• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Covenant isn't even out yet but let's speculate on Alien: Awakening

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Let's not.

At least the Alien sequels were all vastly different in their tone and style and premise. Ridley's just spinning his wheels. The mythology is dull. The one compelling character the series had is long dead.

If it really is a prequel, then showing what David and Shaw got up to in the 10 years between Prometheus and Covenant would seem to be the likely plot and while I love Fassbender's David, that storyline would be pretty limited unless they made a stop on another Engineer planet.

I'd rather Ridley just move the plot forward now, getting towards some of the answers to the questions from Prometheus, like why the Engineers changed their minds and wanted us dead and what the black goo is for, maybe show how the biomechanical Xeno came to be, over the more natural, animal like Xeno in Covenant.

If Ridley really does want to go all over the place and piss about with the time line, then I'm starting to think we might have been better with Blomkamp's Aliens sequel. At least he wanted to try something different and fix what went wrong with the Alien series, even if he didn't pull it off it would have been interesting to see.

kevin1025

Banned
So that prologue they put out recently, with David and Shaw, that is just a digital short and not part of the movie, right?

I'm guessing David will give light to what happens in a throwaway line when he meets up with the new crew. So if that throwaway line becomes the centerpiece of Awakening, that could be neat. It's just... going backwards when you show the aftermath is a really, really tough sell. You can tell the Awakening story in quick bursts with dialogue, visuals, that sort of thing during Covenant and have the audience make their own ideas up for what happened.

But if they have a great idea, then I'll give it a chance.

Madao

so i guess the Metroid sequel structure circled back to the series that inspired Metrod in the first place?

what a turn of events.

Ferr986

A prequel to Covenant feels stupid IMO, considering that there's probably not a Xenomorph like we know them in that film (no, that fucker from the trailers looks different). So the origins of the true Xeno and the ship from the first film will have to wait atleast a couple of movies more. Seems needlesly stretched.

You realize that we're living in the 'verse where Alien3, Alien Resurrection and the AvP films exist?

Lol. Not even remotely close.

I'm exaggerating for humor, but the parallels are there. Keep in mind Ridley Scott only made Alien. He's publicly lamented the fact that he lost control of the franchise, similar to how George Lucas struggled with not having complete control over the original Star Wars trilogy. Ridley Scott somewhat disparaged the film he created as a 'B-movie,' and wants to 'right the ship' with a prequel trilogy in which he has complete creative control. In that trilogy he wants to explore where the bad guy came from even though no one was all that curious to begin with. He's not really doing that well of a job at it so far, though he himself seems to have a high opinion of what he's attempting to do versus what the original alien was attempting to do.

Add to that the superficial but funny observation that he is helping to create a sequel to a long dormant franchise with an ancient Harrison Ford, and I think it's an apt comparison :p

Jinroh

If it really is a prequel, then showing what David and Shaw got up to in the 10 years between Prometheus and Covenant would seem to be the likely plot
There's a prequel book releasing this year, I'm pretty sure that's what's going to be in it.

They wouldn't make a new movie out of an already existing book.

norm9

A theological quote appears on the screen. Another good looking crew headed by Fassbender heads out to an outpost. Part of this crew is a human Bishop, played by Lance Henriksen. (Yeah fanservice). Evil crewmember Fassbender wipes more alien goo on a moron. The moron turns out to be Newt's mama, retroactively making (in the future sequel Aliens) Newt part alien which is why she was able to survive so long on that planet before Ripley found her. A teenage Charles Dutton reprises his character as a thieving pastor who steals a spaceship in the middle of the movie with the space cops in tow (this is an Easter egg as we know Roc is in jail further along in the sequel). A theological quote appears on the screen.

Yeah I don't think you're going to see a pulse rifle anywhere near an Alien movie that Scott directs.

Especially since in every interview he's done for Covenant he mentions how he hated that the series became all about "bang bang, shoot shoot." I think he's exaggerating a bit since Aliens was so much more than that and Alien 3 had no guns but I get his point.

I think Ridley Scott has hinted that they're mad humanity killed Engineer-Jesus.

https://geektyrant.com/news/2012/6/...-the-engineers-true-intentions-is-it-con.html

Yes, that's right.

151.gif

Scott, just, oh my god, just stop, please. You're hurting yourself and it makes me sad.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
He never will, i always got the impression he loathed the things cameron added to the lore

Yeah I don't think you're going to see a pulse rifle anywhere near an Alien movie that Scott directs.

Then why do they have stuff like this on the official Prometheus website lol

And Covenant looks like it has plenty more shooting and explosions than Prometheus which itself had more shooting and explosions than Alien. I just figure if he's gonna have shooting may as well put a damn pulse rifle in there haha

Fassbender is the star of the prequels so far. He's mesmerising when he's on screeen so Id watch it

I'm with you. He's a good villain. Problem is we need a good protagonist. Doesn't have to be the same one in every prequel (it obviously won't in Covenant) but at least someone the audience can latch onto and go on a survival journey with.

kevin1025

Banned
uhhhhh..... wow. Is Ridley Scott creating his own extended universe? Will the Gladiator sequel feature an engineer Jesus?

When I originally read that, and there were Gladiator 2 rumors floating around and that he cracked how to do it, I figured he would make Maximus an Engineer and Gladiator 2 is also an Alien movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom