• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A new Ape Escape game needs to be made by the team behind Astro’s Playroom.

Kacho

FUCK you, OP. I read the thread title as "A new Ape Escape game is being made by the team behind Astro’s Playroom" and I got excited. :c
I did too actually.

Never cared for the games personally but this would be a perfect pairing.

Gudji

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

I think a lot of people don't really remember Ape Escape... there wasn't much to the original games.

Ape Escape 3 really had to try and stretch out gameplay mechanics. The game would need basically an entire reboot and maybe turn into more of modern puzzle/party game.

Probably better suited to mobile.

I think a lot of people don't really remember Ape Escape... there wasn't much to the original games.

Ape Escape 3 really had to try and stretch out gameplay mechanics. The game would need basically an entire reboot and maybe turn into more of modern puzzle/party game.

Probably better suited to mobile.
Played the first one from ps plus and gotta say, agree with this. I loved it as a kid but I got through like 5 levels and was done with it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
no. fuck that.

Ape escape can easily be made for a modern audience and i'd argue it's easy as shit too. The games also had quite a lot of variety in the level design, themes, gameplay mechanics, etc. far more than you imply there was at least.
Will the market support a $70 Ape Escape game though?
hey it can support a 60 dollar mario game so anything's possible. there's also the option of not making it 70 dollars. astros playroom was free ffs
i'm all for bringing back old franchises, revive ape escape

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dude I've tried. I downloaded 1 and 2 off psn and it's shit. I can't play these games anymore.
These games did not aged. They got robbed of life and are ded.
... and I enjoyed them "AS A LITTLE KID"

There is nothing to build new game around. You catch monkeys in a net and hit them with light saber ...

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Dude I've tried. I downloaded 1 and 2 off psn and it's shit. I can't play these games anymore.

There is nothing to build new game around. You catch monkeys in a net and hit them with light saber ...
There is nothing to build new game around. You jump on weird deformed angry penis heads and hit them with fireballs.

Last edited:
no. fuck that.

Ape escape can easily be made for a modern audience and i'd argue it's easy as shit too. The games also had quite a lot of variety in the level design, themes, gameplay mechanics, etc. far more than you imply there was at least.

hey it can support a 60 dollar mario game so anything's possible. there's also the option of not making it 70 dollars. astros playroom was free ffs
i'm all for bringing back old franchises, revive ape escape

I think platformers are largely dead.

Aside from brand recognition of Mario and Sonic, there really isn't much there. Even Kirby which sold just over 5 million units on Switch is easily more recognizable than Ape Escape.

Any Ape Escape game for 60 dollars today maxes out at 500K to 1 million units, which for Sony really just isn't worth it.

Edit: A Jak game makes more sense than Ape Escape at this point.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

Aside from brand recognition of Mario and Sonic, there really isn't much there. Even Kirby which sold just over 5 million units on Switch is easily more recognizable than Ape Escape.

Any Ape Escape game for 60 dollars today maxes out at 500K to 1 million units, which for Sony really just isn't worth it.

Edit: A Jak game makes more sense than Ape Escape at this point.
Jak games were always bad. Only good one was the PSP spin off.

Power Pro

What the hell are you even talking about? get out of her with this crap. I actually recently played Ape Escape 2 and had a blast with it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
ya think? I mean the best solution to the death of platformers is to literally just make more of them. they died in the first place because companies ventured to other genres. And i agree with you that making another Jak isn't a bad idea.
Also considering the production values of most nintendo games 5 million is a success. That makes Kirby and the Forgotten Land the best selling kirby of all time

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Agree OP, unfortunately my sources tell me it’ll be made by Neil Druckman and it will be about releasing monkeys (because animal captivity is wrong) and eating vegan.

You’ll play as a strong female who can bend the metal bars with just her strength.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Platformers died because the only studio that could make one to rival Mario was bought by Microsoft and made to make completely different stuff.
if naughty dog and insomniacs output is anything to go by, no rare were not the only people to make a platformer who could rival mario

nial

Gold Member
if naughty dog and insomniacs output is anything to go by, no rare were not the only people to make a platformer who could rival mario
3D Marios are TOO overrated IMO. I mean, I think they're pretty good and all, but people treat them like these sacred cows that can't be outdone. The best thing about Odyssey was its tight controls, something Astro's Playroom has already come close to. And if anything, 3D Mario should evolve to be more like Rescue Mission, but that won't happen until Nintendo gets big on VR.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
3D Marios are TOO overrated IMO.
only one that truly deserves the reputation it got was 64 because i honestly think no other 3d platformer has surpassed it nor has any future 3d mario come close. It's also exactly why i agree with you, people herald sunshine, galaxy, and odyssey... fine games and all but there's a difference between a game you find really fun and a true masterpiece in gameplay design like 64, the latter games have too many flaws and major issues with them.
I was expecting kanjobazooie kanjobazooie to be the OP.
it would have been a GigaBowser GigaBowser thread if he prefaced it with something dramatic like "The gods have spoken, and they have said that...*insert thread title here*"

Lupin25

I would love this, but they should definitely finish a full expansion/new game for Astro’s Playroom first.

Had a fantastic time with the tech demo, an experience only rivalled by other PS next-gen exclusives so far.

nial

Gold Member
only one that truly deserves the reputation it got was 64
I agree on that, it's the one that pushed 3D game design forward and was actually pretty fucking great. But take Galaxy on the other hand; it's a good game, but it leans more towards style than actual substance.

Top Bottom