• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD RDNA 4 GPUs To Incorporate Brand New Ray Tracing Engine, Vastly Different Than RDNA 3

Great time as far as performance jumps. Was such an exciting time. I remembering seeing people doing 8800 sli rigs and seething with jealousy. I would’ve killed to have a pc like yours at the time. I was stuck on a pentium 4 and 9600 pro (the ATi one) until like 2009. Was broke at the time.
Yeah. It was the time of Crysis benchmarks and 8800 Ultra.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I expect a huge turnaround on r/AMD that RT now matters, after saying for the last 3 gens it didn’t 🙃

Better late to the party than never

But I have a feeling Nvidia will turn RT on its head again, it’s already outdated to think you’ll brute force with the original RT pipelines, they’re balls deep into AI and their Neural cache radiance solution for RT could the beginning of a different RT block philosophy. Why even brute force your way with Monte Carlo or ReSTIR? AI knows what real light should look like. Anyway, just a guess, but NCR is probably their next step according to papers.
Uh, actually the problem with RT everyone has, including myself, is that it is too expensive for the results you get in comparison to rasterized lighting, most of great spots are limited to specific sections so why lose performance of the 80% of the game for that? If RT wasn't that expensive or even free, nobody would be saying we don't care about RT, it's just that it's not worth it the performance impact.

AMD having new RT hardware is great, nobody can deny that, whether it makes RT actually worth it for most players is another matter.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Still the first out the door, that was my point about innovation (even though it's closed ecosystem). Yes now everything is standard and Gsync modules have nearly all disappeared except for their top line.

What I mean in all this is that Nvidia isn't twiddling their thumbs like Intel did. I seriously don't believe in a Ryzen story here for GPU side.

Yes, nvidia was the first, but in this case, AMD did win. One of the few, in recent times.
Freesync is the standard on PCs and consoles. On monitors and TVs. even if some manufacturers rebranded it as Gsync Compatible.

You are correct, nvidia a is not Intel. Jensen Huang is not an incompetent fool like Krzanich.
So it'0s unlikely that AMD will overtake nvidia. Be it in the GPU space, or for AI.

shamoomoo

Outside of a couple outliers like Cyberpunk and Alan Wake 2, sponsored games don’t get any special treatment, or function better than non-sponsored games. Hell, AMD sponsored The Last of Us.
The point is there are few games with relatively good implementation of RT independent of Nvidia on PC. Yeah, AMD could sponsor games to make sure RT runs decent on their GPUs.

Top Bottom