• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-bit side-scrolling platformer The Transylvania Adventure of Simon Quest announced for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC

Retrowave has announced 8-bit side-scrolling platformer The Transylvania Adventure of Simon Quest for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC (Steam). It will launch in 2025.

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
The Transylvania Adventure of Simon Quest is a parody/homage side-scrolling platformer that immerses players in an ominous 8-bit world. The titular hero named Simon Quest has just arrived in Transylvania only to discover his vampire hunting rival, Stan Helsing, has already slain the evil Count Dracula. In order to reclaim the glory that should be his, he journeys across Wallachia to gather what he needs to resurrect the dark count piece by piece and kick his ass himself!

bela__1_.gif

Sequence Breaking Encouraged!​

In both the overworld and in mansions, there are plenty of alternate pathways (and choices) you can make. You may think every mansion has a linear route, but you'll find there are other paths you can take to clear them! For those adventurous enough to seek an unorthodox journey in the overworld, you can even try taking on later mansions early. In fact, doing so might even yield you a different ending...

TASQ-Bathory-comp.gif

Minigames Galore!​

When you need to catch a break from your perilous journey for glory, consider drowning yourself in minigames! Scattered throughout the world, you can challenge yourself with Memory, roll out in Crabbin Races, try your hand at Crane Game, or even do some Launch Surfing!

2024-01-03_Minigames.gif

Different Equipment Chains​

You'll find plenty of gnarly weapons and items to help you become the rightful hero of this story. The only question is: Which of them are worthy of you?

2024-01-03_Equipment.gif

Built-In Randomizer​

Mix up your experience by randomizing items, or enable other options in the game to craft a truly unique journey!

spirit_woods.gif

CamHostage

Total ripoff, but it also looks like it plays well and has a few strong design elements. Good luck to them getting it through, I hope it's good.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
If this doesn’t get C&Dd into a far galaxy by tomorrow, Konami needs to hire better ninjas.
Or maybe they’re just waiting for Nintendo to unleash theirs, seeing there’s totally a Super Metroid boss in that video.

And then there’s a fucking fishing game.

Please Stop Cecily Strong GIF by Saturday Night Live

00_Zer0

This is made by the Prison City developer. If none of the code, or assets are ripped from real Castlevania games there is nothing Konami can do. I admit that title itself is wildly close to being confused for a real Castlevania game. It's really clever, but the developer may escape Konami's wrath since Castlevania isn't in the title. The guy's name is Quest, Simon Quest, after all. 😋 He is definitely, positively, 100 % NOT a Belmont!😂🤣🤣

Edit-It looks good and I already wish listed it!

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

Rips off Castlevania, rips off Kick Master, this won't end well. Using a game name as protagonist name might count as trademark infringement, it's like calling a Street Fighter boss "Nintendo". Also getting Tetris vs Xio vibes here, basically there has been enough time between the release of the original Castlevania and this game to have incorporated new game styles, art and mechanisms to make them play differently.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Castlevania clones are almost a genre (separate from just Metroidvanias) nowadays, there are so many I can't believe this is the first one some get to see. And yes of course there's nothing Konami can do about it since they aren't ripping any of their assets or whatever else, guess some are blind too.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

I mean it is a rip off but it does look amazing and looks to be a really solid title.Not like Konami is doing anything with the Castlevania IP in games anyway so I say bring it!

On my most anticipated list of 2025 it goes!

see you in 2025. Fun to imagine the state of this game beyond what’s shown in the trailer

Are these action shots the only thing that exists… just a few panning screens with an gameplay idea…and there is nothing else made?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Legalities aside, I don't know how much I want a classic CV clone but the text has me more interested. Equipment load outs, progression route choices, and randomiser are all good things to have in a game to keep it interesting for a long time. Worth keeping an eye on, and not just for the legal distinction ifs and maybes.

digdug2

Koji Igarashi and his team didn't get sued for Bloodstained, which looked and played a whole hell of a lot like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. The two Curse of the Moon games also looked and played very much like the Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse. Whether Konami likes it or not, Bloodstained set a major precedence.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Putting "Simon Quest" in the title, and then having the similarity in the logo, the key art, the.... everything... I mean, it's borderline. Konami won't do anything about it, because they don't even know what planet they're on at this point, so it's moot.

Game looks fine. The shamelessness of it all is the only real draw.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Castlevania clones are almost a genre (separate from just Metroidvanias) nowadays, there are so many I can't believe this is the first one some get to see. And yes of course there's nothing Konami can do about it since they aren't ripping any of their assets or whatever else, guess some are blind too.
This one goes well beyond mere homage, though.
The energy bars, the scene with the castle gates, the flame whip, the Super Metroid boss... should I go on? And that's just the trailer. I'd you don't call this a ripoff, what does the dev have to do more? Call the game "Simonvania"?

Curse of the Moon is more of a Castlevania homage in graphics than it is in any of its gameplay. And it does its own thing. This game here, it's like the dev is on a mission to push the whole thing as close to being sued as possible.

digdug2

This one goes well beyond mere homage, though.
The energy bars, the scene with the castle gates, the flame whip, the Super Metroid boss... should I go on? And that's just the trailer. I'd you don't call this a ripoff, what does the dev have to do more? Call the game "Simonvania"?

Curse of the Moon is more of a Castlevania homage in graphics than it is in any of its gameplay. And it does its own thing. This game here, it's like the dev is on a mission to push the whole thing as close to being sued as possible.
Simonvania would have been a better name.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Here's another classic Castleclone I remembered at random, a real blast from the past, cos yeah Castlevania clones aren't even a new thing. I bring you the Mosesvania from the distant 2003. I think its developer later became Team Ladybug now known for other Metroidvanias & other such games.

Then again there were such games on consoles back in the day too, it's not a modern indie invention.

Last edited:
Top Bottom