• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: Halo Infinite is the big title launching with Xbox Series X

COD4 MW changed the landscape back in 2007 when it release about 5 weeks after H3. Your timing is way off, although H3 sold well, everyone basically went to COD in mass.

Not sure about the PC thing unless they plan on going to Steam.

I really don't care about playerbase. MLG Console halo was absolute king until Reach came out. H3 was ridiculously huge, cod was just starting and was a bit of a joke still to sweaters like me on console.

MiguelItUp

Haha, I feel like this is such a "water is wet" comment. I was never a big Halo fan, but I did enjoy 1-Reach for what they were. Here's to hoping Infinite can nail the feeling of those and better. If not, welp, then hopefully some folks out there enjoy it, lol.

Starfield

Can you say exactly why that is such a ridiculous claim? Even Halo 5 had very solid mechanics, weapon balance and overall map design (it's up for debate if the new added spartan abilities were a plus or not, sure). The higher time to kill, very specific weapon classes when it comes to utility and overall emphasis on dominating weapon spawns and rotations makes Halo very competitive and imo very relevant to be described as a top tier skill based shooter. When going against a good team in Halo you can be absolutely annihilated and embarassed as a team, it can look downright ugly. That's a good reference for a skill based shooter.

I wouldn't call it the best for sure. But it's up there in high level play, ESPECIALLY for a console shooter. On console it has no equal.
Yeah but the market doesn't consist solely of Console or in this case xbox. Theres a thing called PC too you know.

VertigoOA

Banned
Halo 5 on Xbox Live is as played as much as Fallout 76, ranked 43rd and 45th respectively. MCC is nowhere to be seen.

“best shooter ever!” as is trails behind 14 other competitive shooters on their own platform. Meanwhile Phil Spencer’s most played game is ... a Bungie game.

It’s dead Jim.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Halo 5 on Xbox Live is as played as much as Fallout 76, ranked 43rd and 45th respectively. MCC is nowhere to be seen.

“best shooter ever!” as is trails behind 14 other competitive shooters on their own platform. Meanwhile Phil Spencer’s most played game is ... a Bungie game.

It’s dead Jim.

Halo 5 was released almost more than 5 years ago. The fact that has as many players as games released some months ago is great.

VertigoOA

Banned
Halo 5 was released almost more than 5 years ago. The fact that has as many players as games released some months ago is great.

No. Not for a pvp game thats free on gamespass. There’s plenty of older games tracking ahead of it as well. And funnily enough, the 360 version Of Black Ops 2 trails right behind it at 44.

Halo 5’s community has been shit since shortly after it’s launch. It’s been forever lingering at the bottom.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

It’s dead Jim.
It still has its fanbase - and if its more niche - then thats fine. In Feb 2020, I find games in MCC and Halo 5 in mere seconds. The games are not dead by a longshot. That's utter nonsense.

You keep posting these charts like thats some gauge of a game's quality. I'll bet Fortnite is #1. Who cares? Fortnite is pure trash. COD, Battlefield 1/V, Overwatch - likely all ahead - who cares? Those games are casual junk. I said earlier, Halo in general is too difficult for the masses - and if you get dumped on online, you aint going to keep playing it. Its pretty clear you dont play these games...

On consoles, from a pure competitive FPS standpoint - no one in this thread has posted an alternative to Halo. Im still waiting...its because there is none. I could care less about what ranks on charts - I played them all and Halo is the still best on the market. If it had any competitor - I would be playing it.

It still has its fanbase - and if its more niche - then thats fine. In Feb 2020, I find games in MCC and Halo 5 in mere seconds. The games are not dead by a longshot. That's utter nonsense.

You keep posting these charts like thats some gauge of a game's quality. I'll bet Fortnite is #1. Who cares? Fortnite is pure trash. COD, Battlefield 1/V, Overwatch - likely all ahead - who cares? Those games are casual junk. I said earlier, Halo in general is too difficult for the masses - and if you get dumped on online, you aint going to keep playing it. Its pretty clear you dont play these games...

On consoles, from a pure competitive FPS standpoint - no one in this thread has posted an alternative to Halo. Im still waiting...its because there is none. I could care less about what ranks on charts - I played them all and Halo is the still best on the market. If it had any competitor - I would be playing it.

You are correct. Everyone that tried to mimic Halo failed, Halo is definitely niche but there are still thousands playing it and I have 0 issues finding games and that's fine by me. Let the naysayers say nay, so long as we love it, we good.

If Portal and Halo fucked, this would be the game they made. It's still not as good as Halo but it's fun.

SteamGif.gif

Last edited:
Lots of Halo haters round these parts.

Halo is still the best skill based FPS on the market. I played them all and nothing comes close. Sony and Nintendo, hell even PC, have no competition for it. The MCC in its updated state on XB1 is absolutely amazing and will be played and populated for years and years. The games are timeless. The PC should get the full version of MCC by the end of the year.

Its been a 6 year wait between Halo 5 and Infinity in 2020. Halo's new iteration has been long past due. H4+5 were good in spots and bad in others - im hopeful Infinite will bring it all together. We dont know much but splitscreen returning is a huge first step. As a Halo fan, im pretty damn exicited its launching with the new console.

With the MCC being rolled out on PC, the Showtime Halo show in production, and Infinite - 2020 is shaping up to be the biggest year in Halo history - even nearly 20 years since its debut.
giphy.gif

just tray

Halo will be fine now that 343 has its own game engine.

Bungies' engine was outdated. Forza 8 is still a launch game, launch games and launch windows are pretty much the same.

Microsoft didn't just buy studios, they invested heavily in to tech. They will match Sony on exclusives and even surpass them. I can say the same about Sony. Both companies made great machines and we are in for a treat....

But then there is shipping unfinished games and greed. And Microsoft isn't done buying studios.

To assume that investments won't pay off is just absurd.

The same as people can say Series X won't have any exclusives is like saying Sony won't have good multiplayer games next gen beyond Gran Turismo.

sendit

Color me excited. Will be playing on this day 1 (same day as console launch) on the PC, hopefully there is crossplay.

Last edited:

Genx3

The question is can Infinite's Campaign capture the magic of Halo CE's and can the multiplayer capture the magic of Halo 2 and Halo 3's multiplayer??

Hopefully it surpasses all expectations.

They also need to bring back true skill because last time I tried Halo 5 multiplayer I was constantly getting murked before I even knew what was going on. They shouldn't have high level players playing with scrubs like me.

Why not just call it Halo 6? I don't get this rebranding of core series. It's like Sony with God of War. It was the 4th entry but was it a reboot? Who knows, it still sold 10 million units.

It feels like this has been in development for a long time and then MS decided to make it a cross gen launch title.

MS should have made this a XSX exclusive, for maybe 6 months; but then again MS's strategy now is about bringing people into their ecosystem (which is excellent value) and not worrying so much about which system gets them in.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Iirc 343 has already states the banished wont be in HI, those hunters look different, their armor is sleaker and the shield looks like halo 4’s. Theyre like a redesign for Cortana’s loyalists just like how the grunts and elites went back to Sleaker versions of their reach designs.

Top Bottom