• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AI driven fluid simulation in games

Bogey

Banned
Hey,

so - this is more of an "I found an interesting youtube video and thought it's worth a discussion"-kind os thread.

Basically, the guy trains a neural network to emulate liquid simulation, and the result is very close to fully fledged physical simulations.
He points out a few drawbacks, such as dealing with entirely unknown/complex scenarios, or - towards the end - slightly deformed shapes of solids in his simulation. Bit hard to judge how serious the latter issue in particular is, but other then that, his approach looks really, really cool to me.

I'm curious whether this could be applied to games in the future.
Obviously, the main hurdle why we don't get to see cool fluid simulation in games right now is the computational complexity of proper physics simulations. A trained neural network, on the other hand, would be very fast, and should be plenty fast enough for use in real time rendering.

What do you guys think, are we finally getting closer to proper liquids in games? Has anyone ever heard of this being tried/applied in the videogames industry yet?

Top Bottom