• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Gamer Interviews SNK (On leaving Pachislot, Mark of the Wolves 2, KOFXIV dev etc.)

Zubz

Banned
I'm super stoked to hear SNK's got their groove back! I'm curious about the MK-inspired Samurai Shodown; that seems like it can go wrong, but my interest is still piqued, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Either way, I'm excited to see what's next from SNK!

And even if Capcom screwed them with CvS/SvC, I still wonder what it'd be like if they did a Vs. game with someone else? I mean, Capcom has Marvel and, NRS has DC (Well, it's more the other way, but...); part of me really wants to see SNK Vs. Dark Horse, or Shonen Jump. And that's without even getting into crossovers with other fighting game devs.

JayEH

Developing a brand new engine for KOF IV was cheaper than using Unreal engine?

No it's says in the article since they didn't have much experience with 3D that they just decided to work on their engine instead of trying to learn Unreal.

KingJ2002

So... let me get this straight

There's been talks for a new:

- MOTW (Fatal Fury)
- Metal Slug
- AOF
- World Heroes
- Samurai Shodown
- Athena
- Buriki-One

just... just do it all. there's no complaints from me.

TreIII

I'm super stoked to hear SNK's got their groove back! I'm curious about the MK-inspired Samurai Shodown; that seems like it can go wrong, but my interest is still piqued, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Either way, I'm excited to see what's next from SNK!

I think it could go over well, actually, as long as SNK just gives Neo_G and a team the time and support to do such a thing well. And with the kind of resume Neo_G has, I would trust him quite a bit with that.

Once upon a time, Samurai Shodown was the most important and relevant brand that SNK had in the US. The stylish and visceral combat definitely helped get it there, and everything was good until SS3 messed things up permanently. Suffice to say, I think a SS that tried to recapture what made it such a hit back in the 90s would be very welcome to see. And especially in this day and age where Bamco is continuing to treat Soulcalibur like a redheaded stepchild, there's no better time for SNK to be poised to have SS's cred won back from the very series that helped steal its "shine" in the first place!

Regarding an Arcsys v. Capcom fighter:

And some time later, ASW's first inclination was proven right with everything that became of the poor game known as Sengoku BASARA X.

Everything I heard about that game, towards the tail end just sounded like a disaster. Capcom wasn't willing to give the game more support, so ASW didn't have any more reason to do so either. They threw in the two extra characters into the console port that was put out like less than three months after the arcade version, and called it a wrap. Not to mention that both parties were eventually focused more on their next gen fighting game efforts (SF4, BB), on the same token.

- MOTW (Fatal Fury)
- Metal Slug
- AOF
- World Heroes
- Samurai Shodown
- Athena
- Buriki-One

Pretty much. I'm really curious as to what a modern-day Athena/Psycho Soldier game would be like

near

Gold Member
I would die for a new Garou, it holds too many childhood memories for me. Or even a remaster.

YaGaMi

I really do miss the SNK I grew up with the 90's even though they weren't mainstream in the West I don't think they'll ever come back to their former glory. Won't be getting my hopes up.

Raitaro

- MOTW (Fatal Fury)
- Metal Slug
- AOF
- World Heroes
- Samurai Shodown
- Athena
- Buriki-One

Quite an awesome list indeed. They have my full support and I'd happily buy each of these (unless they turn out shitty of course...).

I really do miss the SNK I grew up with the 90's even though they weren't mainstream in the West I don't think they'll ever come back to their former glory. Won't be getting my hopes up.

At least their heart seems to be in the right place with the recent hires and name change, and who knows what kind of financial backing they have by their Chinese overlords. I for one choose to believe that they might find success still.

Top Bottom