• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Portland Walmart stores to permanently close in late March

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I simply can't wrap my head around a supposed 1st world country allowing gangs of cunts to run amok inside shops and simply leave with stolen goods and for the police to not even bother, the fact that swathes of "society" simply think this is acceptable is fucking alien to me

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I simply can't wrap my head around a supposed 1st world country allowing gangs of cunts to run amok inside shops and simply leave with stolen goods and for the police to not even bother, the fact that swathes of "society" simply think this is acceptable is fucking alien to me
There are some really terrible places in the US that would surprise you.

killatopak

I felt extremely guilty when I had forgotten to pay an additional $0.15 when I heard the price wrong. Owner even complained and whined about it the next day I bought a bottle of coke.

And you’re telling me people there can get away with $750? Crazy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Chicago and Detroit so true about ghettos and abandoned buildings.

The first time I ever went to Chicago, we drove. It's an 8 hour drive from Toronto. My buddy drove and you take a highway right into downtown Chicago. As you drive in, there were literally abandoned apartments along the highway. No windows or boarded up windows. That was 20 years ago. So maybe it's all tidied up now, but it was the first time in my entire life I've ever seen derelict buildings like that.

Detroit was different kind of sketchiness. A good buddy lives in Windsor, which some buddies and I have driven up to and stayed at his place or a hotel (hang out, his wedding etc...). We got tickets to a Red Wings game and a bunch of went and stayed at his place. There's two ways to get over to Detroit. You can take an underground tunnel right where downtown is, or you drive west a bit and take a bridge. Then drive back east to get to downtown Detroit. My buddy said it's actually faster to do the detour bridge way. He drove. We get over the bridge and now head east to downtown.

It was like an episode of COPS or the movies. You know how you watch movies and if it involves druggies it's blocks of empty boarded up houses which looks like nobody has lived in for 5 or 10 years? 100% true. You'd get robbed and shot if this was midnight. And the crazy thing is that west bridge to downtown isn't even a big distance, yet you got a combo of ghetto and nice skyscrapers all jammed in there.

But as crazy as it seems, you get to a point near downtown and everything magically changes and downtown Detroit is super nice with slick office towers, green grass, well kept. It's like night an day.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
My first time visiting America I got a bus from Toronto down to Buffalo and then onto Rochester and ho boy was it some journey. It basically alternated between normal looking and Mogadishu.

I got off the bus to change at Buffalo and had a few hours to kill and asked some guy in the station where's good for a walk, he looked at me and said best to stay in the station, I thought fuck this I've grown up in Belfast through the troubles and can handle myself not 5mins out the door some big dude comes walking towards me and I stop and say "what the fuck do you want mate" puffing my chest out and he's completely out of it trying to sell me a load of wanky watches, tell him to politely fuck off, another 5mins accosted again by a homeless dude looking to sell me drugs, everywhere I looked it just looked grim so I thought fuck this back to the station, got to Rochester waiting outside the station for my uncle and another 2 sketchy dudes trying to sell me shit, then we proceeded to drive through Rochester and I'm thinking I've seen this shit in On the telly only it was South African slums.

The juxtaposition from normal to serious abject poverty was crazy it just blew my mind, I always thought America was rich as shit and had everything, I didn't expect to see the sort of poverty you'd see in 3rd world countries and it's seemingly getting worse going by the videos of people just brazingly stealing shit not giving a fuck yet you have the highest incarceration rate in the world?? Somit ain't right chaps

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My first time visiting America I got a bus from Toronto down to Buffalo and then onto Rochester and ho boy was it some journey. It basically alternated between normal looking and Mogadishu.

I got off the bus to change at Buffalo and had a few hours to kill and asked some guy in the station where's good for a walk, he looked at me and said best to stay in the station, I thought fuck this I've grown up in Belfast through the troubles and can handle myself not 5mins out the door some big dude comes walking towards me and I stop and say "what the fuck do you want mate" puffing my chest out and he's completely out of it trying to sell me a load of wanky watches, tell him to politely fuck off, another 5mins accosted again by a homeless dude looking to sell me drugs, everywhere I looked it just looked grim so I thought fuck this back to the station, got to Rochester waiting outside the station for my uncle and another 2 sketchy dudes trying to sell me shit, then we proceeded to drive through Rochester and I'm thinking I've seen this shit in On the telly only it was South African slums.

The juxtaposition from normal to serious abject poverty was crazy it just blew my mind, I always thought America was rich as shit and had everything, I didn't expect to see the sort of poverty you'd see in 3rd world countries and it's seemingly getting worse going by the videos of people just brazingly stealing shit not giving a fuck yet you have the highest incarceration rate in the world?? Somit ain't right chaps
Should had stayed in Toronto. :)

I go to Buffalo a few times a year for a Sabres game. There's some really bad broken down neighbourhoods too. White blue collar town so ever bar plays Bon Jovi and 80s rock. But the people are super nice. Never had an issue ever. Old and crusty bars, but the people in them are the chillest I've ever met. Then again, were not at bus stations. The city and people have no money to renovate homes. Who knows, maybe the inside of their houses are slick, but the exterior of every building and house you see in Buffalo looks like it hasn't been renewed or repainted since 1974.

Never been to Rochester, so not sure what that place is like.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Should had stayed in Toronto. :)

I go to Buffalo a few times a year for a Sabres game. There's some really bad broken down neighbourhoods too. White blue collar town so ever bar plays Bon Jovi and 80s rock. But the people are super nice. Never had an issue ever. Old and crusty bars, but the people in them are the chillest I've ever met. Then again, were not at bus stations. The city and people have no money to renovate homes. Who knows, maybe the inside of their houses are slick, but the exterior of every building and house you see in Buffalo looks like it hasn't been renewed or repainted since 1974.

Never been to Rochester, so not sure what that place is like.
You could really see the difference in crossing the border, now this is more than 20yrs ago I dare say it's changed a lot since then, although I couldn't tell you for the better but as a young Irishman on his first visit to America it was an eye opener

The evil has been defeated. Keep unionizing boys and girls. They can't close them all.
What makes you think this is about unions and not theft? But either way, people who care barely afford to live in portland already are going to suffer because of this.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

A very thorough, well-sourced article on this. Well worth the read if one wants to understand why the US seems so scrambled and disfunctional compared to every other developed nation:

Edit: the article hits close to home because I spent a summer in the rural area of Oklahoma mentioned in the article. Fond memories of that place.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

What makes you think this is about unions and not theft? But either way, people who care barely afford to live in portland already are going to suffer because of this.
Considering Walmart is one of the biggest reasons for a lot of these people's woes I won't cry at all.

MrMephistoX

Big box retail was a mistake: how many mom and pop shops did Walmart needlessly put out of business only to just pull up anchor and leave?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
A very thorough, well-sourced article on this. Well worth the read if one wants to understand why the US seems so scrambled and disfunctional compared to every other developed nation:

Edit: the article hits close to home because I spent a summer in the rural area of Oklahoma mentioned in the article. Fond memories of that place.
I'd love to comment on this but I fear I'd be given a (justifiable) right kick in the bollocks for discussing politics, it doesn't take a blind man to see that America has massive issues with its 2 party system, like I said for the richest nation on earth you guys sure as shit don't spend it on helping one another, I mean who the fuck needs 11 massive aircraft carriers when you don't have free healthcare like most civilised countries

Strider311

What is the consensus over there? Do people think Portland is salvageable? From the outside looking in that seems incredibly unlikely.
Used to live in Portland during the insanity of 2020. It cannot be saved. It’s now a wasteland. Thanks “mostly peaceful protesters”/homeless/rampant crime.

So much of the modern world is just changing things in the dumbest ways possible only to find out that the old way was that way for a reason.
Mostly just the west. You better hope the pendulum swings back because a war breaks out with China their younger generations aren't a bunch of gender confused soft sack of shit spoiled manbabies who don't even love their country.

Last edited:
Considering Walmart is one of the biggest reasons for a lot of these people's woes I won't cry at all.
I'm not suggesting that you should cry for walmart. Walmart hurts all the other businesses around them by selling food and retail goods at the lowest prices available. But you do understand that if that becomes the baseline, taking that cheap source of food and merchandise away from everyone who had come to depend on it is going to hurt a lot of people, right? And in the middle of some serious food cost inflation, this is all even worse than it would have been otherwise.

And you didn't answer my question either. What makes you think that this is about unions and not theft?

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'd love to comment on this but I fear I'd be given a (justifiable) right kick in the bollocks for discussing politics, it doesn't take a blind man to see that America has massive issues with its 2 party system, like I said for the richest nation on earth you guys sure as shit don't spend it on helping one another, I mean who the fuck needs 11 massive aircraft carriers when you don't have free healthcare like most civilised countries

Yea I am not trying to be political. This article merely makes observations and uses the best sources of info they possibly can and in doing so it ends up appearing as though it is coming from an angle. But it's not. All of the things it discusses are easily provable thanks to the sourcing. This is just the way things are and it's really fucked up.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Yea I am not trying to be political. This article merely makes observations and uses the best sources of info they possibly can and in doing so it ends up appearing as though it is coming from an angle. But it's not. All of the things it discusses are easily provable thanks to the sourcing. This is just the way things are and it's really fucked up.
I fully agree with everything in that article btw

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yeah there's no way this isn't some scumbag profits above people situation. Folks love to hate on Wally, but for some communities it is the only thing keeping people from living in food deserts.

. . . if this is legit that they just CAN'T make a profit in these two stores in a heavily progressive state. . .ok. Not buying it though.

poodaddy

This was an extremely interesting, informative video. As someone who has traveled quite a lot of the country by car, I always manage to miss places like this due to my staying close to the interstate. Fascinating to see how bad it gets out there.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Yeah there's no way this isn't some scumbag profits above people situation. Folks love to hate on Wally, but for some communities it is the only thing keeping people from living in food deserts.

. . . if this is legit that they just CAN'T make a profit in these two stores in a heavily progressive state. . .ok. Not buying it though.
Business is all about profits and if those stores are losing money for whatever reason, goodwill ain't keeping them open which is a pity considering how much money Walmart Makes.

Walmart annual gross profit for 2023 was $147.568B, a 2.65% increase from 2022. Walmart annual gross profit for 2022 was $143.754B, a 3.54% increase from 2021. Walmart annual gross profit for 2021 was $138.836B, a 7.33% increase from 2020

With those sort of profits you'd like to think they'd keep a few loss making stores open for the good of the people but capitalism and the Wally's yachts don't fuel themselves

Moneal

Business is all about profits and if those stores are losing money for whatever reason, goodwill ain't keeping them open which is a pity considering how much money Walmart Makes.

Walmart annual gross profit for 2023 was $147.568B, a 2.65% increase from 2022. Walmart annual gross profit for 2022 was $143.754B, a 3.54% increase from 2021. Walmart annual gross profit for 2021 was $138.836B, a 7.33% increase from 2020

With those sort of profits you'd like to think they'd keep a few loss making stores open for the good of the people but capitalism and the Wally's yachts don't fuel themselves
They do have stores that lose money. There is one near me that lost money for years, I know because I worked at the one in my town and we got the numbers for the ones around us. The store was huge and newer so they expected it to become profitable at some point.

Shifty1897

All the stores in the suburbs (including the one down the street from me) are still open, but yeah the combination of basically closing all retail, restaurants, hotels and office spaces for an extended amount of time in Portland during the pandemic caused massive job loss when a lot of the places that closed never reopened. Then measure 110 passed and possession of all drugs became 100% legal in the state, and a lot of people got addicted, and some of those became homeless, and now they resort to petty theft for the things they need. Plus the whole city turned on the police during the George Floyd and border wall riots and a lot of them quit, so most of the time if you call the police and a violent crime isn't happening, there's no one to come stop the theft.

I'm not surprised at all. This place is a total shit hole nowadays.

Brazen

They do have stores that lose money. There is one near me that lost money for years, I know because I worked at the one in my town and we got the numbers for the ones around us. The store was huge and newer so they expected it to become profitable at some point.

Theft is a whole other scale of loss and can be more immediately impactful than missing a projection on an earnings report kind of loss. Not only does a store lose the value of the item in the stock they lose the future profit/sale of the item at the same time. It's a double wammy on the books that adds up real damn quick and a huge red flag for any business operating on a <5% profit margin. If I was a regional manager and it being my job to solve the dilemma of theft (in order to have operating profitable stores for the company) in an area with no enforcement for it? I'd green light shutting those stores down also unless the government/community wants to solve the issue or I'd be risking my own job/worth to the company.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
They not only allow it there are foxes actively defending and promoting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom