• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Fomalhaut said:
Where can I find Brogs in Colony 9? I managed to find Cute Brogs, but I need the normal ones for a side-quest.
I just traded for those items as I too failed to find those enemies. The NPC who gives the quest gives you hints of one NPC that has them (and even says it would be easier to do so...makes you wonder why he can't do it himself). I also found another person who has the item (where to find the person)
in the commerical district sometime at night at the lantern stall with a woman next to him
, however they might not have it at lower affinities (as i'm at 3* affinity with Colony 9), still worth a punt.

I discovered trading a bit late into the game but it is a blessing for certain things.

McNum

Hmm, low on gold, all towns so far at just one star, missing a lot of art manuals, story kind of takes a breather at this point. Do I smell a sidequest spree coming up? I think I do! To Colony 9! A lot of easy fights would do wonders for building up affinity between my lesser used characters, too!

I've just been selling all material drops without a ! mark. Was that a bad idea?

Also, something I got curious about, does character affinity between party members change the story of the game, even slightly? It seems odd to have this just for a battle buff. A simple yes or no will do.

MicH

I can't believe people in the US gets their GAME order before I do - and I'm in Europe. I just don't understand it.

APZonerunner said:
Very sad, but it seems that #7 UK chart position won't stand for much - that week marks a ten-year low in terms of sales in the UK of gaming stuff, beating the week before, which was also a new ten-year low. In general that means that despite hitting number 7, they likely didn't need to sell very many to get there. Sad times.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/uk-software-sales-monitor-market-falls-to-pound-9-03m/083726

What probably matters more is that the game is sold out in most places and Nintendo actually has to do a second shipment and maybe even printing already.

Varion

McNum said:
Also, something I got curious about, does character affinity between party members change the story of the game, even slightly? It seems odd to have this just for a battle buff. A simple yes or no will do.
No it doesn't, but it's not just for 'a battle buff' either. Also determines how well gem crafting goes between those characters and opens up extra optional conversation scenes between the two characters at those special icons throughout the world.

bubnbob

Banned
McNum said:
Hmm, low on gold, all towns so far at just one star, missing a lot of art manuals, story kind of takes a breather at this point. Do I smell a sidequest spree coming up? I think I do! To Colony 9! A lot of easy fights would do wonders for building up affinity between my lesser used characters, too!

I've just been selling all material drops without a ! mark. Was that a bad idea?

No, if there wasn't a vision about it or part of a quest, you should be fine. Nothing is "missable" anyway.

No, it just allows you to equip/borrow more skills from them, and increase the chance of a Chain Link (when you start doing Chain Attacks). It is beneficial, but not for the story.

Phenomic

Sallokin said:
Where in FL? I'm near Cocoa Beach and got my copy from Game yesterday.

So angry I still don't have mine in the same state by this point then! I do have a question though. Did it come in a box and the post man had to deliver it by hand to you? Or is it small enough to fit in the mail box?

Fomalhaut

Neo Member
Starwolf_UK said:
I just traded for those items as I too failed to find those enemies. The NPC who gives the quest gives you hints of one NPC that has them (and even says it would be easier to do so...makes you wonder why he can't do it himself). I also found another person who has the item (where to find the person)
in the commerical district sometime at night at the lantern stall with a woman next to him
, however they might not have it at lower affinities (as i'm at 3* affinity with Colony 9), still worth a punt.

I discovered trading a bit late into the game but it is a blessing for certain things.

Got it, thanks!

reektann

So I just walked onto Gaur Plains and noticed my eyebrows were up as high as possible. I started to run along then the heavens opened and a huge thunderstorm started with fork lightning which caused my heart to explode.

Fantastic.

mug

I just finished the Colony 6 boss fight - do you ever go back to Colony 9? I still have quite a few quests that need to be finished. Starting with that dumb woman's biscuit delivery, couldn't find her after I gave em the goods.

Sallokin

Phenomic said:
So angry I still don't have mine in the same state by this point then! I do have a question though. Did it come in a box and the post man had to deliver it by hand to you? Or is it small enough to fit in the mail box?
It was slightly too big for the mailbox because I got the CE. Mailman left it at my front door.

