• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

any way to "unregister" an item on nintendo.com?

question inspired by some ebay feedback I received...

Fast ship / but wish seller had disclosed Wii game's S/N was already REGISTERED

I'd "unregister" the game if I could, but I don't see any option for that on Nintendo's site. Would also like to know this just in case I happen to sell my Wii (don't plan on it, but it'd be nice to know for future reference)

And I guess as a more generalized question, how do you guys handle this when selling any other system/game? I figured that since it was used, it would be understood that it was probably registered already, but that guy seems slightly annoyed by it...lol

Somnid

The guy is an idiot, you cannot unregister because it would be easy to abuse the system. By buying used he should have assumed that it was registered, there's not much you can do.

When you buy used, you pretty much lose rights to registering the product.

Why the hell would Nintendo give someone benefits (what little there are to be had) for not giving the sale to them?

With ebay sales you have to be carefull what you say about a game, if you stay stuff in your sale like "as new" then I don't blame someone for giving that feedback, though its a shame.

If you used the code why did you put it back in the box on sale?

Joe Molotov

If you're worried about games already being registered, you shouldn't be buying stuff on Ebay in the first place. Although why anyone would be concerned about not being able to register a game on Nintendo.com in the first place, I have no idea. I don't think they're ever going to do anything else with that.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Why not give them the code that came with the game and let them figure out how to register it also? ;)

ok good, I'm not crazy then :lol

I was wondering why he would buy something used and want to register it as if it was new, but I guess I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. I was wondering if there was something obvious I was missing with regards to that.

Diablohead said:
With ebay sales you have to be carefull what you say about a game, if you stay stuff in your sale like "as new" then I don't blame someone for giving that feedback, though its a shame.

If you used the code why did you put it back in the box on sale?

to be honest, I didn't really think it was a big deal, so I just left everything in there, lol. The auction did have the game marked as used though (though the disc worked fine and had no scratches)

*shrug*

Zynx

Actually, if a game company implemented such a feature, and people used it, they could easily get a far better understanding of the secondary market.

As it has a large impact on their revenues, I bet they'd like to know more. (Fat chance on the 'people used it' part, though).

Zynx said:
Actually, if a game company implemented such a feature, and people used it, they could easily get a far better understanding of the secondary market.

Or message boards would be filled with threads full of registration numbers. The only way to stop that would be to not offer anything at all for registering games, in which case no one would bother to register them at all...

Zynx

Great Rumbler said:
Or message boards would be filled with threads full of registration numbers. The only way to stop that would be to not offer anything at all for registering games, in which case no one would bother to register them at all...
No, if you unregistered, you'd lose the reward points...
I guess if you already spent your reward points then you couldn't unregister? Doesn't solve much! Guess it wasn't meant to be for the used game buyers to get the points.

andthebeatgoeson

That's totally retarded. What can you get from Nintendo? They haven't sent me shit. **** that dude, he just wanted to give some negative crap.

fernoca

Pfft..that would be like buying an used game at Gamestop and then returning it because someone already registered it...darn Gamestop..they didn't told me that!!!!!*

*Ironically, all the used-Nintendo games that I got from them...none has been registered...hehehe.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
what's the point of registering anything? we're not in japan.

Call 1-800-255-3700 and go to tech support and speak with a live rep and tell them you want to break your MyNintendo account from your Wii console. It will void the 90 day extension forever, but it means you can sell it and have it tie to other MyNintendo accounts.

You can't unregister individual games, but every registration code for 1 game is the same (IE all Twilight Princess does are the same). You can also ask them to delete your MyNintendo account, and it will sever all registered products.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
A while back i registered kirby canvas curse and got a pink ds stylus which was kind of cool. Any good reasons to register lately?

Top Bottom