• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone burnt out by the number of quality game releases?

I'm starting to feel pretty overwhelmed by the number of games I'd like to play. More and more good games keep getting released and, with the limited amount of time I have to play, I can never keep up with all the new releases.

I know that playing games is supposed to be fun, not an obligation, but it's still kind of demoralizing. My backlog just keeps getting bigger and bigger. As a result, I haven't even touched a game in a couple months. I just don't know where to start!

I kinda wish that everyone would just stop releasing new games for, say, 6-12 months while I get caught up on everything that's currently out ;P

WalkMan

Banned
Mainly just that bastard PS2.

Valkyrie Profile 2
Persona 3
Disgaea 2
God of War 2

What I'm doing this week is doing a marathon of all my RPGs and trying to complete them all before school starts again next week. Its the only time I have.

I used to get one good game, play it, complete it, love it.

Why can't I do that anymore? There are more good games out than ever!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm more burnt out by the number of good games i've managed to pick up in clearance sales. i find it easy to pass on an interesting game when it's $50, but at $10 i'll buy anything. when i actually play those clearance acquisitions i'm on the point of hoping they're mediocre, so i can play them for a couple hours, sell them, and strike them off the backlog. :/

Himuro said:
GAF doesn't influence my game tastes, I honestly buy what interests me.

That's pretty much how I feel, as well. Sometimes, like in the case of GRAW and Oblivion, GAF does peak my interest in certain games and I'll buy 'em. In both of those cases, GAF has been outstanding. :D

Greenpanda said:
I'm starting to feel pretty overwhelmed by the number of games I'd like to play. More and more good games keep getting released and, with the limited amount of time I have to play, I can never keep up with all the new releases.

I know that playing games is supposed to be fun, not an obligation, but it's still kind of demoralizing. My backlog just keeps getting bigger and bigger. As a result, I haven't even touched a game in a couple months. I just don't know where to start!

I kinda wish that everyone would just stop releasing new games for, say, 6-12 months while I get caught up on everything that's currently out ;P

Right now I'm sort of overwhelmed about how many good books there are out there that I should have read by now. I just read 1984 and Enders Game, and loved both of them, I'm realizing how many books out there I should have read by now. I haven't even thought about games yet, DAMN YOU! :lol

drohne said:
i'm more burnt out by the number of good games i've managed to pick up in clearance sales. i find it easy to pass on an interesting game when it's $50, but at $10 i'll buy anything. when i actually play those clearance acquisitions i'm on the point of hoping they're mediocre, so i can play them for a couple hours, sell them, and strike them off the backlog. :/

To go along with what you said, I don't consider myself a gaming addict but I'm really starting to believe that I'm an impulsive buyer when it comes to seeing nice gaming deals. If I know a game will disappear from shelves soon and is at a great price, I can't resist even if I have a million other things to do. Except unlike in your case, I don't sell them back. Wallet am cry.

bill0527

robochimp said:
The DS lite has gotten me back into gaming big time. I've purchased 10 games since getting one

QFMFT !!!

My Xbox 360 has been in a game drought for the past couple of months now. I bought a DSLite out of boredom. Turns out I'm so goddamn smart for buying this thing, I think I'll just pat myself on the back. I'm buying like 2 games a day now for it and I've been on this trend for a week now.

demi

I must be on the opposite end, I'm buying a 360 because I have nothing to play. I've played all the "hot titles" that GAF has raved about, and majority of the high rated titles out there.

I look at the main three and I can't even play anything, I find myself picking up old PSX titles to waste time before I get my 360.

ps. buy swagman and overblood

arne

demi said:
I must be on the opposite end, I'm buying a 360 because I have nothing to play. I've played all the "hot titles" that GAF has raved about, and majority of the high rated titles out there.

I look at the main three and I can't even play anything, I find myself picking up old PSX titles to waste time before I get my 360.

ps. buy swagman and overblood

You're obviously lying since you haven't played Oblivion and GRAW nor PDZ multiplayer... all "hot titles"

demi

arne said:
You're obviously lying since you haven't played Oblivion and GRAW nor PDZ multiplayer... all "hot titles"

I ALSO SAID I AM BUYING A 360 BECAUSE I NEED GAMES TO PLAY

Tellaerin

Has anyone else noticed how so many of us seem obsessed with playing every single 'quality' game that gets released? When I take a step back and look at it, it's really strange. I mean, there are countless numbers of great books that I will never read and great movies that I'll never get around to seeing, and more are being released all the time. That doesn't leave me feeling like I'm missing anything, though - I watch and read what interests me, and take solace in the notion that I'm not liable to exhaust that stockpile of entertainment anytime soon. Why are games so different for people? Has years of targeted advertising convinced us that we must play it all, and play it right now? Or is it something else at work?

