• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Retrospective and Analysis of the Japanese Pokemon Anime Openings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm not a big fan of anime in general, but I do enjoy anime openings, so recently I was checking out some videos by YouTuber "Mother's Basement", one of which was a review of the Top 10 anime Openings of 2015. Though the latest Pokemon Opening, XY&Z, didn't place he still commended it on being an Opening that really gets you pumped up, even if admittedly the actual show isn't the greatest out there.

wWQbNXJ.png

If you know anything about me you know I love the Pokemon anime, I'm one of its biggest supporters and I've basically seen every episode of the show except for the latter part of Best Wishes---and I've been trying to rectify that---and seeing that this dude has a channel dedicated to breaking down anime Openings an idea hit me. Hey, I think I could do that for the Japanese Pokemon Openings!

So, this thread will be a neat little review of every Japanese Pokemon Opening from the original "Mezase Pokemon Master" to "XY&Z", which is around eighteen or so Openings---I say "or so" because some of them have alternative versions. I'll begin with an introduction to the song, as well as a YouTube link, explaining when it was used, who was responsible for it, and interesting trivia about them. I'll also be giving my thoughts on how I feel about the OP.

Next I'll be posting the translated lyrics, provided by Bulbapedia which seem to be faithful enough. After that is the part I think will be most interesting, a scene-by-scene breakdown of the Opening examining various stylistic elements it uses, how it introduces characters and thematic elements, and hopefully various trivia that both new and old fans should find interesting. I'll admit I don't have any proper training when it comes to analyzing media necessarily, so I might not use the right terminology here and there, but I think I did a good job at doing a fairly deep reading into them and hopefully changing how you perceive the Opening for better or worse.

I don't wanna spend too much time talking about the dub, but at the end I'll give a quick write-up on what the corresponding dub opening was.

Though I'm talking about the Japanese OPs, for the benefit of casual fans I'll mainly be sticking to the English terminology when it comes to the names of Pokemon, attacks, and other miscellaneous franchise elements, though I will be using the Japanese names of the human characters since there are moments where that will help clarify I'm talking about an element of the Japanese version that isn't in the dub. Before each entry I'll list out the Japanese -> English translations for those of you who aren't familiar with them.

Finally one additional note about terminology---in Japan there are multiple series of the Pocket Monsters anime. There's not necessarily a huge change between them, except for Ash's traveling companions of course and various staff changes, most people consider the show a singular monolith, but for the purpose of the thread please note that there are currently seven series. The Original Series, "Pocket Monsters", consisting of Kanto, Orange Islands, and Johto (OS). Pocket Monsters Advanced Generation, consisting of Hoenn and the Kanto Battle Frontier (AG). Pocket Monsters Diamond and Pearl, consisting of Sinnoh (DP). Pocket Monsters Best Wishes consisting of Unova and the Decolore Islands (BW). Pocket Monsters XY (XY), consisting of the first part of Kalos, and then Pocket Monsters XY&Z (XYZ), consisting of the second part of Kalos and yes it does seem to be counted as a separate series in terms of restarting the episode count officially though many fans merge the two as a single series. Presumably there will also be a new series starting for Sun and Moon, which I'll update with once it airs in November.

With that introduction out of the way let's begin with Mezase Pokemon Master! [Posting as we speak]

Watch Da Birdie

1zRPlj5.jpg

Mezase Pokemon Master (Aim To Be A Pokemon Master) - YouTube Link
OS EP001-080
Singer: Rica Matsumoto
Lyrics: Akihito Toda
Composer: Hirokazu Tanaka
Arrangement: Cher Watanabe

Satoshi = Ash
Professor Ookido = Professor Oak
Kasumi = Misty
Takeshi = Brock
Rocket Gang = Team Rocket
Junsar = Jenny

The Introduction

Mezase Pokemon Master is THE Japanese Pokemon Opening, the most iconic, most memorable, and most remixed song of them all---though it hasn't been used in the show for quite awhile, the last time I recall it being used was as an insert song during the Sinnoh League, and during Best Wishes in one episode Ash and another character hummed it, it's one of those songs I imagine pretty much everyone who loves Pokemon in Japan has probably memorized even if they weren't around during the Original Series. In addition to this version there are four notable remixes---the 1998 version used in the Mewtwo film, the 2001 version by Whiteberry which served as the 4th opening of the Original Series which I'll talk about, the second 2001 version sung by Matsumoto from the Celebi film, and finally the 2002 version with coba aiding Matsumoto that plays in the Latios and Latias film. The song has also been used in various medleys, notably in the third opening of Advanced Generation Pokemon Symphonic Medley.

I got into the Japanese version of the Pokemon anime during the Hoenn season, but quickly discovered the older themes online (through an old site called "Anime Opening Archive", I believe it was called?) and from the moment I heard it I could tell why and how Mezase Pokemon Master was such a memorable song, even though I couldn't understand a word of it at the time. It really embodies that old-school 90's style with the nicely done hand-drawn animation, though perhaps not the best (look at Pikachu's run cycle during the Arcanine scene), and the snappy synthesizer music that fills me with nostalgia for days long gone by. In truth it's not my favorite Pokemon Opening song, I actually like the next song a bit better, but nothing will ever gain the same amount of recognition or respect as the first since the largest amount of people have been exposed to it.

hYvgAWx.jpg

This song also introduces three important people when it comes to the Japanese Opening themes; first there's Rica Matsumoto, the voice of Satoshi, who has sung the majority of Pokemon themes throughout the years. In this song she is basically singing from Satoshi's point-of-view, but the tone she uses is slightly different from his speaking voice so it's not quite a "character song", with a later Opening actually having her sing as specifically Satoshi. I find Mezase Pokemon Master interesting for an anime Opening as it's a song sung in-universe and connects to the series, whereas quite a lot of anime Openings are nice songs but don't necessarily connect to the show they represent. Take the first Opening to Digimon Adventure, Butter-Fly, which is a great and memorable song but doesn't have much to do with Digimon as it's more or less a love song despite Digimon Adventure basically being void of any romantic elements. Mezase Pokemon Master is a song that's truly specific to the anime it hails from and couldn't be the theme song to any other show, and that's neat.

7C5ewcv.png

Second the song was composed by Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka, a name that if you have any knowledge of Nintendo history you should be familiar with as he was responsible for the scores of many classic games such as Metroid, Kid Icarus, and Super Mario Land and was instrumental in the development of the Game Boy as well as being the co-designer of both the Game Boy Camera and the Game Boy Printer which had a link to the Pokemon video-game series due to the Camera featuring the original Generation 1 sprites as "stamps" and the Game Boy Printer being compatible with Pokemon Gold and Silver. Eventually Tanaka was approached by the then-President of Creatures Inc., Tsunekazu Ishihara, who asked Tanaka to do some songs for the Pokemon anime. According to an interview with him Tanaka actually didn't think much of Pokemon at first and goofed off when composing a couple songs, but it speaks to his genius that even when he wasn't giving it his full effort the songs he created for the show ended up as iconic songs. Eventually Tanaka was forbidden by Nintendo to continue doing guest work for Creatures Inc., as they had a policy against working for outside companies, which eventually caused Tanaka to quit and permanently join Creatures Inc. He also claims other issues at the time made him consider a change, and I wonder if that possibly could be related to Gunpei Yokoi leaving the company since the two must've worked together on Kid Icarus, Metroid, and the Game Boy. Tanaka was eventually made the President of Creatures Inc. and still creates songs for the anime to this day as well as producing Pokemon titles like the PokePark series and Great Detective Pikachu.

lll5EP7.jpg

Finally the lyrics were written by Akihito Toda, a Creatures Inc. employee who in addition to writing various songs for the anime, even till today, was also the executive editor responsible for the "Pokemon Tales" picture book series and wrote a large amount of the books himself. I can't find that much information about him compared to the other two, this is the best picture of him even, probably since often the writer doesn't get the same amount of appreciation as the singer and the composer of course, so I don't know what else he's doing nowadays since the Pokemon Tales series hasn't had any new additions since the Johto era. He seems to have assisted with the MOTHER series, his greatest contribution being MOTHER 2, and worked on Pokemon Channel.

Bc4Cv6c.jpg

I couldn't find much about Cher Watanabe, except for the fact that he only did a few songs---but has actually returned just this year by providing the new Rocket Gang character song "Team Rocket's Team Song" (using the English name here since it's a good translation of the original pun, Rocket-Dan Danka).

The Lyrics

I'll get you, Pokémon!

Even if in fire, in water, in grass, in forests
In ground, in clouds, in that girl's skirt (eek!)

It's very, very,
Very, very difficult but
I'm sure I'll get you!
I'll get you, Pokémon!

Farewell, bye-bye, Masara Town
I'm leaving on a journey with him (Pikachu!)
Racking up wins with the moves we've trained
Making friends, and then off to the next city

Always and forever doing well
Though there's no guarantee of that... (That's true!)
Forever and always, I'll live true
Because they're here

Ah! I long to be a Pokémon Master
I want to be, I have to be
I know I'll be one!

Watch Da Birdie

The Breakdown

18wJab7.png

The Opening begins with the original seven Energy symbols from the trading card game circling around the screen, in America we got the TCG after the anime aired but in Japan the card game had been around for at least a year---perhaps this may be why the symbols do not appear in the English version of the opening? The Energy symbols would later appear on a poster in the show in "Showdown in Pewter City", and in the Japanese version of "Bad to the Bone" which features the actual "Dark Primeape" card with the Fighting-symbol though it was cut from the dub presumably due to U.S. advertising laws in children's media. Apart from this the TCG symbols have disappeared from the anime universe and have remained a unique staple of the card game.

Right at the beginning of the song we're treated to Rica Matsumoto, using her Satoshi voice, yelling the trademark line "Pokemon, getto da ze!" which translates into "get the Pokemon!" and can be seen as the equivalent of the American "Gotta Catch 'Em All!", except with less focus on a quantity and sounding a bit more natural as opposed to the obvious advertising slogan that was the English catchphrase. I'm actually not quite sure if this line originated with the anime, or if it was used in any media beforehand, but the anime definitely popularized it and unlike the English equivalent it persists in the show till today with a variant of it, "Everyone get the Pokemon!", being used by both Professor Ookido at the end of his post-credit segments and Satoshi at the end of the "Next Episode" sequences. One element lost in the translation is that the line tells us a lot about Satoshi's character from the get go before we even see him, the "ze" particle being one that is mainly used by males, thus we can figure out the person speaking is a boy even though a woman is voicing him, and also is a particle that is a bit rude but common among Shonen protagonists who are allowed to go beyond the realm of polite society and that may factor into their appeal. Thus we can likely guess that this is our protagonist speaking.

a609ggl.png

Next we're treated to our first appearance of a Pokemon on screen---and no, it's not the mascot of the franchise Pikachu but rather the one Pokemon who could be said to compete with him in terms of popularity, Charizard! Charizard is launching an attack as the camera quickly pans by as we then see the other two Box Mascots of the Generation I games, Blastoise and Venusaur, pop in. At this point the song starts as the singer lists off the variety of how far they'd go to catch Pokemon, the first three examples corresponding to the Starters as "in fire, in water, in grass". Next we finally see a glimpse of our protagonist Satoshi but it's rather brief, and his model somewhat shoddy, as the Pokemon once more take the stage as Pikachu runs by him and becomes the focus of the camera. While the lines are still listing off the places the singer would go to catch Pokemon, there's not quite the same cohesion between song and visuals as now she's just listing off "in forests, in ground, in clouds". Finally Pikachu runs under the legs of what one might think is the female protagonist, resembling the Lass class from the games, but said character only appears here and never again. This scene is in the English Opening as well leading to folks speculating that she was a cut character, possibly one of the other Palette Town kids, but in truth the reason she's here is that at this point in the Japanese Opening the singer states they'd go as far as "in that girl's skirt" to catch Pokemon. The girl is then heard screaming in the song. It's definitely one of those odd cultural differences where the most iconic song of a kid's franchise has a perverted joke like that, and if they ever officially translate the song into English I wonder how they'll handle it.

mOMbEED.png

We're then treated to a quick scene of various Pokemon flashing by on the screen with their names (written in romaji) displayed: Butterfree, Beedrill, Porygon, Snorlax, Hitmonchan, Dutrio, Clefairy, Alakazam, Gastly, Farfetch'd, Gloom, and Psyduck. There doesn't seem to be any particular rhyme or reason to the selection here, and only ten of the then 15 Types are represented. The lyrics at this point are merely talking about how difficult it is to catch Pokemon, the large amount show indicating how it can be a rather intimidating goal even though the Japanese version I don't believe ever indicates Satoshi specifically wants to "Catch 'Em All". Following the seizure incident there was a new version of this scene that was used in following episodes, and in re-runs, where the scenes of the Pokemon do not flash by one-by-one but instead four Pokemon are seen at once minimizing the flashing effects. The YouTube video, as seen above, seems to be from the original version as it still has the Pokemon appearing one-by-one and I wonder where such a high quality version of the original came from considering I'd assume the old version would basically be erased to prevent any future incidents? Despite Porygon being "banned" from the show after the seizure incident he wasn't removed from this segment. Also originally the Opening had Kadabra instead of Alakazam, yet the text was Alakazam's Japanese name, but this was quickly fixed so the right Pokemon was on the screen to match the text.

MCRezDl.png

Finally we got a nice shot of our protagonist, and even if you're just tuning into the show without any prior background knowledge the fact that he's the first human character extensively focused on should make it pretty clear he's our lead, doing the classic "hat turn" before throwing a PokeBall at the screen showing that he's the one who is "getting Pokemon". This is a pretty iconic shot and the animators use it quite frequently in the early episodes as stock footage to get around having to draw new footage every time Satoshi throws a Poke Ball---this is a show on your typical children's anime budget, after all---though the shot gets used less and less as the series progresses and basically disappears in the Johto season if I remember right. Satoshi turning his hat backwards is such a 90s move, and that's probably why he barely does it anymore, but it's very nostalgic among fans who grew up with the series and on the rare moments that he does so in the newer episodes it's usually a sign that things are about to get real. The "da ze" echoes as we transition into our next scene and the Opening really begins to focus on Satoshi.

v9XMgle.png

The next scene shows Satoshi riding atop a Lapras across the ocean, and considering Pikachu is misplaced in this scene otherwise since he isn't a Pokemon you'd expect to find living on the ocean we know that he's probably a Pokemon belonging to Satoshi while all the other Pokemon so far in this video are never really implied to be his, even Pikachu's first appearance doesn't really show a connection between Satoshi and him. This scene seems to possibly be a reference to a piece of early concept art from the "Capsule Monster" sketches of the Game Freak team that showed a nameless Trainer riding atop a Lapras, though it could be merely a coincidence since I don't think the animators would've known about that sketch back then as it hadn't been released online, and likewise there'd be no point in referencing a piece of concept art the fans certainly wouldn't recognize either. One can also see this as possibly foreshadowing to Satoshi obtaining a Lapras of his own during the Orange Islands saga, and though this might also be a coincidence an upcoming scene seems to indicate the writers had planned out certain plot points ahead of time and a capture of said Pokemon could've already been in the cards. Finally the scene ends with Dragonair and Gyrados leaping out of the water, who fit well alongside Lapras due to all three of them being considered rare and somewhat mythical Pokemon.

RnTSHGM.png

The next scene continues the focus on Satoshi with a rather nice shot of him overlooking a river as he looks over the horizon with determination, the lyrics indicating that he's leaving Palette Town and won't be returning anytime soon as he sets off on his journey. In my opinion this is the most memorable line of the song and the one that best communicates the theme of the Pokemon anime, Satoshi's constant journey, and it helps that the language used here ("Masara Town ni sayonara bye-bye") has enough English in it for even those without any knowledge of Japanese to get the general gist of. The camera then pans down beside Satoshi where Pikachu happily sits, the lyrics indicating that Pikachu is Satoshi's companion who he will journey with till (presumably) the end of the series, the bond between the two made quite apparent as we hear Pikachu squeal as the two are then shown walking through a featureless meadow without any clear destination or purpose, just a boy and his Pokemon enjoying one another's company. One has to wonder how different the show would've been if it stuck closer to the games and had Satoshi traveling on his own instead of with other human companions, but that might've been a bit of a hard sell for a weekly kid series.

IdF8ejk.png

We have a quick transitional scene of Satoshi shown throwing another Poke Ball, though this time rather than necessarily catching a Pokemon like the first Poke Ball scene implied he is instead sending out a Pokemon---I also recall this scene being used as stock footage quite a few times in the show, the nondescript and colorful background allowing it to be used in basically any situation that Satoshi would be calling forth a single Pokemon. The Pokemon that is shown to come out of the Poke Ball is Pidgeot, and like the example with Lapras above this seems to indicate the writers had planned pretty far ahead as Satoshi's Pidgeotto did not evolve into Pidgeot till the very end of the Kanto saga, the last episode that this Opening was used with in fact! We then see our first, and only, Pokemon Battle shown in the opening (the lyrics here being "racking up wins with the moves we've trained") as Pidgeot does battle with a Fearow, presumably the same Fearow that Pidgeot fights in the episode "Pallet Party Panic" who evolved from the Spearow Satoshi ticked off in the very first episode. Another edit to the Opening that happened after the seizure incident, but can be seen in the version I'm using from YouTube, is that the flashy screen effects that happen as the two clash with one another are removed since they could induce epilepsy. In truth these effects probably wouldn't cause the majority of folks any major harm, but from what I've heard the Japanese government did not play around after the incident and made sure nothing like it would ever happen again by introducing major rules regarding flashing effects on television. This is also why every anime now comes with the disclaimer to "sit away from the television in a brightly lit room", though perhaps they should probably change that to "computer" to fit the more modern method of anime distribution.

YVdex4K.png

Now it's time we meet Satoshi's human companions, Kasumi and Takeshi, who pop into a scene alongside him. Before they enter Satoshi is looking quite confident and mature, but when the two enter he suddenly looks a bit more naive and childish as they slightly shove him aside as they push their way into the frame. This tells us that among the three Satoshi is the youngest, Kasumi and Takeshi coming across as a bit more mature and wiser since they keep their composure while Satoshi seems unsure about himself with next to two people who have more experience interacting with the world than he does. One criticism I could make regarding Kasumi and Takeshi here relates to the Mom's Basement video I brought up in my introduction where one of the traits of a good Opening is one that allows you to quickly understand the characters, and one trait that he praises XY&Z for getting right as it has quite a bit of nice character moments that introduce you to the personalities of the main cast. Here we really don't learn much about Kasumi and Takeshi other than the fact that they're Satoshi's friends and they're nice people because they're smiling, putting aside the Pokemon-centric element that we don't even know any Pokemon that they own Kasumi's trademark "tsundere" personality is nowhere to be seen nor does Takeshi really embody his caring, parental side except for perhaps his stiff posture indicating his reliability. Now like any adaptation the Pokemon anime has the benefit of these two being based on Takeshi and Kasumi from the games, so there's already a bit of background knowledge about them to the majority of viewers, but ultimately this doesn't amount to much except for knowing they're Gym Leaders since their personality isn't really anything like the game characters', though this isn't a flaw necessarily since they were pretty flat in Red and Green. The lyrics during this scene makes it clear they're Satoshi's friends, in case you couldn't tell, talking about making friends and moving onward to the next city. Though beyond Takeshi and Kasumi this represents another reoccurring element of the show, the incredible amount of people Ash befriends on his journey as he makes his way from one town to the next.

S1og3jj.png

The Rocket Gang's introduction into the Opening is rather clever and fitting, rather than a simple cut to them they suddenly move into the frame (Musashi's unmistakable hair appearing first) with the lyrics "always and forever" also working well when you consider that the two of them will be chasing Satoshi and Pikachu till the end of time. Though game players will immediately recognize them as villains due to the red "R" on their shirts symbolizing their allegiance to the evil Rocket Gang, a first time viewer could perhaps assume they might be anti-heroes instead due to their white outfits and Kojiro holding a rose much like Tuxedo Mask, but their alignment becomes a bit more clear when their Pokemon Koffing, Meowth, and Ekans jump into the frame. Koffing and Ekans are obviously "bad Pokemon", though they're still cute like the majority of early Pokemon, since both are an unappealing shade of purple and are associated with dangerous elements, Koffing having a skull-and-crossbones on his stomach while Ekans is a creepy snake with slit eyes. Meowth is a tad cuter than the other two, and not quite an evil animal (especially since he's based on a symbol of good luck), but he's notably a more muted color when compared to Pikachu and if you figured out that Pikachu was meant to be some sort of mouse than it makes sense the Cat Pokemon would be his rival. One oddity about Meowth here is that he's shown apart from Musashi and Kojiro, despite being on an equal level with them and never really battling, and you probably wouldn't guess that he can talk going from this Opening alone. It's worth noting that his design here is a bit more "feral" than it'd eventually become, especially in the eyes, and perhaps he wasn't intended to be as humanoid as he'd eventually become when the writers first crafted him.

