• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Active Time Babble XL: Looking Back on an Underrated RPG Console

From 1up.com

Direct Link

Whether or not you think the Nintendo Wii ended up being a disappointment, it made a lasting contribution to the gaming canon. Exhibit A: Its surprisingly excellent RPG library. Bob, Marty, and I sat down to break down the Wii's RPG contributions, and we found more than a few exclusive that can be counted among this generation's best.

In the second segment, we talk about the Wii U's potential. I'm on record with the belief that, if nothing else, the Wii U figures to have a pretty solid lineup of RPGs from the usual suspects in Japan. Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon are already in Nintendo's corner, and that's in addition to the fact that they own MonolithSoft (Xenoblade Chronicles). No doubt Square Enix and Namco Bandai will both be keeping a close on the Wii U over the next year.

The next episode will be the last of the year, and we'll use it to recount all of the best RPGs of 2012. Lots of good games! Please look forward to it.

0:00 | Theme & Introduction
2:00 | Remembering the Wii's RPGs
30:00 | Musical Interlude: Reach out to the Truth
30:30 | The Future of the Wii U

Still rockin' that Persona music!

Raife

Looking back I'm actually very surprised at the number of RPGs on the Wii. The last few years I've really only paid attention to the RPGs that came out on portable systems. I need to get to the The Last Story before the end of the year. That game has been sitting at the top of my pile of shame. And more ATB is always good. :)

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Hmm? I only know of Xenoblade but I actively avoided many Wii threads/articles

Still, I can't resist a new ATB

-The Last Story
-Xenoblade
-Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
-Opoona (Great!)

Those are 4 I got without even trying to think about it. Great RPG system!

pokemon?

Man, that battle revolution or w/e for wii was pretty awful. Really curious if the mythical pokemon rpg will happen this gen, lmao.

But with the gamepad having a mic.

hey you pikachu 2 HD.

Gattsu25

Banned
-The Last Story
-Xenoblade
-Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
-Opoona (Great!)

Those are 4 I got without even trying to think about it. Great RPG system!
I've never heard of the 1st and last game and have not played any of the above

Should be a pretty 'new' episode for me for that reason as there would only be a handful of games/series that I am familiar with.

batbeg

I've never heard of the 1st and last game and have not played any of the above

Should be a pretty 'new' episode for me for that reason as there would only be a handful of games/series that I am familiar with.
You never heard of the goochs final fantasy? (iOS surfing not counted)

I've noticed that Kat and Jose Ortero kind of have similar podcasting/interviewing styles. Sorta blunt and cold. You can tell they are very personable people, but at the same time, they aren't the most personable people out there.

Arla

1UP needs to add an RSS feed on the main page of the podcast. There is only the "subscribe via iTunes" button on the mainpage. I have to click on another podcasts page then subscrive to the rss by the sidebar. Obtuse.

Anyways, I forgot all about ATB after the hiatus. Glad to see it's back, not glad to see Parish on it. I'll listen to it on my way to school tomorrow. Not really a fan of RPG (especially JRPGs) but it's always fun to here Kat and her guests geek out about shit I have little to no idea about.

Stage On

I can't agree with Kat that the Wii by itself would be enough for Rpgs for last gen.

Sure Xenoblade alone put it from near abysmal levels to almost acceptable for me in terms of output but even then it's still more of a supplemental system for them compared to my 360 and the a lesser extent my ps3.

Still better then the N64 thought and about on par with the Gamecube but only barely considering how hard we had to fight to even get some games.

As for Wii U one of the reasons I'm holding out so far is the fact I have virtually no confidence that Nintendo will actually release their rpgs this time around since they where so darn reluctant last time.

The fact we almost missed out on such a gem like Xenoblade isn't exactly confidence inspiring. We shouldn't have to petition to get stuff of that level localized.

Neifirst

Love some ATB!

I couldn't get into The Last Story, but I think that had more to do with my desire to clear out my Wii backlog before the Wii U came out. I may have to restart it at some point next year.

I don't know if I agree you could get by on the Wii alone for JRPG's this generation. Maybe a different way to look at it is that you couldn't get by without a Wii if only for Xenoblade Chronicles.

It's too bad nobody seemed to have much, if any, experience with the Baten Kaitos series. I thought the card-playing battle system from the first one was extremely fun and fast-paced. You just had to turn off the voices!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Baroque is probably one of the most obscure Wii RPGs. It was also pretty decent as far as the VC library goes. Due to VC I think Wii may be the best of the 3 consoles out on the market for RPGs, but DS and PSP undoubtedly crush everything else.

Curufinwe

Terrible, uninformed Xenosaga opinions, but I enjoyed the show.

Also, anyone who can't take the first few hours of Persona 4 being slow should just take some ritalin and relax.

Do want. I'm not even aware of that many Wii RPGs. Fire Emblem:Radiant Dawn is the only one I've played.

Tales of Symphonia Sequel
Arc Rise Fantasia
Opoona
Fire Emblem Wii
Xenoblade
Dragon Quest X
Dragon Quest Swords
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower
Rune Factory Frontier
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
Spectrobes: Origins
Shiren the Wanderer
Muramasa: the Demon Blade
Dokapon Kingdom (Kind of)
Baroque
Takt of Magic
Valhalla Knights: Elder Saga
FFCC: Echoes of Time
Monster Hunter Tri
Monster Hunter G
Super Paper Mario
Earth Seeker
FF Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon

You could also include things like Crystal Bearers, Fragile, the HM Wii games and WiiWare titles, but I'm not sure they'd fit. Some of the above listings also may be a bit dubious as to how much of an RPG they really are.

I can't agree with Kat that the Wii by itself would be enough for Rpgs for last gen.

Sure Xenoblade alone put it from near abysmal levels to almost acceptable for me in terms of output but even then it's still more of a supplemental system for them compared to my 360 and the a lesser extent my ps3.

Still better then the N64 thought and about on par with the Gamecube but only barely considering how hard we had to fight to even get some games.

As for Wii U one of the reasons I'm holding out so far is the fact I have virtually no confidence that Nintendo will actually release their rpgs this time around since they where so darn reluctant last time.

The fact we almost missed out on such a gem like Xenoblade isn't exactly confidence inspiring. We shouldn't have to petition to get stuff of that level localized.
I'd say Virtual Console pushes Wii well ahead of Gamecube, but that's sort of cheating. :3

To be honest though, I don't think we've had a "one's enough" console for RPGs since PS2. Hell, even all 3 consoles combined this gen don't really match PS2.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Tales of Symphonia Sequel
Arc Rise Fantasia
Opoona
Dragon Quest Swords
Rune Factory Frontier
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
Spectrobes: Origins
Shiren the Wanderer
Muramasa: the Demon Blade
Dokapon Kingdom (Kind of)
Baroque
Takt of Magic
Valhalla Knights: Elder Saga
FFCC: Echoes of Time
Monster Hunter Tri
Monster Hunter G

Earth Seeker
FF Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon

You could also include things like Crystal Bearers, Fragile, and WiiWare titles

Lol at these ones. Bolded aren't even really RPGs. The rest are mostly trash.

Xilium

The Wii RPGs may be underrated (depends on your metric I guess) but I don't think they were particularly great as a whole. Most of the games are very niche, even to JRPG fans, and Xenoblade and Muramasa (not sure if this actually counts as an RPG) are the only ones I can think of that got any traction outside of those niche circles (and even so, you're still talking about a relatively small group).

I think the home consoles in general weren't too kind to JRPGs this gen but I personally got more enjoyment out of the PS3 JRPGs this gen.

LayLa

just listened, agree with Kat's central point that the Wii's JRPG lineup is underrated (i'd go further & say the Wii's overall lineup is hugely underrated)
would say that overall though the PS3's JPRG lineup was imo slightly better
Kat also dropping some minor "i know a developer who says .." bombs as well, that future Xbox stuff was interesting!

Lol at these ones. Bolded aren't even really RPGs. The rest are mostly trash.

Monster Hunter is not an RPG? What? MH is an action RPG. The only thing that's really different from games like PSO and Diablo, is that you don't gain XP and level up. Even then, you get points towards your Hunter Rank.

Ricker

I thought this podcast was gone...I use to like it so I will listen...oh and Arc Rise Fantasia is a good JRPG...

Tales' VA being the problem, not the excreble writing? Well, you did use Graces as your inspiration for that opinion. :p

I've noticed that Kat and Jose Ortero kind of have similar podcasting/interviewing styles. Sorta blunt and cold. You can tell they are very personable people, but at the same time, they aren't the most personable people out there.

Kate's a "lobber". She'll lob questions into the fray for the guests to create discussion over at the opportune time. It's what Shoe used to do for a while there when he hosted and it's great.

just listened, agree with Kat's central point that the Wii's JRPG lineup is underrated (i'd go further & say the Wii's overall lineup is hugely underrated)
would say that overall though the PS3's JPRG lineup was imo slightly better
Kat also dropping some minor "i know a developer who says .." bombs as well, that future Xbox stuff was interesting!

It's underated, but it's definately quirky as hell. It's a rare soul who would go crazy over more than 5 or so of them.

Xilium

Monster Hunter is not an RPG? What? MH is an action RPG. The only thing that's really different from games like PSO and Diablo, is that you don't gain XP and level up. Even then, you get points towards your Hunter Rank.

I haven't played any of the MH games but from that description they seem more akin to a God of War or Devil May Cry type game (No character leveling but still some form of progression/enhancement system, typically in relation to weapons). They've always come off as action/adventure games with some RPG flavoring to me.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Only a little way through this and this is completely off-topic, but I would like to mention that Fortune Street (at least on Wii) does have the option to quick save :p

Top Bottom