equipment just redo the calibration using this method.

Well done MS now bring me new and exciting exclusives (wouldn't mind a Gears Trilogy Remaster so I can rid my 360 ones that I've still not played) and I'll buy an Xbox One.

Halo MCC pfffft...for me personally.

Use kinect voice commands. ;)
I think an unintuitive part with snap is that it will set the focus to the snapped application. When the user gets confused, he's not too sure if he's controlling the game or the application (hint : when it's the snapped app, its menus are usually highlighted in white).
Use double tap or "Xbox switch" to change the focus to where you want to be.

Yeah, those don't really work for me. But thanks for the info.

How can I unsnap something when it's snapped? Also, I've noticed if I try to go into achievements or something like that while a game is running, I just get the achievements for that game. Can't I look at all of them?

Is there anyway to get the system to shut completely off?

I loved the 360s interface. The One's seems needlessly complicated because I don't know what it's trying to accomplish and I'm not sure how most of these things interact with one another. It's a bit frustrating.

TheYanger

Snapping was the first thing I spent a few minutes getting used to on my bone, gotta say it's pretty simple and awesome to just double tap home and snap, unsnap, change focus, etc.

Suspend resume might not have been 'added' but it's definitely a feature I didn't really care about before I bought one, and then once I had it I was like 'why doesn't everything do this'.
It feels SO awesome to just power on the system and have my game sitting there like I'd just paused it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The speed and sheer volume of genuine updates has been great. But really, the majority of it should have been there. It's so so so very clear both these consoles came much earlier than they were meant to.

f0lken

The speed and sheer volume of genuine updates has been great. But really, the majority of it should have been there. It's so so so very clear both these consoles came much earlier than they were meant to.

With that hardware they came if anything a little late

FZW

Yeah, those don't really work for me. But thanks for the info.

How can I unsnap something when it's snapped? Also, I've noticed if I try to go into achievements or something like that while a game is running, I just get the achievements for that game. Can't I look at all of them?

I loved the 360s interface. The One's seems needlessly complicated because I don't know what it's trying to accomplish and I'm not sure how most of these things interact with one another. It's a bit frustrating.

To Unsnap, press the Xbox button and you'll see an unsap button on the right (or you could double tap the Xbox button to get the snap menu)

to see all achievements, go to the achievements app in the 'Games and Apps' section

its really not that hard...

JaggedSac

I think it's probably the best way Microsoft can continue to gain interest.
Their box may not be the better of the HD two in terms of hardware but if they continue to add OS features, customization, integration and other cool stuff then it will make the OS that much more attractive.
I'd like to see something akin to remote desktop on XBO, either to PC or from PC.

Windows 10

Most of these features should have been on launch.
Really shows Microsoft was in a hurry to release at the same time as PS4.

At least they put necessary stuff back in.

Alx

How can I unsnap something when it's snapped?

Any of the following works :
- When focusing on the snapped app, press B to go back until it disappears
- Double press guide, select bottom tile (unsnap)
- Single press guide, select "unsnap" tile
- Single press guide, set focus to app, press "menu", select "Unsnap" (or "Quit", but that would close your app while unsnap will keep it in memory... I suppose)
- Just for fun, you can do all of the above with gestures and/or voice commands : grab the edges of the screen and pull them to the center, say "Xbox display menu" and push "unsnap". :p
- "Xbox Unsnap"

Also, I've noticed if I try to go into achievements or something like that while a game is running, I just get the achievements for that game. Can't I look at all of them?

Not when snapped. As mentioned above, you must expand it to full screen to have the achievements become independent from the game.

In the system power settings, you can set it to "energy saving" or something like that, which means that it will shut off completely. In that case "Xbox on" won't work, of course.
You can also use the universal "keep pressing the power button for several seconds" which will turn it off completely whatever your power settings (the go-to solution to buggy apps).

JaggedSac

I do admit that the list is quite impressive, but in the back of my mind, it gives me an impression that X1 was released way before it was fleshed out. Many of the things mentioned should have been on day 1. Even the first item says, "1. See and manage your storage space."

