• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any advice for a first-time visitor to Japan?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I don’t know about it. We went to Japan before I started learning Japanese and we found that in Tokyo, you can get by easily. Outside of Tokyo is a different story.

Edit: But we did learn the basics - ohaiyou, sumimasen, arigatou, etc.

I was definately surprised in Tokyo how people didnt know English. At museums and the info booth in teh subways it was ok. Restaurants I found to be the opposite. Also its just how they treat you. Not rude but no desire to help you in English which is fine, just different than travelling in other places like Europe etc.

Luckily I knew a handful of phrases already which helped. Going to Kyoto after that was surprising as many more people knew English as I guess its a bit more reliant on foreign tourists.

A friend of mine went to Japan once. He went off exploring by himself and got completely lost. He ended up finding a local police station in a small town. He went in there and asked if anyone spoke English. The man in charge said 'yes, you' and slammed the door in his face.

I don't know what use this story is to anyone, it just always made me laugh.

Bluntman

Is it true that Japan has like pubs or whatever dedicated to local girls hitting on westerners? Or is that some urban legend? 😅

Porcile

Is it true that Japan has like pubs or whatever dedicated to local girls hitting on westerners? Or is that some urban legend? 😅

Reverse and that and maybe true? Also you gotta remember the super hot Japanese people, like ones who look like they could be TV stars or celebs or whatever, don't go anywhere near foreigners even if you speak Japanese.

nush

It was true, we have/had a poster here who was bemoaning he could not use those bars anymore because the girls all moved onto the dating apps.

Protip: Any bar is a hitting on westerners bar, if you're the only westerner in it. You don't need the additional competition.

Tams

The Hub.

If you like 'gals' (ガール) with too much make-up on and colour contacts that make their eyes look like saucers, being used and STDs, then knock yourself out at one. There are several in Tokyo and one in Osaka.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Uhm, I thought Japan is still restricted? ie you can go, but only as part of a government-sponsored "tour". ie you can't do anything or go anywhere that you want to by yourself.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I was definately surprised in Tokyo how people didnt know English. At museums and the info booth in teh subways it was ok. Restaurants I found to be the opposite. Also its just how they treat you. Not rude but no desire to help you in English which is fine, just different than travelling in other places like Europe etc.

Luckily I knew a handful of phrases already which helped. Going to Kyoto after that was surprising as many more people knew English as I guess its a bit more reliant on foreign tourists.

For restaurants I think it is okay if you stay near popular area like train station or tourist attraction, most of restaurants I went to have photo for every menu because they are used to having tourist. The chance is if the restaurants has a yelp review, it is probably foreigner friendly.

For subways I was really surprised at how good google map was at telling you where to get off, and which gate to go; that only applies to subways though, I nearly got lost using their bus direction.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
How many days is recommended to be in Japan... 2 weeks is enough?

And how much money is good to be able to be without problems?

How many days is recommended to be in Japan... 2 weeks is enough?

And how much money is good to be able to be without problems?
It depends. Most people who go for two weeks do the usual Kyoto-Osaka-Tokyo thing and don’t really see much as a result.

I’ve spent years going back and forth to Tokyo and I’ve seen like 1% of it. It is a proper megacity.

If pushed, I’d do a week in Kyoto and a week in Tokyo. Maybe Kobe for a day in between, that’s a tiny but lovely city.

You can spend as much as you want. I am of middling wealth and I would budget around 10,000 yen a day.

The Tokyo subway is way more expensive than it is in a comparable western city, btw. It always shocks me how much I spend on that thing.

Last edited:

Durien

Don't be loud.
Be respectful. Bow if someone helps you.

Thank you: arigatou gozaimasu
Excuse me: sumimasen
You're welcome: douitashimashite

In Tokyo, you can get by not knowing a whole lot of Japanese. The further out you go though, the less likely the older generation will be able to speak English unless it is a touristy place.

Sake (rice wine) creeps up on you. Also the prices of sake are awesome in Japan! Here you pay $40 for a decent bottle. There, you can buy the same bottle for like 1/2 the price and, right now, the USD to Yen is awesome (assuming you are coming from the US)

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The police there love it when big, tall Europeans and Americans treat the city like their own and all loud and stuff. Especially on the train. They love it.

On a serious note, I only know this from second hand reports from a friend: the average convenience store there puts many of our smaller (US) restaurants to shame when it comes to fast street food type takeaway - so don't be afraid to pop in. I heard even their machines that microwave great big hamburgers can be decent to good. And get on foodie communities on social media, find people who actually live there right now, and ask about the best restaurants and hotels in the area. I hear they are very, very rarely the ones that simple Google searches and traditional ratings sites will tell you. The best gems are all hidden away.

nush

On a serious note, I only know this from second hand reports from a friend: the average convenience store there puts many of our smaller (US) restaurants to shame when it comes to fast street food type takeaway - so don't be afraid to pop in.

Can confirm.

Cyberpunkd

I've never seen a gaijin with anyone other than the stereotypical average J-girlfriend who speaks English with a weird ass faux-American accent.
I'm sure she has other qualities.

OP, if she says 'kimochi' and 'sugoi' you are doing a good job.

belmarduk

Don't expect people to know English.

Oh I definitely don't... I should've taken more time to learn Japanese but I've got only a month now.

How do you navigate restaurants? I was going to use google translate but I'm nervous that some won't serve gaijins and throw me out. The food is one of the main reasons I wanted to visit.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Oh I definitely don't... I should've taken more time to learn Japanese but I've got only a month now.

How do you navigate restaurants? I was going to use google translate but I'm nervous that some won't serve gaijins and throw me out. The food is one of the main reasons I wanted to visit.

Na usually menus also have photos so you can figure that out, its not like impossible its just not easy. They wont refuse to serve you but they aren't super welcoming to tourists (just my experience). But its fine, its a huge ass city they don't really need tourists.

belmarduk

If you like Spicy food check out Kikanbo Karashibi Ramen in Kanda and/or Gyonmaru Hyakunincho Tantanmen in Okubo. If you are in Yokohama, there is a great restaurant called Karubi Ramen (also available in Odawara).

You should visit some gardens. Edo Castle is pretty near Akihabara. Shinjuku Gyoen is amazing.

The only decent arcade left in Akihabara afaik is Hirose. Pay close attention to the sad men who have sacrificed their whole lives to be amazing Street Fighter 2 players.

I would strongly advise visiting Enoshima and Kamakura if you want to see historical sites.

Super Potato is the most interesting games shop.

Thanks! I thought Edo Castle was destroyed? I was planning on visiting the grounds of the imperial palace.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Mostly everyone tries to be polite and helpful. There's not much to worry about.

Porcile

I saw a group of tourists get rejected from a popular restaurant once, but they totally misunderstood the situation as the restaurant was fully booked and the restaurant tencho didn't know how to express that nicely to them in English, so they thought were being racisted. Not really though. There are also a FEW high-end restaurants here and there which are like members only restaurants and you will be kicked out no matter who you are. I think Sukiyabashi Jiro became like this recently. Otherwise, the worst that you are going to feel is a bit uncomfortable because their English is so terrible and the restaurant itself doesn't have a good atmosphere even if the food is good.

Most restaurants right now are absolutely starving for business. They need all the customers they can get.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Thanks! I thought Edo Castle was destroyed? I was planning on visiting the grounds of the imperial palace.
My mistake. I have always been under the impression that Edo Castle was the same as the Imperial Palace. They are not. However, the ruins of Edo Castle are on the same property. Great garden there.

Btw, I should add, if you plan on going to the ramen restaurant I suggested- be careful of Sansho peppers (as opposed to Chili peppers), unless you know what you are doing.

belmarduk

make sure you get some of that authentic Japanese cuisine in lad

That looks really good but I was going to try to stick to Japanese food. I had stuff like that when I was in München and much preferred it to German food.... like every block there was a place that served it and each one was better than the last!

Top Bottom