rvobIfg.png

The Rocket Gang themselves are then intruded on by Shigeru, another fitting transition given the rival character's tendency to butt-in in the games, who appears even more menacing than they do as he holds up a Poke Ball as if issuing a challenge. But, however, we can also assume by this that he isn't a straight-up villain like the Rocket Gang as his Pokemon don't just pop up ready to attack, instead the Poke Ball gives the indication that he's looking to show his strength in a fair fight. Even though Shigeru and the Rocket Gang represent the lone antagonists of the show, the song here is still rather positive as it talks about "always and forever doing well" which indicates that although Pokemon does indeed have villains and less friendly people in the world, the show is still ultimately an optimistic one where friendship tends to triumph over adversity. There's a quick scene right after showing the heroes running through the rain as Poliwrath and its line looks on with a slightly less optimistic "even though there's no guarantee of that" lyric, but that seems less pessimistic and more of a realization that things won't always go your way---and of course that ends up being the take away message at the end of the Indigo League. Note that while running through the rain Misty is the only one who isn't sheltering herself with her backpack which could be a cute nod towards her affinity with Water-types.

WiWB8LP.png

We finish off our introduction of the major players with a quick shot of Nurse Joy, Professor Ookido, Junsar, and Satoshi's mom. Notably Professor Ookido and Satoshi's mom, who are the closest supporters of the main character, are closer to the screen while Nurse Joy and Junsar who are merely friendly strangers are a bit further back. We know that unlike the previous characters these are obviously allies to the main cast since we recognize two of them as public servants, a nurse (game players likely knowing this is a nurse from the Pokemon Center) and a police office, while Professor Ookido's outfit gives off a scientist vibe while his stern expression indicates that he's probably rather intelligent as well. I don't know why he looks so pissed off here though because everywhere else in the series he's usually a friendly and affable guy, but I'm guessing the animators wanted to capture his original look from the games before deciding that his in-show character would lighten up. Note that Professor Ookido in the games has also lightened up over the years, his Fire Red and Leaf Green artwork looking far more approachable than the grumpy old man seen in the original art. Satoshi's mom is the only person here who doesn't have an obvious profession from their appearance alone, but considering she's a plainly dressed adult alongside other parental figures one should be able to probably figure out that she's Satoshi's mom. Or, in retrospect, at least I feel it's obvious. During this quick shot you hear a person go "that's true, isn't it?" in response to the previous "no gurantee" line. I assume this is Professor Ookido saying this since it sounds like Unsho Ishizuka and that'd be something his character would say, though I'm not necessarily sure. For the longest time I didn't realize this was actually a spoken line and thought that it was Poliwrath's voice from the previous scene somehow ending up delayed and played here.

6DbhhNO.png

There's another quick scene with the gang interacting with nature, this time the three protagonists sitting at a campfire in the middle of the woods---a common scene in the Pokemon anime, even if not shown presumably this happens quite often. Despite being rather small in the shot I think this scene does the best job at establish the roles of the three leads, as we see Satoshi looking rather restless and presumably with his mind preoccupied on his next Gym Battle, Kasumi is the most relaxed and seems to be enjoying nature as she takes in the taste of the air and the warmth of the fire, and Takeshi looks to be either cooking something within the fire or making sure it stays lit indicating him to be the caretaker of the group. The lyrics "forever and always, I'll live true because they're here" (though I've also seen the line translated as "because they [Pokemon] live life to the fullest") plays as we segue into an action sequence with Satoshi and Pikachu running alongside Arcanine and Rapidash, the latter jumping into the air as the Legendary Birds fly by showing how majestic the Pokemon World can be. This also set off some interesting theories about Arcanine being a Legendary since he appears alongside the Legendary Birds here and on a plaque in the first episode, though of course isn't the case. As Moltres flies by a bunch of random Pokemon begin to cry (all I can really make out is Pikachu and a bit of Bulbasaur) as the scene goes beyond the atmosphere into space as we're shown that the world cannot hold all the Pokemon as some Pokemon live even further beyond, specifically the Legendary Mewtwo and the Mythical Mew! Japanese players would've already known about Mew by this point, and likewise I remember knowing about Mew when I saw it appear in this scene in the English Opening as well.