It seems that they sold the consumer a half baked product and to put a PR spin on it, they say "Hey look at the new features that we've been adding!" It's bad enough that software comes out of the gate incomplete and gets patched on later. Now everything seems to be just cobbled together enough that the consumer will take a bite and be amazed that there are "new features" added.

They will have a list of 100 features added next year too. That is the cool thing about all this.

Jesb

Some of the stuff on that list just goes to show how these consoles are not even ready when they launch. Some basic stuff on there that should already be ready for launch.

Stuff is still too sluggish, accidentally hitting a "View Playercard" button on an in-game scoreboard takes forever to recover from. Kinect voice recognition is still crap. I still can't say "Xbox Watch Fox Sports Two". It still can't tell TBS from CBS no matter how well I enunciate.

It has some cool features, but honestly I don't think it's good enough to be a 1.0 consumer release even to this day, *shrug*

ViciousDS

Banned
wait........how do you access the sound mixer for apps? would like to watch some nba games with sound while keeping the game volume down

Hehe. Funny how people forget this. I wonder exactly this issue affected the quality of the launch OS.

Speaking as someone who leads dev teams, albeit nothing on the scale of an XBox OS, a change of that magnitude, that close to launch, would have caused me sleepless nights with stress, a huge replanning exercise, panic, long hours and barely any sleep until ship day, and a gut-wrenchingly hard time cutting, cutting, cutting features that would be considered "essential" in order to re-plumb the core underpinnings of the platform we've built.

Wizman23

Banned
My biggest hope for 2015 is that they fix instant on mode. Instant on mode reminds me of older PC's where every few days you need to shut down completely to get it working normal and fast. After a few days in instant on mode the XB1 lags in all areas and some features don't work properly, including my NAT going from open to moderate. I have no problems when the system is in energy savings mode, but instant on mode is a feature I would like to use without having to worry if I should be using it

Prine

Banned
Speaking as someone who leads dev teams, albeit nothing on the scale of an XBox OS, a change of that magnitude, that close to launch, would have caused me sleepless nights with stress, a huge replanning exercise, panic, long hours and barely any sleep until ship day, and a gut-wrenchingly hard time cutting, cutting, cutting features that would be considered "essential" in order to re-plumb the core underpinnings of the platform we've built.

Co signed as someone that leads dev teams too! I'm a tech lead at a software company, so I fully appreciate the risk.

GVA1987

I only have a rudimentary knowledge of the industry but have multiple friends and family that work within the field and when I quizzed them about it they agreed about how hair pullingly insane that would have been.

OT: Well done guys, I'm honestly not sure outside of screenshots what else you could add to make it complete for me now. Maybe "Xbox get me a beer".

RexNovis

Banned
Seems kind of odd to brag about adding basic functionality to your OS. It's easy to add features when your release OS is nearly universally maligned for lack there of. I mean they didn't even have storage management options on release. Seriously what the fuck? I can't think of any other user controlled device that didn't allow users to delete installed programs/apps. That's just asinine.

Some of you guys sure are dedicated. :)
Still, I guess Microsoft should be congratulated for improving their OS so much within a year, even if quite a few of these features should have potentially been there at launch.

arhra

I only have a rudimentary knowledge of the industry but have multiple friends and family that work within the field and when I quizzed them about it they agreed about how hair pullingly insane that would have been.

OT: Well done guys, I'm honestly not sure outside of screenshots what else you could add to make it complete for me now. Maybe "Xbox get me a beer".

I think that one's still a ways off. In the meantime, how about Xbox, get me a pizza?

I mean they didn't even have storage management options on release. Seriously what the fuck? I can't think of any other user controlled device that didn't allow users to delete installed programs/apps. That's just asinine.

You could always delete things.

You just couldn't see how much space games used, or how much you had left, so if you somehow managed to completely fill up your HDD and needed to free some up to install something new (if that was even possible at that point; you'd probably have had to have bought every single game available to do so), it would have been a bit of a guessing game figuring out what you might need to delete to make space for something new.

Still bad, and something that should absolutely have been there at launch, but not as bad as you're saying.

Top Bottom