• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any tips on Tactics Ogre Reborn? I just started it.

I’m only 3 hours in.

It seems like a game that’s really going to emphasize actual strategy, since there’s a level cap.

I feel like I can potentially love this game, but nothing has really happened yet. I met some mercenaries, freed the Duke, fought a couple Boss-of-the-Weeks. Been reading all the Warren Reports.

From what I can tell, Clerics are useless?

Also, can I just not use Archers? They don’t seem to do that much damage unless I power up their attack with a skill and/or a card and they can get parried or hit something in the way (I guess that’s part of the strategy I suppose).

Soooo… yeah. Any tips/tricks? Best classes? Etc.

Some complaints, though:

1. The voice direction for this game is terrible. I’m honestly contemplating turning them off. A lot of times it seems like the voice actors were provided with zero context and they sound very unenthused or their voice just doesn’t seem to match their artwork. Catiua in particular is, what, 16? But she sounds like a middle-aged woman.

2. The speed-up option… really? That’s it? Why couldn’t they give an even faster option?

3. I’m not sure if this really counts as a “complaint,” since I’m sure I’m just doing something wrong, but so far my only decent damage-dealers are Denam and Canopus. The rest will do 60-85 damage towards enemies with 300+ HP unless they have a skill activated or picked up a card that enhances their damage somehow.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I played the Vita version of this and if you want the fun classes like Dragons and Griffins and late game optional classes PREPARE to put in the hours.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Tactics Ogre Reborn is a fairly challenging RPG, but its not that hard once you dig its mechanics as there is not that much to them, i mean compared to real strategy games or harder tactical games like Xcom.
- Anyway, what you want to know is that classes upgrade through the story, which means Clerics can become better classes, you can unlock Swordmaster for example which is better than Warrior as it becomes upgraded with great buffing ability and generally good team utility. So keep an eye on new classes you unlock.
- You also want to pay attention to character stories so you can recruit them, while characters you build can be really strong, the ingame built story characters are always better, so for a healer you can come accross a great character later in the story, so make sure to recruit them and you will have a better healer than your own.
- Reborn added buff cards, those are important as they can make you a lot stronger, so always try to build you route on collecting them along the way.
- You should learn positioning benefits, they are really low and not that deep, so for example you can unlock an ability that allows your melee units to attack when the opponent turns their back, this can be pretty useful early in the game as it makes you attack more than once each turn, also you can use high ground to extend range or obstacles to hide from archer.
- You should keep an eye for the blacksmith to improve your items via crafting or buying new gear available, most of them are done in the progression of the story, but in the last chapter which is the biggest one you gain access to side quests that unlock specials items, they are pretty tedious if you ask me.
- Your team should have great variety, if you want a general advice from me its good to keep 1 mage, 2 archers, 2 healer (yes 2, 1 is too low) and the rest is up to you, i prefer 1 knight for tanking, the terror knight is good for fear debuff, 2 decent hitting warriors too, good to have one with a spear for extended range and double attacks. But you need all classes imo, so that you can be versatile. Oh and against monsters have Dragoon great unit for slaying beast and deals massive damage, without it its going to take a long time.
- Before each fight you can scout for enemies and you will notice their build, so you can choose the right units for the fights, its a shame each fight is the same goal though, kill the boss, which can become repetitive, if you dont kill the boss immediately the benefits you gain are more skill points and more items/loot which can be useful but not that much imo.
- Elements are not very important, when i first played it, i was overwhelmed with them, but turns out they are very very simple, for example ice element unit does more damage in ice so its best to use ice spells with it, and they can take more damage from fire, same with water to fire or thunder to water or air to ice..etc etc. So the main point here is just pay attention the type of spells your unit is using so that it matches the element.

As for your complaints.
1- For the first one try to play in the Japanese, i thought the voice acting is pretty good, maybe the main character has the voice of Lelouch.
2- Yes the game is obnoxiously slow and that makes battles long and boring, especially with how many there is of them and how tedious they are.
3- Thats normal, early game Canopus (aka the legend) is easily the best unit, since he can surpass obstacles and flank the enemy and deals good damage, use him wisely, later in the game they become more equal, again with preference to actual story characters over randomly generated ones.

And one final tip, during chapter ending boss fights, make sure you use the chariot, it helps you reset points, you will struggle a bit as they are made to be unfair on purpose, use items to heal and resist, make good strategy or speed run to the boss and kill them before they wipe your party.

Its a good game with a good story so have fun.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Flying characters are great especially with a bow/cross bow(range isn’t always as good as a bow)/hammer duo. I made sure to always have a Healer/Wizard at my disposal. Terror Knights are great to have in your party. I had two, but lost my 2nd one late game. Grab those buff cards, always level to the max cap, keep equipment upgraded, and always have a stock of items before any major battles.

Oh yeah, learn exorcism and keep 1-2 leveled up characters with it equipped.

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
When you're trying to recruit characters in a battle, it helps a lot to get their health very low and get as close as possible before you try. Also, use the rewind feature if they don't come over to your team the first time and ask them from a different position. It can give you extra chances in a turn. Also, you may want to check out the infinite money glitch.

SkylineRKR

Tactics Ogre is fairly easy bar the opening stages. You just need a balanced party and constantly update your gear in the shop. This is the most tedious, you need to do it manually per char. But at some point you will have your main party.

Money usually isn't a huge issue but you can craft Baldur blowguns and sell them for profit. Also, equip skills, this is very important. Like meditate on mages, pincer attack on one or 2 attackers etc. And stock up on heals, MP restore and revives for everyone. These 2 items are kind of all I needed throughout the entire game.

All you need in the beginning is Denam as a warrior with Mighty strike or whatever its called, Canopus with Bow and 1h Axe, a cleric, a Lancer, a Knight and a Mage. Just balance. Also try to recruit enemies, one of my GOATS throughout the majority of the game was a Lizardman who did insane damage as beserker.

Look at the matchup on forehand, if it has undead, make sure your Cleric has Exorcism. Perhaps even field 2 Clerics. If there aren't undead, Exorcism is a waste of a skill slot. Later on you can counter a lot of match ups. For example Dragons and Beasts, if you have a Dragoon with Dragon and Beastslayer, you can pretty much 2 shot them. And don't underestimate status effects, you can Breach and instill Fear on nearly all enemy units. This will render them near useless for a few rounds. Elements aren't that important, but always give the mage the magic of the element he has, so if he is Ice, give him Ice magic only. Mages will come into their own once they get access to multi hit spells, the AI tends to group up a lot and you can do some serious damage this way.

Always be on level, the game dicks you now and then with stronger enemies. You need a training battle or 2 and use the EXP items. If you're on level, the game is never that tough imo.

Oberstein

On the story and build-up aspect, I confess to being a little disappointed.

I had vague memories of it a bunch of years ago, but the game does a poor job of introducing you to the factions, the universe and, in fact, it's a succession of fights against mercenaries punctuated by very small story scenes.

It's at moments like these that some of Triangle Strategy's modern touches can be appreciated. Admittedly, the game is talkative, but at least the build-up around the universe and the characters works better.

In Tactics Reborn, there's virtually no attachment to the characters, they're just NPCs, and Denam is a pretty hollow character. I'm not even talking about Vyce,
an antagonist whose personality changes according to your choices...
There are some nice moments, but they're always too few and poorly delivered. Major historical events are virtually invisible to the player.
Ah, the Galgastan kingdom has fallen... uh OK.
We learn plenty of events from Warren's reports, but it's flat. The funniest part is the enemies who basically say "ahahah, I'm going to kill you" and when he dies "oh no, I was fighting to buy medicine for my sick mother". Seriously, though, am I supposed to be touched by that? XD

Having said all that, there's a certain charm to the whole thing. And this minimalist aspect also has a good side. It's just that nostalgic glasses make people say a lot of stupid things... or they haven't played it. But in that respect, it's really aged. And at times, simpler gameplay titles like Vandal Hearts managed to touch me more.

But still, it's a pleasant game.

SkylineRKR

Tactics Ogre is fairly aged, even compared to FFT. There are only a few classes, and you will use the same few skills throughout the entire game, like Mighty Impact and the charge shot. Later one or 2 finishers per character. However this is also a boon, I like how easy to follow it eventually becomes. You can't really go wrong with skills and gear upgrade is very straightforward (there is only +1), and there aren't really useless classes since there are so few.

You can go out of your way a bit, like capturing Dragons and use them in combo with a beast master, its pretty fun. And Golems with Witch I think.

Archer Canopus and archers. Use and abuse it.

This won't work in Reborn. Archers can't hurt tank units like Knights. Which works both ways, its now easier to clear a group of enemy archer by sending a Tank their way. Archers still have a place, because they can ofcourse lay waste on enemy Archers, Clerics, Mages. Esp, if you have Silence on your bow. I prefer the balance in Reborn. Ranged can't destroy front line fighters anymore.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
I’m only 3 hours in.

It seems like a game that’s really going to emphasize actual strategy, since there’s a level cap.

I feel like I can potentially love this game, but nothing has really happened yet. I met some mercenaries, freed the Duke, fought a couple Boss-of-the-Weeks. Been reading all the Warren Reports.

From what I can tell, Clerics are useless?

Also, can I just not use Archers? They don’t seem to do that much damage unless I power up their attack with a skill and/or a card and they can get parried or hit something in the way (I guess that’s part of the strategy I suppose).

Soooo… yeah. Any tips/tricks? Best classes? Etc.

Some complaints, though:

1. The voice direction for this game is terrible. I’m honestly contemplating turning them off. A lot of times it seems like the voice actors were provided with zero context and they sound very unenthused or their voice just doesn’t seem to match their artwork. Catiua in particular is, what, 16? But she sounds like a middle-aged woman.

2. The speed-up option… really? That’s it? Why couldn’t they give an even faster option?

3. I’m not sure if this really counts as a “complaint,” since I’m sure I’m just doing something wrong, but so far my only decent damage-dealers are Denam and Canopus. The rest will do 60-85 damage towards enemies with 300+ HP unless they have a skill activated or picked up a card that enhances their damage somehow.

Thanks!
This guy lives and breathes Tactics Ogre. Sure to be some help to you.

Top Bottom