• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actual Nazi Richard Spencer protested at A&M speaking engagement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you haven't read the thread.

The university gets public funding.

They are required to set aside space for the public to speak.

Since they receive govt. funding the 1st amendment is at play

Guy is fucking disgusting and I hope he has an accident soon.

Ah, public school, public funds. Makes sense. Thank you.

Late Flag

There's not a chance in hell someone in the university didn't hear what was happening once he started his event. There is no reason this should have been allowed to carry out in it's entirety.

The university has known this event was going to take place for about a month. I work at a university, and this has been covered pretty widely in InsideHigherEd and The Chronicle of Higher Education.

The folks telling you that it was out of A&M's hands are absolutely correct. The president of the university led a counter-event elsewhere on campus, which was the right thing to do.

Mahonay

Banned
Some of you haven't read the thread.

The university gets public funding.

They are required to set aside space for the public to speak.

Since they receive govt. funding the 1st amendment is at play

Guy is fucking disgusting and I hope he has an accident soon.
There are plenty of measures that could have been taken to help interfere and make it difficult for him to hold this speaking engagement. Turn the lights off, whatever. Protecting the 1st amendment is not more important than protecting common human decency.

The university has known this event was going to take place for about a month. I work at a university, and this has been covered pretty widely in InsideHigherEd and The Chronicle of Higher Education.

The folks telling you that it was out of A&M's hands are absolutely correct. The president of the university led a counter-event elsewhere on campus, which was the right thing to do.
I'm glad to hear their was a counter event. Wish that got more light shined on it.

blackflag

There are plenty of measures that could have been taken to help interfere and make it difficult for him to hold this speaking engagement. Turn the lights off, whatever. Protecting the 1st amendment is not more important than protecting common human decency.

Well since they'd lose their funding it's probably important to them and I'd also say freedom of speech is even more important when the alt-right and Donald Trump are in charge otherwise they could haul us all away

I'm glad to hear their was a counter event. Wish that got more light shined on it.
"...Shall not be infringed." They'd get sued and lose badly.

Mudcrab

"Sorry, that date and all future dates are full up for an engagement of that size."

"Sorry, we reserve the right to refuse service to customers for any reasons."

"Sorry, we reserve the right to refund a fully paid deposit within X days of the actual event."

"Sorry, we believe that this event serves as a personal safety risk for students on our campus and falls outside of the scope of events we are permitted to host on the premises."

"No."

These are the kind of stonewalls that other groups have faced for decades trying to get a foothold in higher education. If they cared enough, they would stop it. They don't.

All of those will probably end in a lawsuit where this piece of shit gets a payday and eventually ends up speaking there anyway.

Hazmat

Something tells me that if it were a Black Panther speaker it would not have "slipped through" the same way that Richard Spencer did. Just saying.

Imagining a hypothetical situation and then getting upset about how it was hypothetically resolved is pointless.

I'm a liberal Texan and a UT grad, I have no love for A&M, but I really don't think they're the bad guy here.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
The law needs to be amended for these kind of instances.

You can't ban speech, you can find loopholes though.

You don't want additional laws to abridge speech, lest they be used as weapons later.

The first amendment protects speech, regardless of content, however unpopular may be. This example is the best our country has - shitty guy speaks, people protest.

What I think should be drawn into question is using police force to stop protest... that's a greater question.

Mahonay

Banned
Imagining a hypothetical situation and then getting upset about how it was hypothetically resolved is pointless.

I'm a liberal Texan and a UT grad, I have no love for A&M, but I really don't think they're the bad guy here.
Yeah I'm seeing that now as I learn more about it

Interfering blatantly in the event would, in court, be very similar to simply denying him. As much as I'm disgusted by his idealogy, I don't agree with throwing aside the first amendment, which is what trump has threatened to do.

Mahonay

Banned
Why do we keep giving press to ppl like this, he spoke in front of 400 ppl... that's a joke.
As I'm learning more about this, I'm right there with you. The amount of coverage this fuckwit is getting from the media is problematic.

The Lamp

Wtf why would T A&M allow him to speak?!?

http://today.tamu.edu/2016/11/23/no...rsial-speaker-university-officials-emphasize/
They commented on that, with the presidents official response here: http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/AM...t-Announces-Aggie-United-event-403649946.html

They neither invite nor support the man, but as a public university they are not legally allowed to block him from renting a room to speak just because of his views. He only got 400 people and I heard that only 12 of those supported him. The rest were hecklers. The student body as a whole was enraged about the man.

So A&M set up a counter event to protest this Nazi asshole
DNNdfW0h.jpg

and my friend who is in the sociology department at A&M set up their own event to counter the visit as well
bEvhC5Rh.jpg

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
"Whether it's nice to say that or not, we won," Spencer told the audience. "And we got to define what America means. We got to define what this continent means. America, at the end of the day, belongs to white men."

Economic anxiety makes people say the craziest things.

I see some of your countrymen are still jerking off to that Manifest Destiny dream eh?

RinsFury

I'm pretty sure there's no right to be heard. Guy can say what he wants but no public institution is forced to host him and his abhorrent ideas.

There needs to be laws about this kind of hate speech. It shouldn't be legal to promulgate these beliefs at a University, public or not.

http://today.tamu.edu/2016/11/23/no...rsial-speaker-university-officials-emphasize/
They commented on that, with the presidents official response here: http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/AM...t-Announces-Aggie-United-event-403649946.html

They neither invite nor support the man, but as a public university they are not legally allowed to block him from renting a room to speak just because of his views. He only got 400 people and I heard that only 12 of those supported him. The rest were hecklers. The student body as a whole was enraged about the man.

So A&M set up a counter event to protest this Nazi asshole
DNNdfW0h.jpg

and my friend who is in the sociology department at A&M set up their own event to counter the visit as well
bEvhC5Rh.jpg
Thanks for this man

Texas A&M may not be perfect but the immediate assumption we're pro Nazi or uncaring was an attitude that is undeserved.

Dryk

"Whether it's nice to say that or not, we won," Spencer told the audience. "And we got to define what America means. We got to define what this continent means. America, at the end of the day, belongs to white men."

Economic anxiety makes people say the craziest things.
Ironically it also makes them forget about Mexico

Raven117

Embarrased to be an aggie, but proud that so many studentsprotested. Disgusted to learn that he was invited by an alum though

per ny times

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2016/12/06/us/06reuters-texas-nationalist.html?_r=0

Oh come on my fellow Aggie! Actually, Im a little proud of the entire thing actually. Let's get one thing straight...what Spencer is and what he stands for is deplorable...no question...no shades of grey...nada....its terrible.

However, due to the rules of Texas A&M he was able to use that space to spill his vile ideas. That's freedom of speech. It sucks...we don't like it...but that's what it is.

I also could not be more proud of the student Aggies who protested (also the First Amendment) demonstrating this has no place anywhere.

All around pretty "Good Bull" (except the asshole who actually spoke).

Edit: and that Texas A&M fighting Nazi sign is pretty bad ass.

Anyone seen this interview? Fucking amazing. This is what a REAL interviewer does.

https://youtu.be/yr5BQS79H7g

"White supremacy means wanting to rule other people"
"So you don't want to rule other people?"
"I do not."

Do I listen to Richard Spencer or Richard Spencer?

EDIT:

"So you don't believe in racial equality?"
"No, I don't think anyone does."

Don't you fucking put those words in my mouth you rotten piece of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom