• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD drops the mic with the longest lasting gaming laptop

LordOfChaos

If AMD had a weak spot in mobile chips it was largely platform energy use...This too, seems overcome.

For 8 cores this seems downright cheap to my mind, we've been stuck on 4 for so very long!

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Hey now; make sure you read that fine print

Along with the Zephyrus G14's killer performance, what stands out about the laptop is its wild battery life. After the Zephyrus continuously surfed the web over Wi-Fi at 150 nits of brightness, its battery died at 11 hours and 32 minutes. That makes it the longest-lasting gaming laptop you can buy right now. It's nearly three times as long as the 4:26 mainstream gaming laptop average. The G7 15 (3:12) and the Scar III (5:09) were all put to shame.

That's NOT 11 hours of gaming
I'll give it the long battery life over all, but what about when the juice is REALLY going on say, Doom Eternal?

LordOfChaos

I'll give it the long battery life over all, but what about when the juice is REALLY going on say, Doom Eternal?

11 hours of gaming with this performance would need a briefcase sized and very not-plane legal battery. Let me bold the other part against what it's competing with, you'll get a fraction of this while actually gaming but the point remains that gaming laptops usually come with poor battery life for everything, not only games

It's nearly three times as long as the 4:26 mainstream gaming laptop average. The G7 15 (3:12) and the Scar III (5:09) were all put to shame.

Gaming while on the battery generally isn't something I'd advise (high heat + high drain is going to kill batteries fast), but if you see a number for that I'd be curious too

raduque

You'll get about 45 minutes of gaming on battery, and it definitely ain't gonna be ar full speed. That's every gaming laptop, btw.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
You'll get about 45 minutes of gaming on battery, and it definitely ain't gonna be ar full speed. That's every gaming laptop, btw.
yeah gaming laptops are more like gimped compact pc's with a screen attached.
do not kid yourself that they are usable on the go.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
11 hours of gaming with this performance would need a briefcase sized and very not-plane legal battery. Let me bold the other part against what it's competing with, you'll get a fraction of this while actually gaming but the point remains that gaming laptops usually come with poor battery life for everything, not only games

It's nearly three times as long as the 4:26 mainstream gaming laptop average. The G7 15 (3:12) and the Scar III (5:09) were all put to shame.

Gaming while on the battery generally isn't something I'd advise (high heat + high drain is going to kill batteries fast), but if you see a number for that I'd be curious too
Which is my point; it's a bit misleading to the average consumer
If people were interested in a lap top for average uses, say, browsing the web, that would make more sense

It's implied that with a gaming lap top, you would be gaming on it

Now I'll be one to say "Well yeah do your research," and "Duh," about a lot of compy stuff, but saying it has long battery life for a task that's not its main selling point is misleading.

LordOfChaos

Which is my point; it's a bit misleading to the average consumer
If people were interested in a lap top for average uses, say, browsing the web, that would make more sense

It's implied that with a gaming lap top, you would be gaming on it

Now I'll be one to say "Well yeah do your research," and "Duh," about a lot of compy stuff, but saying it has long battery life for a task that's not its main selling point is misleading.

Every test lays out what it's testing, web browsing and "normal" use, and here it's up to 3 times better than competing gaming laptops. I'm not seeing any mislead, unless you really try hard to see it.

DESTROYA

Really like the hardware but ASUS gaming laptops are overpriced and very overrated, this is a very loud laptop that tends to run on the hot side when stressed.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Every test lays out what it's testing, web browsing and "normal" use, and here it's up to 3 times better than competing gaming laptops. I'm not seeing any mislead, unless you really try hard to see it.
I agree they do lay out their testing, but you also have to take into account MOST people aren't going to read the full reviews
And that the salesman in Best Buy is going to turn around and say "Yep totally has 11 hours of battery life!" to the person buying it because of the product sheet they were handed

Knit picky as it might be, here's what I have the issue with
The Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 wowed us with its 11-plus hours of battery life, awesome AMD CPU performance and lightning-fast SSD.
That's the summary; to me they should state "11-plus hours of battery life using it to browse the web."

I'm not knocking the performance of the processor or anything, just the damn marketing for gaming lap tops; completely misleading

Last edited:

745502.jpg

LordOfChaos

"So we needed a fair comparison" Pulls out huge, phat, power hungry, overclocked, far more expensive Helios 700

#SuBae

Linus review of laptop running Ryzen 4900HS

Some highlights:
- Beats i9-9980HK by about 25% in Cinebench R20
- Better mutlicore and singlecore performance that i9-9980HK
- Up to 10 hours of battery life

Last edited:

element

I'm watching very closely. I'm hopeful for other OEMs like Dell or Lenovo to make one. My dream is Apple would make the switch, but that will never happen :( Here hoping for easy Hackintosh.

LordOfChaos

Weight. Portability. I have MacBook Pro 13" and it is awesome and a Lenovo Carbon X1 for work and it is great.

I don't think I'd ever go over 15" laptop again. Between the base weight and then adding in the power brick you are looking at 6 to 8 lbs to carry around. No thanks.

I was team 15" for a long time because of the power afforded over a 13", but after using a 14" Thinkpad for work for a few years I suddenly found going back to a 15" felt like the thing was the size of an aircraft carrier! Though you can now get 15"s closer to 3-4 pounds, which really isn't bad at all compared to the 6-7 pound brick I would have carried in college.

Though I was never pretentious enough to say EVERYONE should have that size lol, don't need the power, don't take the bulk. Especially now when you can get this crazy 8 core that destroys fat monsters in a fairly thin 14".

Last edited:

Fbh

That's pretty good.
It's obviously not while gaming, but gaming laptops tend to have shitty battery life in general so this makes it more attractive as a sort of all around device. Not everyone wants a gaming capable laptop to play all the time in every place, there's a market for devices with decent battery life that you can use for regular tasks, but then you get home or to your hotel room or whatever and you can plug it in and play some stuff on it.

It's also nice some manufacturers have realized you can put a decent GPU in a laptop without having to make the whole thing look as if it was designed for edgy 12 years olds.

iHaunter

BAD STUFF
  • No webcam
  • 16:9 aspect ratio is cumbersome for productivity
  • CPU gets hot
What clownery is this writer going on about. How is 16:9 cumbersome for productivity? As opposed to what? The idiotic 768p resolution most laptops have?

LordOfChaos

BAD STUFF
  • No webcam
  • CPU gets hot
What clownery is this writer going on about. How is 16:9 cumbersome for productivity? As opposed to what? The idiotic 768p resolution most laptops have?

As opposed to 16:10 or taller form factors, and I agree there. 16:9 is mostly best for watching videos all day, but for productivity more horizontal rows really helps, really like that Apple stuck to 16:10 all this time. Most converged on 16:9 because of economies of scale on the panels. Dell is moving back to 16:10 which is great.

Aspect ratio isn't resolution...The equivalent of 1920x1080 going from 16:9 to 16:10 would be 1920x1200.

Last edited:

element

I was team 15" for a long time because of the power afforded over a 13", but after using a 14" Thinkpad for work for a few years I suddenly found going back to a 15" felt like the thing was the size of an aircraft carrier! Though you can now get 15"s closer to 3-4 pounds, which really isn't bad at all compared to the 6-7 pound brick I would have carried in college.

Though I was never pretentious enough to say EVERYONE should have that size lol, don't need the power, don't take the bulk. Especially now when you can get this crazy 8 core that destroys fat monsters in a fairly thin 14".
I remember taking my Dell 15" laptop to GDC one year and it was awful. Between the laptop and battery it was 10lbs to lug around. Just can't do that anymore after having either a MacBook Air and recently a Pro and either a Surface or Carbon X1 for work. Feels like an aircraft carrier is the truth.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
BAD STUFF
  • No webcam
  • CPU gets hot
16:10 is better for stuf like programming shit, etc. Obviously 3:2 surface laptop ratio is best for that.

ZywyPL

Banned
14 inch is really the max size i would consider for a laptop. Any bigger is just a pain to lug around.

Depends on A) the resolution, and B) screen-to-body ratio. 13-14" displays are fine as long as they support at least 1080p resolution, anything below is a pain in the ass to use in my opinion, not to mention to actually work on. As for the size, as always - the bigger the better. LG gram has a 17" display inside a typical 15" laptop case, that's quite an accomplishment. MS Surface Laptops also have pretty neat displays thanks to their 3:2 proportions.

LordOfChaos

"Just wait three days till CML-S! You'll see!"

i7 10700: 176 Watts
Ryzen 7 3700X: 91 Watts

OK Intel

"Just wait three days till CML-S! You'll see!"

i7 10700: 176 Watts
Ryzen 7 3700X: 91 Watts

OK Intel

Even worse, Comet Lake uses a different socket.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Thoughts and prayers for Leonidas Leonidas .

I imagined a day that AMD would be competitive with Intel on the desktop space.

I never imagined a day when AMD had the better CPU in laptops.

This is HUGE for AMD.

llien

Thoughts and prayers for Leonidas Leonidas .

I imagined a day that AMD would be competitive with Intel on the desktop space.

I never imagined a day when AMD had the better CPU in laptops.

This is HUGE for AMD.

No worries for Intel, OEMs will ensure AMD gains only single digit % of the market, at best.

zcaa0g

Banned
I guess that's good if you're on an airplane or train if they don't have power outlets, but just about everywhere else has power so don't give a shit about battery life. Real men and women run on power, not batteries.

LordOfChaos

I guess that's good if you're on an airplane or train if they don't have power outlets, but just about everywhere else has power so don't give a shit about battery life. Real men and women run on power, not batteries.

And it still dominates the fatass Intel laptop on AC power. Efficiency = power.

PhoenixTank

I've never seen someone gatekeep quite like this before. Not a laptop user myself but there has been a heavy push for long battery life from Intel since something like 2012/2013?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Why even make 14" laptop? Do midgets buy them? 17" should be minimum.
I feel the same way about "gaming" laptops in general. Maybe I'm not a true gamer but I'd rather read a book than game on a laptop like that. Not going to gimp the experience just so I can have it anywhere. Same thing with people who watch tv/movies on cellphones. wt-actual-f.

As for the size, as always - the bigger the better. LG gram has a 17" display inside a typical 15" laptop case, that's quite an accomplishment.
No way I am carrying a laptop that is over 14 inch around, ideally 13.

Obviously as you said pixel density and screen ratio is important as well if you do productivity work on it.

Top Bottom