Mojojo

Duh just discovered you can offer collectables as presents between your party characters :p grinding relationships should be easier.

Btw When you have a quest where you have the choice between two kind of items to complete it (there are several cases in the game), can you you collect both then choose which one you give when speaking to the quest giver? Or the first item you get will be decisive? I got a quest where
a nopon does a mixture, giving choice between walnuts and bitter kiwi, and I had already all the walnuts, but i wanted to give the kiwis : /

Edit : thanks for the explanations Starwolf. Guess i'll be more careful next time .

bubnbob

Banned
mug said:
I just finished the Colony 6 boss fight - do you ever go back to Colony 9? I still have quite a few quests that need to be finished. Starting with that dumb woman's biscuit delivery, couldn't find her after I gave em the goods.

You can go back to Colony 9 at any time. Just warp there.

Phenomic

Sallokin said:
You're much closer to Miami. It's that kind of stuff that baffles me. I got mine on the 7th day of waiting so hopefully today is your day.

Does it all get routed through Miami? I have no idea how the post office works nor where they have the major hubs in this state.

McNum

bubnbob said:
No, if there wasn't a vision about it or part of a quest, you should be fine. Nothing is "missable" anyway.

No, it just allows you to equip/borrow more skills from them, and increase the chance of a Chain Link (when you start doing Chain Attacks). It is beneficial, but not for the story.
Ah, thanks. So Xenoblade doesn't have a hidden dating sim part. I'm kind of relieved, really. Those things are usually undocumented and a pain to keep up with. More chain attacks are good, though. Must have more of those.

Of course nothing is missable, when you think about it. It's Xenoblade, the game almost seems to take pride in removing all the dick moves of many JRPGs. There's no Zodiac Spear crap here.

mjc

Mr. Wonderful said:
So my copy shipped last Friday from Zavvi. Really hoping today will be the day. Or at least sometime this weekend.
My copy shipped last Monday, it'll most likely be a crapshoot for when it shows up. I have an extra patience cap for you to wear if you're interested.

Mojojo said:
Btw When you have a quest where you have the choice between two kind of items to complete it (there are several cases in the game), can you you collect both then choose which one you give when speaking to the quest giver? Or the first item you get will be decisive?
First item locks the quest down that path and the other item vanishes. In one particular quest its based off materials (or collectables) and having any of them in your inventory will lock you to that side which means you might not get the conclusion you would prefer (which is the quest you mentioned in the edit).

I think the outcomes are mutual in terms of unlocking other quests (these other quests might have differing item rewards but reputation is the same) and repuation in any case but it just changes what the links between characters are or even change some NPC locations. Its probably best to save in these cases if you want to see both endings in cases where this is possible.

The same goes for heart to hearts. I've not really been doing it much but getting the wrong choice on the first question changes what conversation happens which you might like for background purpposes. For instance the Shulk - Sharla Green affinity one on Guar Plains
saying you don't belive the Monado (I chose this one as I thought it was "its amazing", rather than "thats not possible") ends up on a conversation about what Sharla would like to see in the future and no, I did not pick Juju getting married...(as negatives on the second choice seem to only change one sentence and leave the rest of the conversaiton unchanged)
. For affinity purposes you'll want a perfect outcome. It kind of reminds me of the Skies of Arcadia swashbucker thing mixed with Fire Emblem support conversations.

Nearly 30 hours on the clock now.

Did a few sidequests but the EXP was negligible so I got bored and progressed the plot a little more. I would have appreciated a word of warning that once you enter the Tomb you can't leave, but I didn't have any trouble with any of the enemies or the boss so I needn't have been concerned. Seemed easier to concentrate on the Telethia since it could deal the most damage, then take on Tryea (sp?). Dunban/Shulk/Sharla is working brilliant so I'm going to stay with them for awhile longer.

Tomorrow I think I'll have a lull and try raising party affinity, re-equip everyone and level them up after Melia's vacation and craft some more gems. Might lend a hand in Colony 6 too if I can be bothered.

Story:
I think the plot is surprisingly straight forward compared to the usual convoluted plotlines you can get, assuming I'm understanding everything correctly at this point in time. So the Bionis Order and the Faces are trying to awaken Bionis by draining Ether from the world which would lead to complete extinction for one end or another. The game needed a betrayal though so Alvis stepped in. *Shakes fist*. Looks like it's time to trot off to Prison Island and see what has been imprisoned there for decades. Plot twists a plenty on the horizon? I hope so.

VillageBC

So I'm curious what combat techniques people are using and finding success with? I'll hide it behind spoilers since I know people can be sensitive with character spoilers. I'm level 53.

Main Party, Shulk, Dunban and Sharla. I use that combo for boss fights. Pretty much melee focused, with Sharla handling the healing role. Chain attack setup so Break, Topple and Daze then hoping for extra attacks for more damage.

Beyond that, I'll play around a bit with Melia taking Dunbans spot while just doing side quests. Could be I've gone down the wrong skill paths, but I just cannot find an effective group without having Shulk maining it. I just tend to die, even against normals mobs of equal level.

Sallokin

Phenomic said:
Does it all get routed through Miami? I have no idea how the post office works nor where they have the major hubs in this state.
As far as I understand it, Miami is the hub for all overseas mail

MechaX

Just got my copy in the mail.

Too bad I have to tear myself from playing Deus Ex: HR to play another hopefully superb game.

Phenomic

RPGCrazied said:
I know I'm not doing zavvi ever again. lol Lesson learned.

Eh, you act like there's a much better alternative. I mean with GAME I paid for estimated 4 to 6 business day shipping and that hasn't really gotten me anywhere. I just think it has more to do with your location than anything else, and how effective your post office is. I'm not in a super small town, but no means a major hub. Each and every time I've gone into my post office it's been a nightmare, and at more than one location so I'm pretty much contributing it to that at this point.

RPGCrazied

Mail hasn't come today, but my expectations say no it won't be today. I actually got an email back from them this morning. So they want me to wait another 10 more days before they can claim its been lost in the post.

Thanks for your email

I am really sorry that you have not received your order.

This was sent to you on 15/8/11

Delivery usually takes 3-5 working days.

We need to allow a further 5 days for your delivery to still arrive before this can been classed as lost in the post.

If you have not received this by the 5/9/11 we can then start to trace this for you.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me

Regards
Nancy

MicH

Yeah, none are really better than each other.There are gaffers who are waiting on their copies from pretty much all the shops; ASDA, Zavvi, GAME, 365games etc. Who gets it when is most likely just down to luck. Hell, some Europeans still don't have their games yet, me included :)()

MechaX

RPGCrazied said:
I know I'm not doing zavvi ever again. lol Lesson learned.

To be fair, you're at the luck of the draw when it comes to overseas shipping of any kind from any place. I've had shipments from Japan take anywhere between 5 days and two weeks. I would start worrying if your copy doesn't get to you by early next week.

RPGCrazied

Yeah. It just stings when people that live in my state are getting their copies, and not me. How do you Europeans deal with this? Can't say I'll be importing a game again.

LProtag

RPGCrazied said:
Mail hasn't come today, but my expectations say no it won't be today. I actually got an email back from them this morning. So they want me to wait another 10 more days before they can claim its been lost in the post.

I think it has a lot to do with local post offices and their shipping/sorting speeds than it does with distributors. Though then again the decision of what major cities the importer sent their product to could have a factor to play in this.

I doubt it's lost in the mail, filing that you've got lost post doesn't make it show up any faster anyway.

RPGCrazied said:
Yeah. It just stings when people that live in my state are getting their copies, and not me. How do you Europeans deal with this? Can't say I'll be importing a game again.
buy from ebay and ask for tracking. lol.

MechaX

RPGCrazied said:

USPS just has its own sets of priorities and what not when it comes to distributing mail, so its not uncommon for neighbors to get things before you even if you matched the time of ordering and the place too. And even the smallest delay somewhere in the chain can slow things. That's just how mail works in general.

vitacola

RPGCrazied said:
Maybe your package got stuck in traffic, missed its flight and has to wait one week now for a new flight :p

EDIT: Oh, of course the other package, which is already in the state, stole the car of yours ;)

Top Bottom