• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody try the Super Retro-cade?

dave_d

Just curious. I know the previous one, the Generation, wasn't too good. On the other hand this one has a legal rom of MatMania which is one of my favorite arcade titles from the 80s. As far as I can tell it's just an Android device with a bunch of emulators so those devices can differ greatly in computational power. Anyway if anybody has tried it, especially MatMania, I'd like to hear it.

radewagon

I've read it before. Honestly, I don't see why they don't just lawyer up. They make it seem insurmountable to get treated fairly, but these companies that are making emulation boxes aren't exactly the biggest players on the market.

That said, the emulation boxes offer a lot to the retro community, so I don't think the license holders will be able to count on the community's support. It'll be a tough sell. "Help us so that the products you enjoy are (possibly) no longer on the market," is something that will be a huge conflict of interest for many retro gamers.

gspat

I assume they probably will, and it will have unexpected backlashes.

Or, the producers could simply follow the licenses properly and avoid this all together.

Vitacat

I've read it before. Honestly, I don't see why they don't just lawyer up. They make it seem insurmountable to get treated fairly, but these companies that are making emulation boxes aren't exactly the biggest players on the market.

That said, the emulation boxes offer a lot to the retro community, so I don't think the license holders will be able to count on the community's support. It'll be a tough sell. "Help us so that the products you enjoy are (possibly) no longer on the market," is something that will be a huge conflict of interest for many retro gamers.

Well, if you're right that's a real shame. These "retro boxes" offer nothing that you can't already do using a vast variety of hardware, from PC's to just about anything running Android, for free. And you can do it much, much better, using incredible shaders and emulating systems that are beyond the weak, cheap hardware in those boxes. Not to mention being able to use just about any controller you want.

Arefu

Neo Member
Well, if you're right that's a real shame. These "retro boxes" offer nothing that you can't already do using a vast variety of hardware, from PC's to just about anything running Android, for free. And you can do it much, much better, using incredible shaders and emulating systems that are beyond the weak, cheap hardware in those boxes. Not to mention being able to use just about any controller you want.

Not necessarily. There are quite a few people who won't/can't get a PC. They aren't meant for the hardcore crowd, just people who want to dabble in retro. Quick plug-and-play devices for the TV are very convenient if you don't care much for emulation quality.

dave_d

True, I can totally do that and I do that with my own games.(IE CD games and roms of my own carts that I extracted using my retrode.) However the whole thing is I don't want to get involved with pirated roms so I was hoping this system would let me play arcade games with non pirated roms. Now I'm hearing the roms aren't pirated, the emulators are which makes you just shake your head.

Top Bottom