• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A dashboard tracking Russian propaganda on Twitter

B4s5C

So Clint Watts and the Alliance for Securing Democracy launched a new dashboard website to track Russian propaganda on Twitter.

http://dashboard.securingdemocracy.org/

Summary from the site:

We examined unique stories that appeared each day in the lists of Top and Trending URLs from July 21 to July 31, 2017. Articles were categorized according to issues they addressed, including primary, secondary, and tertiary themes, as many stories speak to multiple issues. The three most common primary issues out of the 91 stories analyzed involved US partisan politics, the conflict in Syria, and the investigation of Special Prosecutor Robert Mueller. Digging deeper, the 54 stories related to partisan politics include 30 hostile to the Democratic Party, 14 supportive of President Drumpf, 2 hostile to the Republic Party establishment, and 2 targeting the U.S. Intelligence Community. Of 18 stories related to Syria, 14 attacked US actions, while 4 lauded the actions of Russia and their allies. The 9 articles targeting Robert Mueller and his investigation were uniformly hostile.

Summary by Business Insider:

• A new website is attempting to track the spread of Russian propaganda and themes on Twitter in real time.
  • The project is an attempt to undermine Russia's disinformation campaign in the United States and the West more broadly.
  • Researchers are continously monitoring roughly 600 Twitter accounts "selected for their relationship to Russian-sponsored influence and disinformation campaigns."

Amazing! I'm hoping to find information on any complex network mapping or knowledge graphing they are using or if it is purely just 600 chosen accounts based on tweet history.

snap0212

It's a good idea, but a shitty execution. They should take the stories posted and examine them not for their content or for their sources, but for the truth of the content posted. That's everything I care about, to be honest.

I'm too stupid to find the links to the tweets that make up their statistic. I don't get how this website works?!

Afrodium

Banned
"Top hashtags: 1. maga"

Checks out.

Man, it's so disheartening to see such an effective disinformation campaign like this is real time. I mean look at this, it's clear as day that Russia has a stake in the Trump presidency, but anything like this is instantly ignored by people successfully influenced by the disinformation campaign.

The OP says that the goal of this is to undermine Russia, but anyone that needs to be influenced by this will just claim it's fake data from salty Democrats.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
To be expected. It is good to see it confirmed that a lot of the MAGA, Seth Rich, and Calexit hashtags are coming from Russian propaganda.

Top Bottom