• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 version of Sniper Contracts 2 delayed due to technical issues (featuring 3D audio derail).

SLB1904

Banned
Stop with the hyperbole, Resident Evil 8 uses "3D Audio" and sounds no different 🤔 your fanboy mentality is clouding your judgement my friend.
I dont know l. I didnt play re8. So how fanboy mentality got to do with it.
Is like saying the haptick feedback on re8 is the standard for ps5(I heard isnt has great) but when I finally play it I'll I'll let u know
If

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
hopefully this wakes Sony up for PS6 BC compatibility, they cant screw up again.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
They didn't screw up, nearly all games run fine on PS5 in BC. Microsoft simply has a better system.
i dont think this had to do with system, most of these games were not even proper next gen games.
Its how they lay down the BC foundation which Microsoft does it better, best example is biomutant runs at 4k60fps and mass effect at 120 fps at lower resolution

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
dj khaled sip GIF by Apple Music

Chukhopops

I'm sure it does but it has no advantage over Series consoles. All next gen consoles have advanced audio, Sony are the only ones advertising it though.
The sound argument always cracks me up considering the PS5 doesn’t support Atmos surround speakers for games. So the argument is that a virtual surround solution like Tempest is somehow better than a true, physical surround (with actual speakers positioned behind you) because Sony magic.

SLB1904

Banned
The sound argument always cracks me up considering the PS5 doesn’t support Atmos surround speakers for games. So the argument is that a virtual surround solution like Tempest is somehow better than a true, physical surround (with actual speakers positioned behind you) because Sony magic.
Ignorant people always cracks up of things they dont understand.

Just stop please, you're embarrassing yourself.

Take your own advice

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
this

MonarchJT

Banned
Do you think I surround system I'd better than headphones?

Lmfao
Someone should tell musicians to stop using headphones.
wut? talk about 3d audio not of speaker quality and frequency response. as a musician I immediately say that headphones are used to isolate oneself during recordings and not for what you think.
albums are masterized using very expensive flat speakers and not headphones. don't talk about things you don't know or you'll end up looking bad.

Last edited:

skit_data

Lmfao
Musicians rarely want sound placed out in 3D space in the same way a movie or a game wants it. They often use panning and psychoacoustic tricks since it’s supposed to be played on a stereo setup. Actual surround sound music is pretty rare.

On the topic of wether Tempest is better than Atmos: It’s probably better in the sense that once its available for headphones, soundbars and surround systems (the 3D surround sound is not yet available for the latter two, it’s still undergoing testing so if you’re not using headphones it will be no different than it was on PS4 if i understand it correctly) it will be better for developers to be able to use an in house solution instead of paying license fees.

That’s what very good about it. I don’t think it will sound superior to Atmos, but it will hopefully be more widely adopted.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
… and that particular argument is wrong. ATMOS surround sound speakers solution, which is not Tempest 3D audio’s competitor by Dolby for headphones, tries to add more height information to the soundstage with the additional speakers, but it cannot make assumptions about the listener and where they are located exactly nor about how their ears are structured (which is why companies would go and create audio profiles and then try to make configuration tools to allow you to find your closest match).

Headphones can make a great assumptions on how the sound will hit your ears, which should be obvious, and while the quality of the speakers might mean less pristine and loud sounds the sense of presence has a chance to be a lot higher. You can find binaural audio demos with shitty headphones that feel super immersive and there is many years of applied research on the topic and many companies are now jumping on that bandwagon (see Apple and their Spatial Audio tech).

Why did Sony go ahead with their solution and what is good about it? Possibly even just a Dolby patents unencumbered codec they could give away for free to PS5 devs would be a reason to go for it, easier adoption by devs and users: it requires no extra licensing for devs, not extra licensing costs for Sony, and only cheap headphones for users… on top of that they gave devs a very powerful audio chip that is fully programmable and can be used as an additional general purpose compute resource too if needed (and adapted to improvements in the audio codecs supported too).

jakinov

Just because it's technical issues doesn't mean that there was a problem with the platform. The PS5 version can simply have technical issues because the devs made a mistake somewhere. Considering so many games are able to run/work fine so far it's likely the devs messed up somewhere.

Dr Bass

wut? talk about 3d audio not of speaker quality and frequency response. as a musician I immediately say that headphones are used to isolate oneself during recordings and not for what you think.
albums are masterized using very expensive flat speakers and not headphones. don't talk about things you don't know or you'll end up looking bad.
You say you’re a musician then say music gets “masterized” which is not a word.

