• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime from the 2000s

Anime from the 2000s are not full-on "retro anime", but not contemporary anime either.
Does anyone know a cool sounding way of describing this time frame?
Pre-HD? Early digital? OG Adult swim?

ZE9eetV.jpg

I love Hellsing (2001). Sure it's got some bad episodes, but the good moments are really enjoyable.

bYb6qvu.jpg

iDMOMR0.jpg

Big O made me watch adult swim almost every night during its initial run.*
Season 1 (1999) had analog production and holds up nicely, even today.
Season 2 (2003) had primitive digital production and some episodes look like dogshit IMHO.

*CORRECTION: it turns out my memory got confused with watching late night Toonami back in April ~ July of 2001.
Adult Swim did not exist yet.

42piVBR.jpg

It occured to me only recently, that R. Dorothy Wayneright may have been Sunrise's attempt at replicating the success of Ayanami Rei.
Come to think of it, majority of anime in Japan were affected by Evangelion in one way or another, during late 1990s ~ early 2000s.

YZ8dJxG.jpg

This girl wrote the entire show. (That means metaphorically she is ....Yatate Hajime?)

OPINION: I am talking out of my ass here. I think the whole point of Big O can be described as 2 ideas:

(TLDR: I think Big O is a commentary about the metaphysical relationship between fictional characters and their author; 1. how the author is imbuing them with their existence, & 2. how some characters can convince the author to change her mind.)

Idea 1:
Characters from a fictional story are not real entities.
They do not have an actual past in reality.
So they have no memory of the past, until the author writes one for them.

In this story, all of the characters start with no memory.
That lack of memory is an incident happening within the story, and also a metaphysical construct for interacting with outside of the story;
their memory starts existing (& gets expanded upon) only when the author adds it to the story.
e.g. newly introduced flashback sequence that was not shown in previous episodes.

That's why the characters keep getting new memories of the past, suddenly out of nowhere.
Information about the past becomes part of their memory when the author writes it into the story.
A9YucQ8.jpg

Idea 2:
About the characters from a fictional story, are they destined to exist only as puppets (mechanical androids / quasi-androids / bio-androids in a fictional universe) that are controlled by the writer ?

Is it possible for those characters to exercise free will, protest against, or/and negotiate with the writer of that story?
The writer wants the story to go down a certain path and to guide the characters to go along with it,
but what if there is a character who refuses to follow that path?
e.g. Roger refuses to merge with Big O, even when his situation was forcing him to do so.
e.g. Roger prioritizes Dorothy over Angel on more than one occasion.

Angel Rosewater is the writer of this story.
And she adds herself into the story, as a super spy who even looks pretty.

Roger Smith, a character within this story, negotiates with the writer of this story and convinces her to tell the story of Paradigm City again,
because everything will come to an end for its inhabitants if the writer decides to terminate the story.
yUndUjg.jpg

tvDZydU.jpg

"My name is Roger Smith. I perform a much-needed job here, in the city of amnesia."

The story did not end.
Instead, it was put on a repeat cycle, going back to chapter 1.
This is by no means perfect, but the characters can continue their existence this way.

If season 3 of Big O ever does get made,
it will have to provide a solution that allows fictional characters to secure their existence, and allows them to no longer rely on the author of the story.

Last edited:

fsSKoOf.jpg

If someone asked me what are the top 5 prettiest looking anime of all time, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust (2000 in U.S.) would be on my list.
And I am bummed out this anime failed at the box office.

vpFZ11c.jpg

I imagine Highlander (2007) anime could have looked as good as Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, if it had used analog production. But it went digital, during a time when most studios did not know how to make digital anime look good.

Can someone please talk about Naruto?
I have no clue what happened after Sasuke went away with Orochimaru, so I know pretty much nothing.

Is there a difference between OG Toonami and OG Adult Swim?
Yeah. Back in the 2000s, Adult swim was late night only.

Toonami was the late afternoon ~ early evening program (after school special) that was run every weekday.
It also ran on Saturday evenings.
That was pretty much how it was in 1997 & earlier half of 1998.

The schedule for extra hours of Toonami (not the after school special) was moved around every few months,
Saturday evening became Saturday afternoon, then Saturday late night, then Saturday morning.
Holidays had their own schedules. And at one point, 1 hour of anime was added to weekday late nights.

It's a big fucking mess if you try to keep track of the changes.

I never really sat down to watch Toonami during the 2000s, except for the 1 hour of anime on weekday late nights.
All I remember about daytime Toonami is flipping through the channels and noticing re-runs of Namek episodes with pre-transformation Frieza that went on forever. It really felt like it was stuck.

Last edited:

G7iR2Be.jpg

I am counting Trigun (1998) as anime of both the 1990s & the 2000s, because: its DVD was released outside of Japan in 2000, and Adult Swim started running it in 2003.
That means most people who watched Trigun outside of Japan waited until the years 2000 ~ 2003.

Fxcgbvw.gif

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Yeah. Back in the 2000s, Adult swim was late night only.

Toonami was the late afternoon ~ early evening program (after school special) that was run every weekday.
It also ran on Saturday evenings.
That was pretty much 1997, 1998.

The extra hours of Toonami (not the after school special) was changed every few months,
Saturday evening became Saturday afternoon, then Saturday late night, then Saturday morning.
Holidays had their own schedules. And at one point, 1 hour anime was added to weekday late nights.

It's a big fucking mess if you try to keep track of the changes.

I never really sat down to watch Toonami during the 2000s, except for the weekday late night anime.
All I remember about daytime Toonami is flipping through the channels and noticing re-runs of Namek episodes with pre-transformation Frieza that went on forever. It really felt like it was stuck.
Toonami also had the midnight run, which had "uncensored" episodes of Gundam Wing and Dragon Ball Z. Just a bit more swearing. They could called Deathscythe Hell, Deathscythe Hell.

Labolas

If we're strictly talking about anime in the early 2000s than ROD TV would be my personal favorite. To me, it's better than the OVA which was already pretty damn great in its own right. One of the best series JC staff produced.

read-or-die-anime.gif
PaltryRightGypsymoth-max-1mb.gif

nenene-sumiregawa-dead-man.gif

Stuff like Big O, Wolf's Rain, Witch Hunter Robin, Blue Gender all got some notoriety over here in the west.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Boom period anime is what I call it. Early to mid 2000's is when anime really took off to be more mainstream. I can recall going into Suncoast video in the mall in the 90's and they'd have just a few shelves of anime. As the early 2000's came a long those few shelves turned into a whole wall. It was cool to see it grow in real time back then. Fueled by the growth of dvd and exposure from cartoon network is what I attribute it to.

A few favorites from the time period that spring to mind.

Last edited:
Some of my favorite anime in 2000s

Welcome To The N.H.K.
Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex
Last Exile
Paranoia Agent
Ergo Proxy
Mushi-Shi
Samurai Champloo
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Monster
Fate/Stay Night
Eureka Seven
Full Metal Panic!
Bakemonogatari
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) / Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (2009)
Blood+
Scrapped Princess
Kino’s Journey -Travels The Beautiful World
Soul Eater
My-Hime
Trigun
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Simoun
BECK Mongolion Chop Squad
Boogiepop Phantom
Gilgamesh
Rahxephon

Last edited:
Boom period anime is what I call it. Early to mid 2000's is when anime really took off to be more mainstream. I can recall going into Suncoast video in the mall in the 90's and they'd have just a few shelves of anime. As the early 2000's came a long those few shelves turned into a whole wall. It was cool to see it grow in real time back then. Fueled by the growth of dvd and exposure from cartoon network is what I attribute it to.

A few favorites from the time period that spring to mind.

Yeah early 2000s is when i started getting into anime. When I graduated Highschool, and staying at my parents house still. I was flipping through channels and I saw a anime movie on called Princess Mononoke. It was still the beginning but 7 missed I think a good 20 to 30 mins of the movie. I decided to watch it and I absolutely loved it. It was English dubbed, violent, had beautiful animation, etc. Got me hooked. When I went to college that fall I saved up money to buy the first season of Robotech on DVD. Watched it and loved it. I found out more about pirating and that I can steam or download these anime. That's what I started doing. So turned into a lifelong weeb lol

Those are some great choices you posted

If we're strictly talking about anime in the early 2000s than ROD TV would be my personal favorite. To me, it's better than the OVA which was already pretty damn great in its own right. One of the best series JC staff produced.

read-or-die-anime.gif
PaltryRightGypsymoth-max-1mb.gif

nenene-sumiregawa-dead-man.gif

Stuff like Big O, Wolf's Rain, Witch Hunter Robin, Blue Gender all got some notoriety over here in the west.

Love Witch Hunter Robin. Still one of my favorites

G7iR2Be.jpg

I am counting Trigun (1998) as anime of both the 1990s & the 2000s, because: its DVD was released outside of Japan in 2000, and Adult Swim started running it in 2003.
That means most people who watched Trigun outside of Japan waited until the years 2000 ~ 2003.

Fxcgbvw.gif

Adult Swim is what I saw Trigun. One of my all time favorites. Got me to read the manga. I know the author went back and finished the manga story due to how popular it is in the west. I was able to read the full story but I prefer the anime. I'm not sure how the new anime is since I'm turned off by the CGI 3D Animation look

Vampire hunter D Bloodlust still looks like one of the best anime IMO. But I havent seen a lot of new stuff.

One of my top tier. Love that last scene especially

Adult Swim is what I saw Trigun. One of my all time favorites. Got me to read the manga. I know the author went back and finished the manga story due to how popular it is in the west.
This a healthy outcome. I just wish the follow-up episodes were as well-made as the initial offerings, for there is often a noticeable drop in inspiration and drive, regrettably.

I remember season 2 of Big O getting bankrolled in a similar manner.

Last edited:

Strider311

It’s so damn good.

fsSKoOf.jpg

If someone asked me what are the top 5 prettiest looking anime of all time, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust (2000 in U.S.) would be on my list.
And I am bummed out this anime failed at the box office.

vpFZ11c.jpg

I imagine Highlander (2007) anime could have looked as good as Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, if it had used analog production. But it went digital, during a time when most studios did not know how to make digital anime look good.

IJFfds3.jpg

7yUoaKg.jpg

Basilisk (2005) is absolutely awesome.
But at the time I could not appreciate it properly, being convinced that all the talking and scheming were irrelevant and boring. Back then I just wanted to see more of the bloodstained ninja action, and I completely failed to grasp that the fights to the deaths were more about the tragedy that befell these characters, and less about who wins and who loses.

MEndf08.jpg

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member

G7iR2Be.jpg

Fxcgbvw.gif

One of the all time greats.

Top Bottom