• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An Italian man spent two days lost in New York City after finishing the marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.
A man from Italy spent two days lost in New York City after finishing the marathon on Sunday before he was eventually found riding the subway confused, dehydrated, and still in his running gear.

Gianclaudio P. Marengo, who speaks only Italian, was separated from his group after he crossed the finish line in Central Park on Sunday, police said.

When members of his fellow running group — all Italians visiting the city from the San Patrignano drug rehabilitation center on the Adriatic coast — failed to locate him after the 26.2-mile race on Sunday afternoon, they called their country’s consulate in the city, which in turn called the police.

In a statement, staff at the rehabilitation center denied Marengo, 30, was suffering from mental health problems or had been on medication when he disappeared.

The runners had been staying in a Queens hotel, but clinic staff said that during the race Marengo had lost a note he had been carrying detailing how to catch the subway back to their accommodation.

After eating a slice of pizza, he spent the night sleeping on the streets, then travelled by train on Monday to John F. Kennedy International Airport to try to meet his fellow runners who were due to fly back to Italy.

“He stayed at the airport and waited,” Antonio Boschini, the group’s medic, told the New York Times. “But they thought he looked homeless so they kicked him out.”

Lost, confused, and unable to communicate with anyone around him, Marengo returned to Manhattan and spent a second night sleeping on the streets, still dressed in his running apparel.

There is more here:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/a...ing-the?bftw&utm_term=.gna1g1lWya#.kep4q4yv9g

That must have been pretty damn scary. I would be freaking out if that happened to me.

EDIT: People Magazine is claiming that he had a mental illness:

A mentally disabled Italian runner who went missing after crossing the finish line of the New York City Marathon on Sunday has been found alive, an NYPD spokesman confirms to PEOPLE.

http://www.people.com/article/new-york-city-marathon-runner-giancarlo-marengo-is-missing

I am not sure who is right.

If that happened to me I would have asked for help to some gaffers. Then my body would have been found cut to pieces and thrown in the junk.

Kathian

Banned
This sounds utterly awful. They should have tried to get him a translator - its an airport! Why did they think he was there?

Palmer_v1

Yeah, couldn't even get someone to let him borrow a smart phone long enough to get it to translate something?

Does italian share enough similarities to spanish to get a very basic message across to someone hispanic?

I'm guessing the JFK security frightened him enough that he wasn't willing to approach law enforcement after that?

Such a surreal story. It sounds like a movie plot. Maybe he met some manic pixie dream girl at that coffee shop who also happened to lock eyes with him during the race the day before.

I thought a majority of EU citizens learn English as a second language?

No? Some do, mostly Benelux and major cities in Scandinavia and Germany would have many English speakers (not a majority). Mediterranean countries would have very few English speakers outside of tourist areas.

entremet

Guys, he has mental illness.

In a statement, staff at the rehabilitation center denied Marengo, 30, was suffering from mental health problems or had been on medication when he disappeared.

This explains the lack of rationality with his decisions.

Keasar

I know here in Sweden we have some really hardcore focus on English classes, it is basically as important to learn as Swedish.

My experience travelling in southern Europe though is that it is not as high priority there.

Says they denied he had any mental health problems or was on medication when he disappeared.

entremet

I know here in Sweden we have some really hardcore focus on English classes, it is basically as important to learn as Swedish.

My experience travelling in southern Europe though is that it is not as high priority there.

Says they denied he had any mental health problems or was on medication when he disappeared.

They DENIED he was suffering from any mental illness, etc.

Someone is wrong then (But here it says mental disabilities, so I was wrong), but it can explain his problems:

A mentally disabled Italian runner who went missing after crossing the finish line of the New York City Marathon on Sunday has been found alive, an NYPD spokesman confirms to PEOPLE.

Gianclaudio P. Marengo, 30, was located wandering around lower Manhattan on early Tuesday morning. He is in good condition, the spokesman says.

Marengo had last been seen in Central Park at about 3 p.m. Sunday. He was wearing bib no. 23781.

http://www.people.com/article/new-york-city-marathon-runner-giancarlo-marengo-is-missing

I read this story earlier.

Strange story. How does a grown man not know the name of his hotel? Or have a phone number to call? Or find a map, go to a point you recognize and then return to your hotel?

entremet

Strange story. How does a grown man not know the name of his hotel? Or have a phone number to call? Or find a map, go to a point you recognize and then return to your hotel?

According to another outlet, linked above, it appears he has mental disabilities.

andycapps

At least he got a slice of good pizza for a change.

But seriously, that's really sad. I can't imagine what being lost in NYC would be like with mental problems and not speaking English.

Alx

The first sentence sounded familiar...
barney-himym-marathon-676x370.jpg

Poor guy though. It's sad that he couldn't get help from anybody in two days.

Pila

English is mandatory in italian schools (any school) but it's kind of a recent thing. Plenty of people here don't speak English at all and can't hold a simple conversation.

Story is funny ^^ poor dude.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No? Some do, mostly Benelux and major cities in Scandinavia and Germany would have many English speakers (not a majority).

A majority of Swedes (and Scandinavians in general) definitely speak English, it's not just people in the larger cities. When I was in school (in a small city/town) we started learning it in fourth grade (I already knew a lot before that though, thanks to games and such), and I think they start even earlier these days. Only the oldest people know little to no English.

I know it's not generally on this level in southern Europe though.

A majority of Swedes (and Scandinavians in general) definitely speak English, it's not just people in the larger cities. When I was in school (in a small city/town) we started learning it in fourth grade (I already knew a lot before that though, thanks to games and such), and I think they start even earlier these days. Only the oldest people know little to no English.

I know it's not generally on this level in southern Europe though.

Yeah sorry I worded that wrong, it was meant to be major cities in Germany and majority in Scandinavia. English is my mother tongue and I can't even speak it apparently.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire

i was about to say

if you ask enough people, specially in Manhattan you WILL get help in less then an hour.

contrary to the old saying, people in NYC help tourist, i can personally say i've helped 3 people how didnt speak or barely speaks any English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom