• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I wrong or right? Space/Time question...

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
So... A friend of mine posted something on FB asking what would happen if a white hole met a black hole ... Would one consume the other or would they be at a stalemate for eternity? I had a different conclusion to her scenario:

"
Ok... Let me see. They're both singularities but they're each other's opposites. A white hole expels energy, matter and information and has no event horizon... While a black hole consumes energy, matter and information but HAS an event horizon.

What does this sound like? An Einstein-Rosen bridge aka a Shwarzchild wormhole. It's been theorized that a BH and a WH are connected.

Think of 2 universes, with one having been born of the other. "Stuff" is sucked into the BH from Universe A and expelled into Universe B.

In reality, they can't meet either because they're 2 sides of the same coin (literally) or a WH happens spontaneously and is only around for a split second (relatively speaking).

It's also theorized that WHs are the cause of big bangs... Energy, matter and information came from a different universe and was "belched" into what eventually became a new universe.

They can't meet."

What say GAF?

brian0057

Banned
As far as I know, a "white hole" is just theoretical and hasn't been discovered yet.
I think it would happen something similar to when two black holes colide. They basically "fuse" and form an even bigger black hole, releasing energy and gravity waves in the process.

Don't quote me on this, I have a degree in Electrical Engineering focused on Communication Systems, not Astro Physics.

>implying white holes exist

If they exist and they last, no external source can affect them past the event horizon but the black hole will eat everything around it (and it will look exactly like two black holes meeting). I assume the event horizons don't act like magnets to bounce off of each other. Maybe a big black hole can engulf the entire white hole's event horizon, which will continue to belch matter while inside the black hole's horizon. Or maybe they'll just orbit each other until one evaporates, or maybe they meet like asteroids with appropriate trajectory modifications.

If they exist but are instantaneous, it's the same scenario and it will probably look cooler.
If they exist in the dude the big bang was a white hole lmao sense, they won't meet.

nush

7W1c5V0.gif

So... A friend of mine posted something on FB asking what would happen if a white hole met a black hole ... Would one consume the other or would they be at a stalemate for eternity? I had a different conclusion to her scenario:

"
Ok... Let me see. They're both singularities but they're each other's opposites. A white hole expels energy, matter and information and has no event horizon... While a black hole consumes energy, matter and information but HAS an event horizon.

What does this sound like? An Einstein-Rosen bridge aka a Shwarzchild wormhole. It's been theorized that a BH and a WH are connected.

Think of 2 universes, with one having been born of the other. "Stuff" is sucked into the BH from Universe A and expelled into Universe B.

In reality, they can't meet either because they're 2 sides of the same coin (literally) or a WH happens spontaneously and is only around for a split second (relatively speaking).

It's also theorized that WHs are the cause of big bangs... Energy, matter and information came from a different universe and was "belched" into what eventually became a new universe.

They can't meet."

What say GAF?

I like all kinds of holes
4whbjg.jpg

eot

Banned
A white hole is essentially a region of space which nothing can enter, so it doesn't make sense to talk about anything colliding with one.

Think of a movie of a black hole, but running in reverse. Something colliding with the white hole would imply that in the forward time direction something came out of the black hole.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Assuming similar mass, they would cancel out one another like antimatter.

That being said, the bigger problem there would be the information paradox.

As an expert on nothing related to this at all I predict:

A black hole will be filled / charged by the white whole until only one exists and the other inert - winner depending on their relative size / energy.

Equal mass / charge black and white holes on a perfect collision course would cancel each other out.

When a larger white hole hits or passes a smaller black hole, the latter either becomes fuller and charged until the white hole passes, becoming denser at the singularity and have a larger event horizon. This could also alter or create a spin in the smaller black hole.
After the passing or later once topped up by natural absorbtion, it expels the additional mass / energy perhaps as a tail forming a one way worm hole or perhaps an eruption on its' reverse side - which would be observed as a white hole to an observer facing the expulsion.

Basically, you get a space fart.

Top Bottom