• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adapting to VR sickness

Ar¢tos

PSVR2 (and any future vr headset) should come bundled with a game made to get the user used and comfortable with VR.
First levels static position and slow hands/head movements that gradually increase and gradually introduce player movement, advancing to walking and even running.
Sony has the studios and research data to do it and it can really help making VR more mainstream.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
PSVR2 (and any future vr headset) should come bundled with a game made to get the user used and comfortable with VR.
First levels static position and slow hands/head movements that gradually increase and gradually introduce player movement, advancing to walking and even running.
Sony has the studios and research data to do it and it can really help making VR more mainstream.

On the rift there's a cool robot intro thing which I think is a really nice intro to VR - it blew me away tbh - perhaps incorporating some motion into that to ease people into it might be good.

Three

I have heard that people who get motion sickness playing VR slowly get used to it until it’s no longer an issue. I was lucky enough that VR didn’t cause any motion sickness for me but for the people that did experience it, has it lessened over time? I’m doing research for a video and think that based on other motion sickness adaptations (cars, boats, ect) the body should get used to VR within a few weeks to months. Has anyone’s experience confirmed/refuted this?
For anyone interested I have been looking into scientific studies conducted on ways developers might be able to reduce or even eliminate VR induced motion sickness and have found some promising stuff.
I felt slightly wierd when I first moved with the camera in Astrobot but quickly got used to it. Playing skyrim for long periods still gives me a bit of nausea though.

Grinchy

Banned
That's a really good idea. Hell, it should just be integrated into the setup of the unit. It puts you through all the setup instructions, boots up, tells you to put on your helmet, and suddenly a life-sized Kratos is smiling at you, calling you boy, and guiding you through some mini-games :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Looks like valve changed their mind about the "Never move the player" part. This is honestly super exciting for me because it shows that the future of VR is free movement.

Top Bottom