Also the PS5 does real separated channels. Just because they aren’t paying Dolby a license fee doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. Positional audio in returnal and demons souls are awesome. Also the pulse 3D headphones aren’t anywhere near a good surround setup. Was a bit let down by those headphones.

MonarchJT

Banned
You say you’re a musician then say music gets “masterized” which is not a word.

Also the PS5 does real separated channels. Just because they aren’t paying Dolby a license fee doesn’t mean it doesn’t work. Positional audio in returnal and demons souls are awesome. Also the pulse 3D headphones aren’t anywhere near a good surround setup. Was a bit let down by those headphones.
i am (also) a musician... and I translating a term from my language now I'll try to translate it better.
audio "mastering" ..is done in recording studios on specials (and expansive) flat speakers ...not headphones which are used to increase isolation in recording or mastering and not to "hear better"
Tempest audio do really nothing that Xbox can't do aside from having a cool name

Last edited:

Redlight

That simply describes 3D audio. It, in no way, suggests that 'Tempest' is better than other 3D audio solutions.

Series X has three options, Windows Sonic, which is completely free, Dolby Atmos or DTS Headphone: X.
Those companies might know a thing or two about audio, don't you think?

Chukhopops

Lmfao
Lol you really talk about things you don’t understand.

Musicians do not care about positional audio since music is recorded and played in stereo. A physical surround system with speakers behind you will be better at creating spatial audio than headphones using virtual surround to produce a stereo sound.

But I feel like it’s pointless to argue that considering the level of your posts.

Redlight

… and that particular argument is wrong. ATMOS surround sound speakers solution, which is not Tempest 3D audio’s competitor by Dolby for headphones, tries to add more height information to the soundstage with the additional speakers, but it cannot make assumptions about the listener and where they are located exactly nor about how their ears are structured (which is why companies would go and create audio profiles and then try to make configuration tools to allow you to find your closest match).

Headphones can make a great assumptions on how the sound will hit your ears, which should be obvious, and while the quality of the speakers might mean less pristine and loud sounds the sense of presence has a chance to be a lot higher. You can find binaural audio demos with shitty headphones that feel super immersive and there is many years of applied research on the topic and many companies are now jumping on that bandwagon (see Apple and their Spatial Audio tech).

Why did Sony go ahead with their solution and what is good about it? Possibly even just a Dolby patents unencumbered codec they could give away for free to PS5 devs would be a reason to go for it, easier adoption by devs and users: it requires no extra licensing for devs, not extra licensing costs for Sony, and only cheap headphones for users… on top of that they gave devs a very powerful audio chip that is fully programmable and can be used as an additional general purpose compute resource too if needed (and adapted to improvements in the audio codecs supported too).
There is no magic in 3D audio, Tempest, Dolby, DTS X. No solution I've ever tried comes close to creating the open sound field that a good surround sound system will give you. 3D audio is a clever attempt to mimic surround but it's a poor substitute for a real system.

If you don't have access to a surround system then this maybe a good workaround, but that's all it is.

assurdum

Banned
Just to understand what's exactly the point of this thread? We are trying to argue now is problematic to develop on ps5? What another technical issue should means? I'm curious.

assurdum

Banned
Wow.... just wow 👏. Gaf you never fail to bring the entertainment. All the OP wanted to talk about was "technical issues" present in the development of Sniper Ghost. Instead it's turned into a war about audio! I blame Negotiator101 Negotiator101 for starting it but the rest of you should be blamed for perpetuating it.

Carry on.
Mmm really? Because looking at the post history of the OP doubt he has any kinda of interest about technical issue on ps5 but call me malicious 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Redlight

Wow.... just wow 👏. Gaf you never fail to bring the entertainment. All the OP wanted to talk about was "technical issues" present in the development of Sniper Ghost. Instead it's turned into a war about audio! I blame Negotiator101 Negotiator101 for starting it but the rest of you should be blamed for perpetuating it.

Carry on.
It's a fair point. :)

I'd only take issue with where you're placing the blame. SLB1904 SLB1904 has been making some extraordinarily stupid claims that have fired everyone up. Probably time to move on though.

NEbeast

What is with all the xbox fans down playing 3d audio in a thread that has nothing to do with that? Anyone who is "concerned" about audio/games being delayed should look at what games have released for both consoles .

Top Bottom