• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alita: Battle Angel Official Trailer #1

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Alita Trailer #1

Ummm, some parts look good. I don't know if that really sold the movie though. Not sure about the eyes either, it's an odd design choice. I could easily see this being another Valerian.

Oh, and Fox needs to stop with these weird trailer drops. Just release it on a Monday morning, not Friday afternoon. It buries itself.

Instead of casting a woman as the lead, they seem to have cast an extraterrestrial. That's...progressive? Greys don't get many roles, I suppose.

John Blade

That eye....it's weird to see those eye when the rest of the characters have normal eye look. I might just keep an eye of this movie but don't have a high hope right now.

Amey

It's like they inserted a Pixar character in a live action movie.
And why hire a known actress if u're not doing facial capture.

JordanN

Banned
I'm actually impressed the main character is completely CGI.

I thought it was an actor wearing prosthetics.

tib

Neo Member
Why did they do that to her? Rosa Salazar already looks like Alita... she's perfect for the role.

Wtf, that destroys the whole movie for me.

120v

i'm down with the eyes... you're supposed to feel right away there's something a bit "off" about her

EBE

She looked better than more recent attempts at cg characters. I think they've captured subtle facial movements, particularly those around the mouth, that other films just haven't yet. I'm thinking Rogue One and Justice League, where Superman just looked AWFUL

And the eyes, despite being heavily stylized, are still attractive. I think people would be hard pressed to argue that they are lifeless, as they so often can be. I think Cameron has rightly chosen to exaggerate certain elements of Alitas design much like he did the Navi in order to make her more approachable, on a empathic level.

That said, I don't like Rodriguez. So.....

Those giant eyes are pretty jarring. Nonetheless, I think this movie could be fun.
I remember watching the anime in the 90's. It had some nice violent action scenes. This Hollywood thing is probably only PG-13 though.

wtf is wrong with those Gollum eyes??

I have zero expectations considering this is a Hollywood live action adaption of an anime.

T.v

I... liked it. It's a daring design choice but I feel it actually works. The CG looked great. Far better at least than some recent attempts at CG characters. Still too early to make any judgements though but this trailer inspires some confidence. Cast looks great too, though I am not sure yet about the main guy.

LordRaptor

Those eyes... such a weird aesthetic decision.

Congrats youtube comments for the joke about it being filmed for EYEMAX though

That said, I don't like Rodriguez. So.....

Wha...? How come?
I'm more wary about Camerons involvement (who is faaaaar more hit and miss) than Rodriguez.

This Hollywood thing is probably only PG-13 though.

Spy Kids is a legit kid-friendly action film, so if anyone can make a decent action flick with a laughably inappropriate age rating, Robert Rodriguez can.

EBE

Wha...? How come?
I'm more wary about Camerons involvement (who is faaaaar more hit and miss) than Rodriguez.

Rodriguez is a B director and it shows. he's put out some decent work but nothing i hold in particularly high regard, not least to entrust a larger movie like this to.

and i think Cameron's only dud is True Lies. i dont think even Sculli would defend that (hes not here anymore is he?)

LordRaptor

Rodriguez is a B director and it shows

I don't think that's fair - he goes all in on making something entertaining from whatever material he's working with, even when it is as dumb as hell, and really, that is exactly who you want working on a live action anime.

Planet Terror, Machete Kills or Dusk Till Dawn are never going to win Oscars, but they are entertaining as hell.
Cameron hasn't done much in the way of action direction for literally decades, and his superbudget blockbusters are often ponderous and in need of editing - but who's going to chop chunks out of a James Cameron film to get the runtime down and keep it paced excitingly?

Laserdisk

Rodriguez is a B director and it shows. he's put out some decent work but nothing i hold in particularly high regard, not least to entrust a larger movie like this to.

and i think Cameron's only dud is True Lies. i dont think even Sculli would defend that (hes not here anymore is he?)
Nah, he needed a budget and guidance, and True lies is a dud????
Yeah, not so much.
His last good script was Strange days and that was way past Lies.

EBE

I don't think that's fair - he goes all in on making something entertaining from whatever material he's working with, even when it is as dumb as hell, and really, that is exactly who you want working on a live action anime.

Planet Terror, Machete Kills or Dusk Till Dawn are never going to win Oscars, but they are entertaining as hell.
Cameron hasn't done much in the way of action direction for literally decades, and his superbudget blockbusters are often ponderous and in need of editing - but who's going to chop chunks out of a James Cameron film to get the runtime down and keep it paced excitingly?

I'm not too familiar with the original source material. So I can't comment on whether his style matches up more or less with the tone of the manga. I think he can shoot a good action sequence and his movies always have a nice energy and pace to them - they are, as you say, entertaining - but I would've liked someone with just a bit more... talent, I guess. I know I'm not being entirely fair to Mr Rodriguez but... He's also the director of sharkboy and lava girl.

And don't NONE of you tell me Cameron's done anything half as bad as that turd cos I won't fuck that shit

Also, does anyone know the involvement of the original source team? The artists, authors, et cetera

That id be interested to learn more about

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Also, does anyone know the involvement of the original source team? The artists, authors, et cetera

That id be interested to learn more about

Next to zero would be my guess. The creator just has the usual "Based on" credit, so no involvement with the screenplay and isn't even a producer on the film. They'll probably give some interview before the movie comes out where they give their blessing aka the royalty check cleared.

EBE

Next to zero would be my guess. The creator just has the usual "Based on" credit, so no involvement with the screenplay and isn't even a producer on the film. They'll probably give some interview before the movie comes out where they give their blessing aka the royalty check cleared.

That would be my guess as well. The film is being made because Cameron took an interest in the manga itself, though, not because a script was lying around and the Hollywood machine found a director they could push the property onto. I cant see him collaborating with them due to how he handles his projects (I really mean to say his ego) but you never know

Durask

Well, the manga is still ongoing, although I am becoming a bit turned off, one atrocity after another in every page, I think the author is slipping into depression again.

The movie looks eeh, if the story is good at best a cult favorite.

Top Bottom