• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A24 are partnering with Kojima Productions to produce the upcoming Death Stranding live-action feature film adaptation

The most pretentious videogame creator partners with the most pretentious Hollywood studio. I can imagine how fun these movies will be …

Over It Wow GIF by The Comeback HBO
Would you rather it be Sony Pictures? I'm sure they could use more theater fodder after Madame Webb releases.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Came for the negative comments about Kojima and A24 and sure enough, i leave satisfied...

Listen, opinions are opinions but i just can't trust nor take seriously people using the words "boring" and "pretentious" from the moment they enjoy going to the theater/cinema to watch Disney's latest CGI cartoon.
In the end, What's "boring" ? What is considered to be "pretentious" ? In this specific case, it translates to " i don't like something therefore it's shit" - the equivalent of a shitpost really.

A24 may have some duds (Midsommar etc) but Goddamn if it isn't one of the few companies that produces - at the very least - some fresh and interesting looking movies :
- The Witch
- The lighthouse
- The Northman
- Uncut Gems
- Mid 90's
- It comes at night
- Spring breakers
- Under the skin
- Locke
- The Rover
- tusk
- EX machina
- The Lobster
- Good time
- The killing of a sacred deer
- The green knight
...and the freshest horror movie of the past few years "talk to me"

To call A24 pretentious is literally a shit-take, in fact it's one of the very few companies that make...actual fookin' movies in today's shitty, diarrhea ridden sea of Marvel, DC, Star Wars and remake tripe.

Also, their track record is actually amazing since they have more good movies than bad ones.
If you're a film goer or just a normal person that actually enjoys movies (not talking about having something playing in the background on Netflix while you're doing something else) it'd be actually impossible not to find a single movie to enjoy from their catalogue and just call them "pretentious" and "boring" - it'd be like saying that since you didn't enjoy Scorsese's latest 2 movies The Irish man and killers of the flower moon due to their running time it means that Scorsese is boring, pretentious and/or even shit, i mean...

As for Kojima being a "hack" or "pretentious", well, the same pretty much applies here.
People bitch about yearly COD iterations, remakes, GaaS titles, "AAA" soulless copy-pasta MTX riddled games and yet, when an actual fresh idea like Death Stranding (both story and gameplay wise) releases , what do they do ? they keep bitching.
You just can't win in today's ADD world, everything has to be immediately gratifying, everything has to be "fast", everything has to be spoon-fed as to be immediately gratifying, meanwhile, if you don't do that, you're immediately labeled with the epithet "boring" or "pretentious".

It'd be actually funny if it wasn't for the fact that it's actually pathetic.

The bar has gotten so friggin' low that there's no capacity whatsoever for real and proper conversations.

Last edited:

naguanatak

Came for the negative comments about Kojima and A24 and sure enough, i leave satisfied...

Listen, opinions are opinions but i just can't trust nor take seriously people using the words "boring" and "pretentious" from the moment they enjoy going to the theater/cinema to watch Disney's latest CGI cartoon.
In the end, What's "boring" ? What is considered to be "pretentious" ? In this specific case, it translates to " i don't like something therefore it's shit" - the equivalent of a shitpost really.

A24 may have some duds (Midsommar etc) but Goddamn if it isn't one of the few companies that produces - at the very least - some fresh and interesting looking movies :
- The Witch
- The lighthouse
- The Northman
- Uncut Gems
- Mid 90's
- It comes at night
- Spring breakers
- Under the skin
- Locke
- The Rover
- tusk
- EX machina
- The Lobster
- Good time
- The killing of a sacred deer
- The green knight
...and the freshest horror movie of the past few years "talk to me"

To call A24 pretentious is literally a shit-take, in fact it's one of the very few companies that make...actual fookin' movies in today's shitty, diarrhea ridden sea of Marvel, DC, Star Wars and remake tripe.

Also, their track record is actually amazing since they have more good movies than bad ones.
If you're a film goer or just a normal person that actually enjoys movies (not talking about having something playing in the background on Netflix while you're doing something else) it'd be actually impossible not to find a single movie to enjoy from their catalogue and just call them "pretentious" and "boring" - it'd be like saying that since you didn't enjoy Scorsese's latest 2 movies The Irish man and killers of the flower moon due to their running time it means that Scorsese is boring, pretentious and/or even shit, i mean...

As for Kojima being a "hack" or "pretentious", well, the same pretty much applies here.
People bitch about yearly COD iterations, remakes, GaaS titles, "AAA" soulless copy-pasta MTX riddled games and yet, when an actual fresh idea like Death Stranding (both story and gameplay wise) releases , what do they do ? they keep bitching.
You just can't win in today's ADD world, everything has to be immediately gratifying, everything has to be "fast", everything has to be spoon-fed as to be immediately gratifying, meanwhile, if you don't do that, you're immediately labeled with the epithet "boring" or "pretentious".

It'd be actually funny if it wasn't for the fact that it's actually pathetic.

The bar has gotten so friggin' low that there's no capacity whatsoever for real and proper conversations.
Unfortunately, that is the world we live in. The mainstream will keep pushing mind numbing shit mostly. The reasons behind that are complex, some of them are obvious and some of them are guided, others just happen cause of human nature. Just be glad that there are still people who keep pushing in different directions. Let the people bitch and moan and scream... Of course they bitch about 'the usual stuff' and then they bitch about stuff that's outside of the box. A lot of people get triggered by little things yet they are not aware enough and don't observe themselves to find out why or what that is...to grow and evolve.
And of course these people would read my paragraph and say about me that I'm pretentious or arrogant or whatever... Again: fuck 'em. Enjoy Kojima, enjoy Murray, enjoy Ueda (and their respective teams of course) and all the others who keep giving us new emotions, new experiences, new ways or avenues to think and feel...

Last edited:

RaduN

That's actually a fitting colab.
It will probably be a joint release..? DS2 and the live action movie/series?

I've stated this before but there really needs to be an A24 for the video game industry. Someone who can help fund indie studios with bold and/or different ideas, to deliver near-AAA quality work on a consistent basis.

It would also solve the 'we want new AAA IP' complaints.

Top Bottom