• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After nearly seven years, Cassini-Huygens succesfully enters the orbit of Saturn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ourumov

I am sure there is very primitive life somewhere in the Solar System...I doubt it's Titan since the low temperatures on the surface seem to say the opposite...but perhaps other satelites...

Stele

Holds a little red book
ManDudeChild said:
... and the core's made of Hydrogen at that.
Just noting that it's solidifed/metallic hydrogen. Such conditions do not exist on our planet to naturally produce such a thing.

OmniGamer

pollo said:
5$ says we wont find life on Europa

who wants to do a GA betting pool?

I don't think we will either...that's my mindset so as not to set myself up for disappointment. But years ago we would have never expected life in the sunless realm deep in the ocean near those superheated vents.

ourumov

It's amazing what we have been reaching lately (I speak in terms of mankind not countries)...IMO the most remarkable thing lately has been Burt Rutan's achievement with Space Ship one.

Stele

Holds a little red book
It's amazing how such a small percentage of the population can achieve so much. The rest of us are just guests along for the ride.

ourumov

Probably when we are 90 years old there will be organizated travels to space...Hotels in the moon and Perhaps in Mars too...
The space will be polluted and exploded just as the earth has been. :(

aoi tsuki

PIA02275_modest.jpg

While i agree that Jupiter may be more interesting on a scientific level, i've always had a thing for Saturn and it's rings. It's just amazes me how the rings, composed of space "debris" orbit the planet so uniformly. In this shot you can see some of the larger objects that form the rings. i don't know the size, but they're MUCH larger than they appear (~quarter mile in width).

i can't wait until we actually land and get shots of the surface. It's a pity CH won't be able to be retrieved, but on the other hand it's cool to think that, maybe a couple hundred years from now astronauts will be retrieving something from our era.

Edit: Forgot to add that other planets (Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto IIRC) have rings as well, just not as prominent as Saturn.

Stele

Holds a little red book
ourumov said:
The space will be polluted and exploded just as the earth has been. :(
The space will be exploded... Pollution in space isn't necessary since the garbage can just be ejected along a trajectory toward the Sun that isn't going to effected by planetary orbits.

olimario

Banned
I don't even know if we'll have sent a man to Mars in 70 years, much less colonized the moon. I suspect commercial space flight will be in full swing, though.

aoi tsuki

Stele said:
The space will be exploded... Pollution in space isn't necessary since the garbage can just be ejected along a trajectory toward the Sun that isn't going to effected by planetary orbits.
Dammit, you just killed the validity of Planet ES. :(

aoi tsuki said:
While i agree that Jupiter may be more interesting on a scientific level, i've always had a thing for Saturn and it's rings. It's just amazes me how the rings, composed of space "debris" orbit the planet so uniformly. In this shot you can see some of the larger objects that form the rings. i don't know the size, but they're MUCH larger than they appear (~quarter mile in width).

Amazing stuff. I'm thinking we'll find that the rings are composed of dust and debris that has been sorted out by gravity over millions of years to become what they are now.

This image was taken from NASA TV, and shows a portion of the rings of Saturn captured by Cassini. The dark space at left is believed to be the Encke Gap.
capt.sge.jrz30.010704171946.photo00.default-320x319.jpg

This image was taken by Cassini's narrow angle camera and shows the dark, or unlit, side of the rings. The debris making up these rings must be incredibly small!
61694main_soi6-516.jpg

Tritroid

aoi tsuki said:
PIA02275_modest.jpg

The black traces on top of the rings are the ghost-like dust clouds aren't they? I remember studying them in AST a few semesters back; Apparently they never take the same shape or position twice and are constantly varried.

About Europa: Even if there is no actual life found existing on Europa right now, if there is any trace that life previously DID exist there, no matter how small or insignificant, it would still be a remarkable find.

aoi tsuki

gofreak said:
Woah, that photo is incredible. Where did you find it? I can't find it on the NASA site.

Hmm...colour will be so good...
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/latest/index.cfm

Beware some of the other pages on that site that have artist's renderings. Also beware of the raw image search. You can search all 500 images (most aren't too interesting visually) or select criteria.

Kudos to NASA for doing a great job in recent years using the web to keep people abreast of these events.

We're now getting pics of the sunlit side of the rings!

The tiny dot in the lower right of the rings is one of Saturn's moons, Prometheus:
ajr.sized.jpg

This is a pic of the Encke Gap. It's the second largest gap in Saturn's rings (about 200 miles wide)*, and is caused by one of the moons orbiting Saturn:
ajj.jpg

I *think* this is the Keeler Gap (about 19 miles wide). They believe that the gap is caused by a (as yet undiscovered) moon, and hope that Cassini will find it:
SOI8.jpg

And finally, they don't know what this is yet. The first mystery of the Cassini-Huygens Mission! It's the inner edge of the F ring, and do not know what might have caused this formation:
ajq.jpg

*corrected

MaddenNFL64

Jupiter has rings too (faint, but they're there). Seems rings are the norm & not the exception. Of course, Saturn has the most vivid, visible & spectacular rings.

Saturn is everybodies favorite planet (next to ours) it seems :). Those gas giants are just something man.

OmniGamer

Growing up, Neptune was my favorite planet(cuz it was blue and blue is my favorite color)...and i have a thing for Uranus too(since it's the oddball planet). Saturn is too "obvious" to be my fave, though i'm definitely interested in this mission.

Oh, btw, for those that have The Science Channel, there will be a marathon of "The Planets" sometime this weekend.

RiZ III

WOw I didnt realize that theyre planning to land that thing on Titan! That crazy. I really hope it works.

Those pics are amazing.

MaddenNFL64

adelgary said:
I seriously doubt the landing will be successful, they fucked up on Mars, and this sounds much more complicated.

They didn't fuck up on mars. Both rovers worked & did thier job for months. The Spirit rover had a little glitch for a bit, but they fixed that early on.

RiZ III

Getting a robot 900 miles from home and sending back what its seeing is no small feat gary. If anyone can land that thing, its these guys.

BuddyC

MaddenNFL64 said:
They didn't fuck up on mars. Both rovers worked & did thier job for months. The Spirit rover had a little glitch for a bit, but they fixed that early on.

Mars Global Surveyor?

There was the other proble, but I can't remember it's name. Before NASA upped their track record with those two rovers, things weren't looking so hot.

One they don't know what happened to, they just lost contact. The other, one team used the metric while another team used the decimal system.

That said, I do have large degree of faith in NASA, and am quite excited to see the many pretty pictures.

MaddenNFL64 said:

Read BuddyChrist's post.

Kuramu

cool, the spokes

spoke_anim.gif

It was expected that collisions between ring particles would tend to make the rings uniform, but Voyager I found changing structures in the radial direction that are termed "spokes". Some of this structure is shown in the adjacent animation. Here is a smoother and longer movie of the same phenomenon. It is thought that gravitational forces alone cannot account for the spoke structure, and it has been proposed that electrostatic repulsion between ring particles may play a role.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Incredible, I feared it would fail to attain orbit.

My excitement over the project just spiked.

Holy shit!

Kuramu said:
shouldn't that be more in the area of 200 milles? i've been searching for sites with this stuff to get a better idea of the scale.

Encke Gap
133,410 km - 133,740 km

http://www.astrobio.net/news/module...=article&sid=1052&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

The large gap in Saturn's A ring (upper right image), known as the Encke Gap, is the 2nd largest gap in Saturn's ring system. The gap is produced by Pan, a 20-kilometer-wide (12-mile-wide) moonlet that orbits within the gap. As Pan orbits around Saturn, it perturbs the inner edge of the Encke Gap, causing the scalloped-edge effect visible in the center of the image. Pan is a bit of a mystery to scientists because Saturn's gravitational pull, in theory, should prevent a moon from forming so close to Saturn. One possible explanation is that Pan formed farther out from Saturn and later migrated inward.

Cool find on the rings gif, Kuramu! I like! ;)

Kuramu

The gap is produced by Pan, a 20-kilometer-wide (12-mile-wide) moonlet that orbits within the gap

it's the moon that is 12 miles wide, not the gap. I've been finding some interesting stuff, but what i can't find is an image that points out which rings and gaps correspond to the A B C names. a nice graphic is in order. anyone who finds such a thing gets a cookie :)

Kuramu

hey heavy liquid, that image is pretty much what i was looking for. so the cassini division is actually what i thought the enkce gap was. wow, makes things even bigger than i thought

Cool, very cool. I think the some of the images don't look real because the shadow is so out of place, it makes the planet look like its been placed wrong

This new view from the Cassini spacecraft captures the true colors of the rings, according to astronomers at the Space Science Institute, which manages the probe's camera.

Cassini was beneath the rings on June 21, about 4 million miles (6.4 million kilometers) from Saturn when it took this picture. It was released yesterday.
040723_iod_rings_04.jpg

I've been wondering when we're going to start seeing some more spectacular color images. I realize it's a four-year mission and they are probably dong things like calibrating their equipment, but I'm really surprised that there's just been a trickle of black-and-white images since they entered orbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom