• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ADVENT RISING: More shameless PR that has nothing of Substance? Could be!

20 Questions’ with Donald Mustard, Director/Creator of Advent Rising
The Advent series was planned as a trilogy. What can you tell us about how the plot of the first game will intersect with the next games? From the very beginning, Advent was designed as a trilogy and has been structured to take advantage of that format. These days, when you have a successful game, or movie, there’s always a sequel. If the sequel does well, then there’s another…and then another…and so on. The problem with this is that, as the series continues, the story begins to make less and less sense and in the end the experience is lost as you wind up with something that is completely different from what was originally started. A great example of this is the Matrix trilogy. The original Matrix movie began as something very unique, epic and groundbreaking, but the movies that followed lacked consistency and ultimately ended up feeling misplaced.
Advent is different. Much like Peter Jackson’s approach to the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy, Advent has a very definite beginning, middle, and end. As you play through the games, little things that you heard, found, and saw in the first game will click in your head and your excitement level will rise even more as you realize they’ve carried over into the second or third game – and mean more than you originally thought. In the end, when you’ve completed the third game, the player will feel a huge sense of accomplishment and satisfaction because the story will come together and all make sense.
I’m just glad that I know how it all works out because I don’t think I could handle what I’m about to put all of you through for the next few years.

How long would you estimate each part will take to play through? We are shooting for 12 to 15 hours on the first game. We’ll just have to wait and see on the sequels. The games will be as long as they need to be to tell the story in the most exciting way possible. What we won’t have is levels just for the sake of having more levels.

Has the plot changed or evolved since it was first conceived?
The core plot of the trilogy has been in place since the very beginning and will remain the backbone of everything that we do. Since its been designed as a trilogy, I spend a lot of time making sure that we are not only consistent with the details of the first Advent game, but that the consistency carries on through the remaining games.

What is the extent of author Orson Scott Card’s involvement with the game? Do you have a "wish list" of other authors you'd like to work with? Since he first expressed interest in being involved with Advent, OSC was very vocal about remaining involved with the entire process. He offered not only to develop the back story for the game, but to work with us on creating the script/dialog and directing the voice over sessions. While the bulk of his work on the game has been completed (and might I add is freaking awesome), he and I still have quite a bit of back and forth over little details as we make adjustments and refinements to the pacing and editing of the story. He’s an amazing resource to have.
He was absolutely the most perfect author to work on the Advent project. The game as it stands already goes far beyond any other in the realm of storytelling, character development, and evoking the emotions of the player and the contributions he’s made will continue to shape the entire trilogy.
I’m sure Card would love to remain involved, but while he truly enjoys working with games, he does have a few novels to write. I know he’ll also soon be very involved with the Ender’s Game movie, which is going into production soon.
It doesn’t end with the Advent trilogy. I’ve got several other game/movie franchises kicking around in my head and a list of favorite authors I’ve got in mind for all of them. Once the Advent trilogy is finished there is definitely a discussion I want to have with Tom Clancy…

Can you tell us the basic backdrop of the Advent story?
At the dawn of interstellar reasoning, as the first intelligent races took to the stars and began to interact with each other, they discovered a common thread – the legend of an ancient race that would one day “deliver” the universe. This race was known as the Humans.
The Seekers alone held the key to the secret of the humans. Humanity did in fact exist, and the Seekers were doing all that they could to eradicate them. Under the guise of “benevolent explores” they spread methodically through out the galaxy destroying all human life they came in contact with.
Consequently, the Seekers did in fact discover many new races and helped introduce them into the galactic arena. This served the Seekers two fold. It allowed them to constantly spread their influence and strengthen their military and civic control of the galaxy, and it allowed them to retain and magnify their image of philanthropic nobility.
The Aurelian culture was rich with tales of humanity. When they were discovered by the Seekers many of their legends rekindled long dormant ideals within the galactic senate.
With the added insight, knowledge, and technology that interstellar society offered the Aurelian’s, it was not long before the Seekers duplicity was discovered. Enraged, the government formed a small covert faction within the Aurelian military to gather as much information about Seeker operations as possible. It was because of this group that Edumea, a small world inhabited by humans, was first discovered and a rescue organized.
With the introduction into the galactic senate close at hand, and the promise of power and wealth looming overhead, many governing Aurelian officials began to doubt the plan to help the humans. They argued that if discovered they would be completely destroyed by the Seekers. It was their opinion that in order to save themselves and insure their place in the senate, their policy on humanity should be to simply look the other way.
With growing dissention within the government it was feared that the Seekers would discover the Aurelian’s plans, and consequently discover the planet of Edumea. Knowing this, the Aurelian head sent a small diplomatic force to Edumea. The humans were to be warned of their plight and aided in any way possible.
As initial steps are being taken toward healing the scars that warfare has left on the battered Edumean civilization, the Aurelians arrive. A diplomatic entourage is quickly formed by the newly established coalition government—a dozen representatives of humanity to make this pivotal first contact with an alien race. Ethan Wyeth, a world-renowned fighter pilot and war hero is the obvious choice to pilot this vital assembly to first contact. Using his fame and influence, he has his younger brother, Gideon (the player), assigned as co-pilot for the mission. From earliest childhood, Ethan has often relied on his brother’s level-headedness and clear thinking to support him in unpredictable situations, and this will be no exception.

Advent Rising takes cinematic game play experiences to a whole new level. Is the entire story played out in-game, or will there be a mixture of in-game and cut scenes? While Advent’s story is paramount, it should never have you putting down the controller. In Advent you will live through the story. We are taking what would normally be cut-scenes and making them playable wherever possible. I want you to be playing through the sequences of a summer blockbuster. That’s not to say that there won’t be lots of cut scenes, but they will be punctuations to the action and the pacing, not crutches for bad story telling.
For example, racing down a canyon on a speeder bike you are being chased by a Seeker dropship and several other speeders. As shots from the dropship wiz past you must fight off the speeders by shooting them, ramming them into the narrow canyon walls, or if you’re good enough, by jumping from your bike to theirs and throwing them from it. After a few moments the dropship will close in on you and open its forward doors so that the Seekers inside can get a better shot at you. We cut to a five second cinematic of Gideon seeing this and slamming his brakes, which causes him to collide with the closely pursuing dropship. He quickly swings off of his bike and into the dropship as control is returned to the player who must now face off with the Seekers who weren’t knocked out of the dropship by the collision. After killing the seekers you have a choice, either kill the pilot and take control of the dropship or steal one the speeders from the upper bay of the ship. (I prefer dropping a grenade into the closing bay doors as I lift of on a speeder and watching the dropship explode beneath me).

Advent Rising is now scheduled to ship in 2005, so the game has quite a bit of development. What are some of the exciting game play elements that have been implemented? As the first installment of the trilogy, Majesco made a wise decision to extend the game’s development time, allowing us to deliver our vision and build a solid foundation for the franchise.
We’re far enough along now where it’s awesome to be able to report that all of that really cool stuff we spoke about is now actually in the game. I still can’t even believe we pulled it off.
There is just something awesome about laying down a combo that on the last hit sends a sixteen foot tall alien flying back fifty feet and as its flying back whipping out your trusty blasters and letting loose so that by the time its body crashes into the ground you know it won’t be getting back up. Or, walking into a glass hallway that is suspended five hundred feet over the ocean becomes really fun when you use your powers to send a shock wave ripping down the hall, shattering everything and sending several unsuspecting Seekers flailing to their deaths.
Seeing Seekers flood around a corner is breathtaking as they leap and pounce off of the walls and environment around them. Being in fire fights and watching all of the cool particles from the different surface effects (dirt, grass, metal, rocks, etc) explode, twang, swirl, and rip around you just rocks. Watching a friendly squad leader call for cover fire during an intense fight, and then seeing your other team mates provide it while others flank the enemy just makes me giddy.
And there is nothing quite as satisfying as using your powers to rip a boulder out of the ground and squash some guy with it (unless maybe its yanking a hover tank out of the air and squishing five guys with it)…

Will gamers be able to play the game from either first- or third-person perspective as planned, or did you have to settle on strictly third-person?
I’m a huge believer in giving players options to play the game the way they want to play it. I mean, it’s their fifty bucks. So, the player can play in either the first- or third-person perspective and it’s awesome either way.
Most third-person games provide the player with a first-person “view” mode but don’t allow the player to do anything but look around. This has always frustrated me as a gamer. I walk up to a ledge or something that I want to look over, pop into first-person and then find that I didn’t move close enough to the ledge to look over it properly. So I pop back out, inch forward, and pop back in. Not cool. Our first-person mode feels very much like Halo – run, jump, crouch, shoot, limited melee. For the bigger, more acrobatic moves like dodging, wall running, and combo attacks we require you to be in third-person. Both modes have their advantages. I really love how quick, seamless and intuitive it feels switching between the two modes.
Another cool thing about our system is that when you are in first person it is truly a view from the eyes of Gideon. When you look down, you see Gideon’s entire body. It’s a small touch, but it adds so much…

Players start the game with massive weaponry and develop superpowers as they progress through. What are some of those superpowers and how do they work?
Early on in the game Gideon discovers that to be human means much more than he, or anyone else, ever dreamed. Gideon finds that as he learns to unlock the recesses of his mind he begins to develop strange god-like powers. In the first game, these powers become the backbone of Gideon’s arsenal and include the ability to slow down time, the power to unleash shock waves that will send enemies flying and glass shattering, and the ability to generate protective energy barriers (think Out of this World, only 3-D).
The list goes on. Gideon will receive levitation powers that will allow him to pick up enemies, vehicles, and objects in the world to hurl them around with his brain. This will also give Gideon the ability to suck weapons out of the hands of his enemies. There is nothing cooler than sucking the weapon out of an aliens hands and then blowing it away with its own gun. He will be able to mess with peoples minds, to confuse them, make them hear sounds, to fall asleep, or to attack their comrades. He will be able to dash at blinding speeds, essentially becoming a blur of light as he plows through enemies or zips around them for better positioning. And with the power you saw in the screen shot Gideon will be able to gather the kinetic energy of the world around him and then let loose devastating attacks much like Havok from the X-Men. And there are even more…

Can you talk us through Advent’s skilling-up process? How is it unique? One key feature of Advent is the evolutionary game-play model. The abilities and characteristics of the player evolve as the player progresses through the game, ever widening the scope of solutions to any given problem. Abilities evolve naturally, based on the manner in which the game is played.
For example, the more a player shoots a certain gun, the more accurate that gun will become; the more the player jumps, the higher and farther those jumps will become. There are dozens of these evolving attributes; so, for example, when Jimmy and John finish the game, Jimmy’s character will be dramatically different from John’s character. However, the player’s critical abilities can never fall below the default progression level, so the player can never get stuck because they did not develop a particular skill. Some non-critical powers and skills can be underdeveloped, and some even undiscovered. Any power, though, can be developed well beyond the norm, satisfying players who like to spend time developing characters. However, the maximum level a skill can be developed is balanced throughout the game so that level designers can maintain enough control to make the game fun.
In sequels to the game, the player will have the option to start with a default character or to load in their previous character. This adds a certain depth to the game that will appeal to more hard core gamers while maintaining a simplicity that will not turn away average gamers.

Are real-world physics utilized in the game and could you give us an example of how physics might affect game play? Physics play a large role in Advent. Probably our biggest use of physics is in the vehicles from the driving physics to the flying physics. The Karma physics engine has been awesome in allowing us to create really fun, really tight vehicles that interact realistically with the world around them.
We also use physics pretty extensively in our environments. What fun would it be for us to give you all sorts of neat powers and then not let you use the world as a weapon? You will do everything from ripping boulders out of the ground to hurl at your enemies to punching enemies through fully destructible columns. Need cover? Make some. Are Sentries patrolling along a precarious gantry way? Rip it out from under them. See a group of enemies standing next to a vehicle? Pick it up and drop it on their heads.

Can you tell us about the multiplayer plans for the trilogy? All I can say for now is, when we do release the details of our future multiplayer plans for the trilogy, I promise that they will make you very, very happy. Beyond that I’m not at liberty to say anything else…

You promised that Advent Rising was going to combine a ton of explosive, acrobatic moves alongside weapon combat into a pretty intuitive, AI-driven "zone of awareness" system…how is this coming along? It’s all coming together and doing it really, really well. Most of the many game mechanics are in and working well together. It’s definitely been a challenge to refine an intuitive and easy control scheme that incorporates a fully dynamic, two handed aiming and targeting system for weapons and powers but still allows for a hand to hand combat system with combos and finishing moves. Not to mention all of the acrobatics, alternate fires for every weapon and power, or the fact that we needed you to be able to do all of this at once, on the fly, while targeting multiple enemies. We knew it was crazy, but we knew we could make it work if we pushed hard enough. We have been pushing very hard… and all I know is that I am having the time of my life as I punch, kick, flip, shoot, and power my way through the game.

In order to provide players with the ability to utilize all the unique features in Advent, it was necessary for you to create an entirely new control scheme for the Xbox. Explain the controls and why they work so well for Advent.
Advent Rising gives players such a wide array of control that a “non-Halo” control scheme is necessary. So many games are using Halo-style controls, but Advent does so many other things we couldn’t use it. Some of the abilities you will have complete control over are:
• Dynamic dodging
• Crouching

• Jumping
• Melee attacks
• Dual left/right hand weapons/powers control
• Alternate fire
• Dual targeting
• Analog walking/running/driving
• Integrated weapon/power selection (i.e. real-time inventory)
• Switch play perspectives
• Action button
Now, that’s a ton of player control. Simply put, 1 st person, Halo-style controls will not work for us. It works great for Halo and other FPS titles, just not for what we’re going for. Of course, for PC we’ll map out a mouse/keyboard setup.

You’ve released some shots of one truly enormous vehicle in Advent Rising. Will players be able to pilot that monster? Also, tell us about some of the other cool vehicles. Ah, the War Hammer. The coolest vehicle ever! Of course you get to drive it. Of course it holds two drivable Scythes (hummer like vehicles) in the back. Of course it has two huge unfolding cannons that you can man. Of course it has a full interior complete with rows of fully stocked gun racks. Of course it is the showpiece in what we hope will be the single greatest chase sequence of all time.
It doesn’t stop there. We’ve got an awesome tank that transforms into a huge missile turret, super fast speeder bikes, drop ships that carry troops and other vehicles, devastating hover tanks, and a slew of other vehicles, all of which are fully playable.

What do you feel is the single most important aspect of character design? The silhouette. When designing any character you should be able to squint your eyes so that all you can see is the silhouette and have your character still read as the coolest thing ever. I say this because in video games you spend the majority of the time looking at characters that are farther than five feet away from you. Once any character is distanced from the camera all you can really rely on to communicate character is shape and gesture. To me this is the most fundamental (and the most overlooked) aspect of design.

What are you most proud of regarding the characters from Advent Rising? I think that what we are most proud of is the overall personalities that have been created for these characters. I think that the total package from the way they look, to the way they move, to the way they talk and act add up to very unique and dynamic characters that people are going to truly be able to emotionally connect with. This gives us the power to really start to make the player feel things, because they’re attached to the characters they are controlling and watching and they actually care what happens to them.

Advent has received a ton of press and emerged from E3 as one of the most talked about games of the show. Are you surprised with the level of coverage and interest the property? I think yes and no. I mean its one thing to sit around and write, draw, and design what you and your kid brother think is the coolest thing ever – it’s quite another thing to have so many other people agree. Between the media, other developers, and those that know games best, the amount of support and positive feedback we’ve received so far on the game has been amazing.
That said, obtaining this level of interest in our game this early on would have been impossible had it not been for the support of Majesco and the efforts of their PR agency. They’ve caught the vision of Advent and have done everything in their power to help make this franchise into the blockbuster it’s meant to be.
I believe that great PR that begins early on and continues to build is crucial to a game’s success. High Water Group’s strong relationships with the media and their enthusiasm for the game have been the driving factor behind all of the coverage opportunities Advent has been given. They’ve put me in front of the key media who are very influential in shaping the opinions and views of the core gaming media in general.

Its been compared to Halo and some even consider it one of the hottest games of the year. Do you worry about living up to people's expectations of this game? Or, are you confident that the final product will be as innovative and fun as you hoped it would be?
Advent is a very ambitious project. Nobody is more aware of that than my team and me. That said, everyday I am amazed at what we’ve accomplished and how everything has pretty much come together exactly as planned. So far, we’ve met every expectation we have set for the game and more importantly done so within the time frame we had set for ourselves. We are very aware of what the other big games are currently delivering and we are confident that our game can match that and deliver just as well in terms of graphics, innovation, game play and control. We’re hoping not to meet expectations, but to deliver far beyond them. I am simply trying to meet my own personal expectations for Advent, and since nobody’s expectations can even come remotely close to mine, I’m pretty confident we can pull it off.

914754_20040512_screen007.jpg

914754_20040317_screen005.jpg

914753_20031016_screen002.jpg

914753_20031016_screen001.jpg

914753_20031016_screen014.jpg

[IMGhttp://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/914754_20040317_screen015.jpg[/IMG]
914754_20040512_screen009.jpg

914753_20031016_screen004.jpg

credit therealskywolf on IGN XGB

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Thanks for the interview! The game certainly sounds very promising but I've heard lukewarm reactions from people who've tested it. The combination of third person and first person style gameplay is pretty intriguing. Hopefully they manage to really flesh it out and provide a seamless transition.

While Advent’s story is paramount, it should never have you putting down the controller. In Advent you will live through the story. We are taking what would normally be cut-scenes and making them playable wherever possible. I want you to be playing through the sequences of a summer blockbuster. That’s not to say that there won’t be lots of cut scenes, but they will be punctuations to the action and the pacing, not crutches for bad story telling.
GOOD! With all I hear about how amazing the storyline was going to be, the rich characters, and constant comparisons to novels and film, I was worried that it was going to turn into a cutscene nightmare. Nice to see confirmation that the developers still realize this is a game not a movie.

The video footage that surfaced earlier this year was pretty cool to watch, insofar as the visuals looked great and the player character moved smoothly, but it also seemed incredibly repetitive. Hopefully the team gets a better handle on the level design theory they need for the game to be any sort of success.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
What are you talking about?!!

Everyone knows 2005 GOTY is Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat !!

He's a pyscho (sorta)...but so are/were some of the better writers (and poets, and other artisans). Not saying he's one of the greatest writers ever, nor do I agree with his personal beliefs, statements, and actions...but EG was a great story.

The person and the work are two different things. Still, I can fully understand why people may feel the way they do about him and other psychoes (sp?)...and choose to stay away from their works. Unless I find out that the proceeds from AR go to the CoLDS or the story is particularly offensive to me, I'll buy it regardless of association...that is, if it's actually going to be good.

ferricide

i have scarcely despised a book as much as his utterly, utterly execrable enchantment. no matter what nice things people might say about this game, i am staying the hell away from it.

Meier

The game was pretty bad at E3 IMO. Maybe not bad, but just incredibly generic/average. Graphically, it might have been the best PC title I saw and it took my breath away a few times, but the XB version looked like shit compared to it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Dead to Rights, is that you?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Shameless PR said:
Advent has received a ton of press and emerged from E3 as one of the most talked about games of the show. Are you surprised with the level of coverage and interest the property?

Say what?

Shameless PR said:
Its been compared to Halo and some even consider it one of the hottest games of the year.

Say WHAT?

Shameless PR said:
Advent Rising takes cinematic game play experiences to a whole new level.

Said about every game desperate for hype.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Some of the abilities you will have complete control over are:
• Dynamic dodging
• Crouching
• Jumping
• Melee attacks
• Dual left/right hand weapons/powers control
• Alternate fire
• Dual targeting
• Analog walking/running/driving
• Integrated weapon/power selection (i.e. real-time inventory)
• Switch play perspectives
• Action button
Sounds familiar...can't quite place it...Vice City, anyone?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
GOTY contender? Because of list of gameplay features? If there's one thing I've learned over the years about videogame hype, it's that gameplay features have almost zero to do with how good a game is; it's the implementation of those features that makes or breaks a game. And I've never even heard of this developer before.

The initial screenshots looked spiffy, at least.

FoneBone

ferricide said:
i have scarcely despised a book as much as his utterly, utterly execrable enchantment. no matter what nice things people might say about this game, i am staying the hell away from it.
What was so bad about it? I remember liking it, but then, I read it years ago.

I continue to like Card's books, even though he's a nutcase. Then again, I haven't paid for any of them... thank God for public libraries.

At E3 They had the PC version set up with an Xbox controller and I thought it was awesome. Xbox version was noticeably downgraded but it might be hard to tell if the two aren't side by side.

ferricide

FoneBone said:
What was so bad about it? I remember liking it, but then, I read it years ago.
i despised not only the way the characters acted towards each other and the characters themselves, but the whole stinking worldview and values of the author, which utterly permeates the tale. i remember that my friend who was reading the book along with me (it was a reading circle we were in) started calling the main character "asshole." i actually can't remember his name, and that's how i think of him.

ugh, ugh, ugh. seriously, that's the book i've least liked in the last ten years.

Tommy Tallarico gives this game a thumbs up!!

20.gif

(He is working on the sound design/music for this game IIRC....)

I was orginally very interested in this game, but everytime they show it off it looks like it has taken a step back generation wise. Also... it just seems like they are trying to do so much and borrow so much from every other game that I wonder if it won't collapse under its own weight.

I hope it's good.. but definately not holding my breath.

WarPig

My dad met Orson Scott Card when they were both at BYU in the '60s. He says Card was a jerk, but doesn't elaborate.

Advent Rising may or may not be a good game. It's pretty much 50-50 at this point. The only times it's been shown to the press, the guys from GlyphX freely admitted that the push to show it to the press was coming entirely from the publisher, and that it was in no shape to be shown to the press (least of all in playable form) at the time.

DFS.

Top Bottom