• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akiba's Trip: Hellbound & Debirefed - Gameplay on PS5 (Preview)

rubhen925

So the publisher gave me a chance to check out the game early. I'm allowed to show gameplay till chapter 2. Playing this on the PS5. Some info:

- installation size is a whopping.... 2.6GB... lol
- launches July 20th
- lines and dialogue are fully voiced in English, except for some speech bubbles by npcs passing by on the streets. You can switch between Japanese as well.
- The gameplay is similar to Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed. Most of the areas are from that game anyways. Some new ones I won't spoil
- Gameplay is similar to Undead & Undressed. Played a couple hours, and haven't come across anything new mechanically.
- One thing I did notice is the visuals. They look a little underwhelming compared to Undead & Undressed. That was a vita game, and later ported to the PS4. I just feel the models and background look less detailed and washed out. Some textures are even missing. I could be wrong as I haven't played Akiba's Trip: U&U in 4 years. Some confirm please.
- The game pretty much loads everytime you're switching map points. So expect those. Atleast 2-5 seconds. You'll be doing this a lot to cover mission objectives. So it gets real annoying a couple hours in. Wish they optimized this for the PS5.
- Didn't bother with setting the display to 4K. It looked blurry upscaled, so stuck with the standard 1080p.
- I've seen some people already playing the game and played through it in English a month ago. I'm guessing different PSN regions already released. Most likely HK region which usually releases games with english va & Subtitles early. I'll reconfirm this when i get a chance.

UPDATE - I've been told by several people that this is a port of the PSP version of the game which was called Akiba's Trip (Technically the first game). The visuals make sense now.

Gameplay on PS5:

Last edited:
Are the games in this series good? I'm looking for more stuff that is Shenmue meets Persona 5. There are three games now in this series? All on Ps4? I will admit that pulling their clothes off is weird to me. I know it's meant to be funny, and I am not hating, but as a mechanic, it seems it would be faster to just beat the piss out of them instead.

Last edited:
Are the games in this series good? I'm looking for more stuff that is Shenmue meets Persona 5. There are three games now in this series? All on Ps4? I will admit that pulling their clothes off is weird to me. I know it's meant to be funny, and I am not hating, but as a mechanic, it seems it would be faster to just beat the piss out of them instead.

Within the context of the game it makes sense pulling the clothes off as your enemies are kinda like vampires, so exposing their skin to sunlight is what actually kills them as they burn up. They didn't just put that into the game for fun.

It's a decent series, but not quite the Shenmue meets P5 you're looking for. Plays more like a brawler with a heavy emphasis on Akihabara culture. You could probably pick up Undead & Undressed pretty cheap these days if you wanted to give it a go as it's probably the best one.

Reactions: Isa

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Could be good but I think Japan has an unhealthy obsession with school kid drama.

wipeout364

The one I played was slightly pretty weak and I would not play another. It probably depends partly on how big a fan of anime/Japanese games you are. I think the fact you are mentioning shenmue and persona would indicate these games are not for you. I would point you in the direction of Like a Dragon(turn based) or Yakuza(real time combat).

Isa

Thanks for the impressions. I plan on picking it up as this game will be new to me. I'm not upset about the Vita port though its a shame it wasn't made to run better on newer hardware. I imagine their budget for this was next to nothing, and most was spent on VA. The small install size is a boon to me right now, as my PS5 and XSX are stuffed with games. Currently trying to play through Yuffie's dlc so I can wipe the game and move on to something else.

Have fun with it.

Keihart

Why does this look so much worse than the first one? is it comming out on Vita or what?

Edit: Oh shit, so this is why! it makes sense now, i completely see this as a PSP game.
UPDATE - I've been told by several people that this is a port of the PSP version of the game which was called Akiba's Trip (Technically the first game). The visuals make sense now.

Last edited:

Deft Beck

Why does this look so much worse than the first one? is it comming out on Vita or what?

Edit: Oh shit, so this is why! it makes sense now, i completely see this as a PSP game.
This is a VERY heavily upscaled and post-processed PSP port.

Top Bottom