• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And the TNA Wrestling license goes to.............

DMczaf

http://sports.ign.com/articles/661/661349p1.html

midway_logo.gif

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
If Electronic Arts had gotten the license, would that have meant Aki might have been the developer? If so, :(

That's beyond pathetic. Why did EA buy AKI if they're going to waste them on Def Jam games and not actual wrestling? Wrestling may not be as big as it once was, but that's no excuse to just waste a golden opportunity to use real wrestlers.

koam

ratcliffja said:
That's beyond pathetic. Why did EA buy AKI if they're going to waste them on Def Jam games and not actual wrestling? Wrestling may not be as big as it once was, but that's no excuse to just waste a golden opportunity to use real wrestlers.

EA bought Aki? That's news to me.

Zep

Banned
Im wondering why EA still has AKI if they're not making the Def Jam games anymore. EA Chicago is now doing the game.

Did AKI ever actually make a Def Jam game? I thought EA Canada just used their engine and EA just had exclusive rights to use it.

Anyway, I'm tempted to say TNA + Midway = Who cares? but, I'll wait until I hear impressions of the gameplay at least. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Whatever happened to the rumored real wrestling game EA was making?

Oni Link 666 said:
Did AKI ever actually make a Def Jam game? I thought EA Canada just used their engine and EA just had exclusive rights to use it.

Anyway, I'm tempted to say TNA + Midway = Who cares? but, I'll wait until I hear impressions of the gameplay at least. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Whatever happened to the rumored real wrestling game EA was making?

EA is waiting for the WWE license (WWE is suing THQ and JAKK to get out of its long term agreement)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Hey, it could be worse. The TNA license could have gone to a company that would have given the game the Backyard Wrestling engine.

Speevy said:
Everyone who's been fired or has quit the WWE over the past 10 years.

:lol

To answer Ganondorf>Link's question, TNA Wrestling is the closest thing that the WWE has to competition at the moment. Most of the familar wrestlers are guys that were let go of by the WWE or quit like Jeff Hardy, Rhyno, The Dudley Boys (Now "Team 3D"), Jeff Jarret etc. The show is on every Saturday night at 11pm on Spike TV, but I think they are going to move the show to Thursday nights pretty soon.

Mr Gump

Banned
Fuck just give me an AKI wrestling game.

Why is WWE suing to get out if its contract? Whatever the case i hope they win.

I'm curious to see who and how they'll handle that franchise.

As for EA, some people forgot about their last attempt at a wrestling franchise...

610285.jpg

610287.jpg

...but I guess AKI could always save it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
To further the description of TNA:

It uses a 6 sided, hexagonal ring, like the ones used in mexico. Thus, the ring is bigger, and high-flying action is much easier to deliver

Though there are a lot of recognizeable faces in the TNA heavyweight division, the real meat of TNA is the X Division. Pretty much all of the guys in the X Division are unknowns. I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, of the guys in the X Division weight between 220 and 250 lbs. But the X Division is not like a cruiserweight division. While there are high flying spotfests, the X Division consists primarly of fast-paced technical wrestling with unique moves. Basically, rather than the airborn spotfests the cruiserweight divisions of WCW and WWF/WWE consist of, the X Division combines in-ring agility with technical wrestling for an all around package that delivers total nonstop action (pun intended). An example of a guy who would probably fit in with the X Division from WWE would be, say, Shelton Benjamin or Kurt Angle. Maybe even Chris Benoit.

I

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Mr Gump said:

I think it was more about THQ and Jakk's not giving WWE their fair share of the profits from sales.

Jerkface

Banned
evil ways said:
Bummer, but as long as there are Mortal Kombat characters hidden in the game.

I would expect to see some wrestlers dressed as Mortal Kombat characters for a PPV or something as a bit of publicity. TNA definitely seems like that kinda promotion!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
evil ways said:
Bummer, but as long as there are Mortal Kombat characters hidden in the game.

Since they have Lawrence Taylor on Blitz, maybe he can be in the TNA game.

Link316

Banned
Mr Gump said:

yes, don't need a license as long as the CAW is good

Mr Gump said:

they claim Jakks/THQ bribed their agent to win the WWE license

bumpkin

Link316 said:
yes, don't need a license as long as the CAW is good

they claim Jakks/THQ bribed their agent to win the WWE license
Sounds to me like the WWE just trying to infuse their business practices with the sort of drama their broadcasts have.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
What is wrong with you people?

EA DID NOT PURCHASE AKI. They're free to work with whichever publisher they choose. Which means we could see an AKI-developed TNA game from Midway if that's the way the chips fall - and given Midway's recent efforts in upping the quality of their releases, a collaboration between the two isn't far-fetched.

I just wonder if Midway will handle this one internally or grab someone outside of the company to develop it. I just hope a good developer gets ahold of it. I'm a huge TNA fan and have been a street team member since its inception.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
bishoptl said:

EA DID NOT PURCHASE AKI. They're free to work with whichever publisher they choose. Which means we could see an AKI-developed TNA game from Midway if that's the way the chips fall - and given Midway's recent efforts in upping the quality of their releases, a collaboration between the two isn't far-fetched.

This is what I was going to say. Since Aki isn't working on the next Def Jam, it would seem they're available. Well, unless EA has shoe-horned them into another project that is.

As far as the topic goes, while I'd still much rather see an Aki-developed Pride or UFC game, TNA wouldn't be too bad.

Triumph

Banned
bishoptl said:

I was thinking along the same lines. Midway has been pretty quality for at least the past year, so I'm actually pretty optimistic about the game, whether AKI ends up doing it or not. Just give me a good CAW and a shit ton of slots and Shit Nozzle Jim will be making his TNA debut with the rest of the pWo.

Fatalah

AKI is a roamer. I could imagine, TNA being a smaller company than the WWE, that they may have someone smart enough to mention AKI to Midway.

Someone pull out the sales figures for the N64 WWE games, and compare them to XBOX/GC combined.

AKI + next gen hardware + TNA = fun.

Edit--- wow, didn't realize there was news on this game since 2003!

http://www.gamestats.com/objects/608/608258/1

Top Bottom