06k1Kjt.png

The song hits its climax following the display of Legendaries as we see Satoshi standing in an empty Pokemon Stadium, his ultimate goal, as he slowly lifts two Poke Balls into the air as the song steadily shows how much he desires this goal---he longs to be a Pokemon Master, no he wants to be a Pokemon Master, no he HAS to be a Pokemon Master. And then Satoshi raises a Poke Ball in the air as the camera rotates around him to reveal Pikachu, Kasumi, and Takeshi as the Energy symbols from the beginning return and begin to swirl behind him as the Opening comes to a close. He KNOWS he'll be a Pokemon Master.

Watch Da Birdie

The Dub

The English version of the Pokemon anime did not keep Mezase Pokemon Master as its theme song, but this isn't really a surprise---I don't think any anime translated the Japanese opening back then, and few seem to do even nowadays, plus due to the differences in broadcast length between America and Japan the Opening left as is would've likely been too long, and indeed the dub's Opening is a bit shorter. The new song made for the dub, "The Pokemon Theme", is an extremely iconic and memorable song and is also fairly good as far as cartoon theme songs go, but it doesn't completely avoid a bit of cheesiness by constantly dropping the title of the show (note the title of the show in Japan is Pocket Monsters, which is never said in Mezase Pokemon Master), shouting the marketable catchphrase "Gotta Catch 'Em All!" repeatedly, and introducing some generic themes about saving the world and being courageous, making the show out to be a bit more action-y then it actually is. Otherwise the song does kind of hit upon a lot of the same notes as the original song such as the experience of the journey and making friends, so it's not too bad. Like the Japanese song it also could be taken as being sung from Ash's point of view, but the fact the singer isn't Veronica Taylor takes away from this effect quite a bit so the singer comes across as a person in our world singing about Pokemon rather than someone living in the Pokemon world singing about the world they live in.

Because it's shorter the dub Opening cuts out quite a bit of scenes from the original animation, notably a lot of the slower atmospheric scenes are cut away with scenes directly from the show added that have a faster feel. The original only had a single battle scene with Pidgeot and Fearow, which is cut from the dub, but the dub has quite a lot of battle scenes shown probably because they wanted to capture the attention of young boys easier since that was the main audience they were going for. Now Japanese Pokemon has the same audience I'm pretty sure, but it seems American marketers are a bit more picky when it comes to how slow a show can be since there's a weird underestimation when it comes to the attention span young boys are thought to have. The dub does keep all the scenes showing off the main cast though which is nice, so it still does a decent job at introducing you to the basic premise of the show through its visuals though you might be surprised that the show is a bit more lighthearted with all the action going on. I'm personally not a fan of how the dub Opening inserts in-show shots mixed with the original Opening animation, because the former sticks out due to usually looking a tad worse and not as detailed and it gives it a rather cheap quality. This will become especially noticeable once the Openings switch to digital animation while the show still uses the classic hand-drawn look during the Johto season.

FSLink

Banned
The Dub

The English version of the Pokemon anime did not keep Mezase Pokemon Master as its theme song, but this isn't really a surprise---I don't think any anime translated the Japanese opening back then, and few seem to do even nowadays, plus due to the differences in broadcast length between America and Japan the Opening left as is would've likely been too long, and indeed the dub's Opening is a bit shorter.

Yeah, not surprising though it was neat to see that they kept the instrumental version of it in Pokemon Pinball, which made it the first time I heard the song and instantly recognized it when I started watching the JPN dub.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xndA54jz4R0

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, not surprising though it was neat to see that they kept the instrumental version of it in Pokemon Pinball, which made it the first time I heard the song and instantly recognized it when I started watching the JPN dub.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xndA54jz4R0

I never got around to playing Pokemon Pinball as a kid so I never experienced that for myself---as far as I know that's the only time a song from the Japanese anime has made its way into the games, excluding Pokemon Channel of course which featured the anime within it. Puzzle League used quite a bit of dub music if I recall though, since it was made for the West exclusively.

Would've been kind of interesting if the localization took it upon themselves to create an 8-bit rendition of the dub theme but I guess that wasn't a priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom