• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Pie, Home Alone, Planes, Trains & Automobiles

Sybrix

What’s with these mega houses these characters live in?

The houses these families live in…. are these rich Americans or typical USA family homes?

I’m from the UK and seeing these movies and these huge houses makes me think these are normal homes in America, am
I right?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yes and no. USA is huge with lots of land. In lots of states huge swathes were developed and they put up massive houses that are often tacky and not very well built. They're called McMansions. But a really nice house like the one in Home Alone, surrounded by other large, nice houses? That's a lot of wealth. You go to places like northern New Jersey and Westchester NY and the nice suburbs of Chicago and they're very very expensive.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
1e669ecef05e19f0c21538dc86d76663.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
The last one is the fatal flaw of this show, especially watching as an adult. If I was in Al's, ahem, shoes, I would be giving Peg the business very very VERY frequently if you know what I mean.

The genius of Married With Children is that when you watch it as a kid you think Al is a loser and his wife is a whining bitch, but when you're an adult you realize this fucking guy carries the entire family on his shoe salesman salary, they have a huge house, he has awesome friends and Peggy is hot as fuck.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The genius of Married With Children is that when you watch it as a kid you think Al is a loser and his wife is a whining bitch, but when you're an adult you realize this fucking guy carries the entire family on his shoe salesman salary, they have a huge house, he has awesome friends and Peggy is hot as fuck.
We are all agreed that Modern Family is just Al later in life right???

Kelly settles down eventually, Al divorces Peg and hooks up with a smoking hot Latina, and Bud......well, we all saw it coming :p

jason10mm

Gold Member
I have a 5200sqft house. I am middle class in the US.
Jeeesssuuus chhhrriiisst, you ever find a room you totally forgot about? Or have a squatter family living there for a few years? :p

If I had a 5000 sq+ place I'd be terrified of wings of my palace left neglected with monsters moving in :p

At least for Home Alone and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, the answer is John Hughes is from Gross Pointe, Michigan. If you ever drive through that area, it looks a lot like the neighborhoods in all his movies.

You do get the impression from his written and directed movies that he may never have actually set foot outside Grosse Pointe or Chicago.

AJUMP23

Jeeesssuuus chhhrriiisst, you ever find a room you totally forgot about? Or have a squatter family living there for a few years? :p

If I had a 5000 sq+ place I'd be terrified of wings of my palace left neglected with monsters moving in :p
It is big. But I know where everything is.
my master has 3 closets. 😳

Mistake

In the countryside it's more common to have bigger houses. My family house has 6 acres and 12 rooms. Boring as hell though. Maybe I'll go back when I retire

Mossybrew

Yeah Home Alone house was rich family vibes even back in the day, dunno bout those other movies, havent seen them

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

The houses these families live in…. are these rich Americans or typical USA family homes?

I’m from the UK and seeing these movies and these huge houses makes me think these are normal homes in America, am
I right?
Its just hollywood making the tv show or movie have a nice home so everone feels good about it. It would be weird to show a family living in a sketchy ghetto. Also, for sake of ease and camerawork, most of the time the floor/layout is shown as one big long flat when in reality most people's homes are more square shaped, but if they made the tv set like that you cant pan the camera left to right. You'd have to move in and out or change camerawork to a new room. Often, you'll see the tv show layout being [Front door --> Livingroom --> Kitchen] as if every house is lone long thin line that is open with no walls or doors. Most homes arent like that.

Most of the time in hollywood, the homes will be super neat and tidy too as if the family buys nice stuff and cleans the place everyday. And they always wear shoes indoors, which I have never seen ever in life.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Y’all remember a couple years ago when they ran a contest to stay in the real Home Alone house with Buz for a few days? I wanted to win that contest so bad.

E-Cat

Yes and no. USA is huge with lots of land. In lots of states huge swathes were developed and they put up massive houses that are often tacky and not very well built. They're called McMansions. But a really nice house like the one in Home Alone, surrounded by other large, nice houses? That's a lot of wealth. You go to places like northern New Jersey and Westchester NY and the nice suburbs of Chicago and they're very very expensive.
I think Kevin's dad was an ad exec of some sort, so was probably getting paid exorbitant sums of money.

Trunx81

I think Al inherited the house, if I recall right.

What bothers me more are these home improvement shows where two people with average jobs have a few millions to spend on renovations.

The last one is the fatal flaw of this show, especially watching as an adult. If I was in Al's, ahem, shoes, I would be giving Peg the business very very VERY frequently if you know what I mean.
Yeah.. she was a fucking milf. Her appearance was exaggerated and was very animated due to her attire, IMO.

drganon

With home alone, it makes sense the house is big due to all the traps Kevin has to layout.

Although as nush pointed out, the actual interior was a set. Filming inside an actual house would be a pain due to walls getting in the way of Filming equipment.

Kenpachii

Daaaamn. Imagine Home Alone in this place? That shit turning into Temco's Deception

richie-rich-house-movie-poster-700x393.jpg

biltmore-estate-america-largest-home-700x463.jpg

The 8,000-acre estate features 250 rooms spread out over four stories, including 35 bedrooms, 43 bathrooms and 65 fireplaces. It has an amazing library consisting of 10,000 volumes, many of them gilt-edged and leather-bound, and a Banquet Hall with a 70-foot ceiling

Kenpachii

I right?

Always blew my mind how big those houses where even when i was a kid lol.

Average home size and price in the UK is ~800 square feet & ~$400K. Average home in the US is 2,200 sq ft and $500K.

$400,000 / 800 = $500 per square foot (UK). $500,000 / 2,200 = $227 per sq ft (US)

$500 / $227 = 2.2x more square footage per dollar in the US vs the UK.

But that's not all: Median net household income in the UK: ~$30K. Median net household income in the US: $75K (2.5x that of the UK). You get more square footage per dollar in the US, and American households have more net income to put towards homes.

The typical houses aren't as big as the ones you see in John Hughes films, but, yes, Americans can afford bigger homes compared to the UK.

AJUMP23

Average home size and price in the UK is ~800 square feet & ~$400K. Average home in the US is 2,200 sq ft and $500K.

$400,000 / 800 = $500 per square foot (UK). $500,000 / 2,200 = $227 per sq ft (US)

$500 / $227 = 2.2x more square footage per dollar in the US vs the UK.

But that's not all: Median net household income in the UK: ~$30K. Median net household income in the US: $75K (2.5x that of the UK). You get more square footage per dollar in the US, and American households have more net income to put towards homes.

The typical houses aren't as big as the ones you see in John Hughes films, but, yes, Americans can afford bigger homes compared to the UK.

We don’t live in an island. And there is a vastness to America that people don’t understand.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Jimmy's house wasn't that big in America Pie.
The summer house belongs to Stifler's mom who was rich.
Home Alone the father was a Day Trader and the mother was a fashion designer, they wasn't middle class.

Xdrive05

I have 4000 sq. ft. and I'm lower middle class. It's called having great credit and getting a fixed mortgage when the interest rates are low enough to allow you to lock in around 2%. So, hard work, responsibility and a generous dash of luck doesn't hurt.

My wife's Home Alone headcanon is that Mr. McAllister is mobbed up with Chicago organized crime, maybe like Jason Bateman's character in Ozark or something.

Cyberpunkd

I right?
There are Hollywood folk imagination of the American middle class which probably held true till the end of 1990s.

Where is that graphic showing single woman paying less in taxes than a family of four?

jason10mm

Gold Member
I thought it was canon.
I've never seen anything that really directly references MWC on MF, like another actor popping up for a cameo. But the Jay backstory (other than his now wealth) maps to it pretty well. Didn't think Shelly Long was particularly channeling Peg either, maybe just a bit. If they could have gotten Katy Segal for that role though.....particularly had her looking like she did on Sons of Anarchy....that would have been GREAT!

Top Bottom