Tarazet

I still buy games to sell/generally just try out, but the only game that has sat me down for any appreciable length of time lately is Paper Mario TTYD. Phoenix Wright was the last one before that, and then it was.. the first time I played through TTYD.

Tellaerin said:
Has anyone else noticed how so many of us seem obsessed with playing every single 'quality' game that gets released? When I take a step back and look at it, it's really strange. I mean, there are countless numbers of great books that I will never read and great movies that I'll never get around to seeing, and more are being released all the time. That doesn't leave me feeling like I'm missing anything, though - I watch and read what interests me, and take solace in the notion that I'm not liable to exhaust that stockpile of entertainment anytime soon. Why are games so different for people? Has years of targeted advertising convinced us that we must play it all, and play it right now? Or is it something else at work?

This post is very thought provoking. I think since posting on GAF I'm more aware of games on other systems I don't own, coupled with hype, it all leaves me feeling like I'm missing out. F you GAF.

Tain

I generally don't rush into new games, so no. That, and I trust GAF's general consensus about as much as GameFAQ's.

Funny thing is, I'm always at some point feeling like I need to read every great book or see every great movie, as much as I feel like I'll be playing every great game eventually. I just don't act on these, obviously.

KINGMOKU

The problme I have is that I buy said game, it rocks, I play, and then I come to GAF where someone talks about some other great game. I buy said game, get into that, forget where I was in other game, and get frustrated and buy another game that someone here is talking about. Then I go and buy the game that was just released that I was waiting for, and get completly confused.

GAF, if anything is a HUGE distraction for me becuase I end up buying more games then I normally would, and have to big of a backlog to deal with.

I am still trying to hold out against The will to buy PWAA.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm not 'burnt' out i guess because i'm so poor

but i pre-ordered Wii in prep, and finally all the games I've pre-ordered will be coming together soon so I'll be indulging again

Yakuza, Okami, Final Fantasy XII, Zelda:TP(GCN), Wii + Metroid Prime 3 and Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria.

Hopefully I'll be able to add Disgaea II, Super Paper Mario and Gears of War to the list soon.

Ponn

Banned
Easy, redefine what you consider "Quality" and tighten up the requirements to be in this category. If you come into a dry spell then you can go back and start playing the "near Quality" games that didn't quite make it.

Tarazet

moku said:
The problme I have is that I buy said game, it rocks, I play, and then I come to GAF where someone talks about some other great game. I buy said game, get into that, forget where I was in other game, and get frustrated and buy another game that someone here is talking about. Then I go and buy the game that was just released that I was waiting for, and get completly confused.

GAF, if anything is a HUGE distraction for me becuase I end up buying more games then I normally would, and have to big of a backlog to deal with.

I am still trying to hold out against The will to buy PWAA.

I'll help you out: if you stick with one game, and play it out, multiple times if possible - even if Phoenix Wright jumps to $80 in the meantime, then you haven't wasted $50 on the first game, then $40 on another, then $20 on another, then $30 on another.. instead, you've gotten your $50 worth, and now you can buy Phoenix Wright knowing that you didn't waste $50 by not buying it while it was in print - you saved $10 by waiting until you were ready for it.

I'm too poor to get burned out... I prolly will when I get a nice pocket of cash and hit up all those good games I missed when they're bargain-priced!

Ponn01 said:
Easy, redefine what you consider "Quality" and tighten up the requirements to be in this category. If you come into a dry spell then you can go back and start playing the "near Quality" games that didn't quite make it.

I think this is a good strategy, but it's often hard to tell which games are the "REALLY Quality" ones, since reviews / impressions of most games all tend to be pretty positive :/

Wink

Greenpanda said:

2 things

1st: Stop buying games that are supposed to be good. Only buy games where you are excited enough to run home and play them immediately.
2nd: START TO PLAY, NOW!

Ponn

Banned
Greenpanda said:
I think this is a good strategy, but it's often hard to tell which games are the "REALLY Quality" ones, since reviews / impressions of most games all tend to be pretty positive :/

Hmm..I don't have a problem doing this. I mean I read GAF and see people getting excited about games that consistenly get 7's and 8's and buy them. Being a RPG player I especially have to be pretty strict on what I buy and don't buy. You have to find a strict balance between your tastes and impressions. It does help completely ignoring other whole genres too like FPS's and Sports games.

Symytry

yeah, overall its ridiculous. You have to let the price drop on most of them before you buy. There are only certain day 1 releases that are necessary, namely ATLUS published titles, because the bastards make like 10 copies of each game.

ZeoVGM

Banned
i've never bought more games for a system faster than i have for DS. i have.. i think 25, maybe 26. bought Mega Man Battle Network 5 Double Team DS (mouthful) tonight for 20 bucks new. the prices + overall quality of the games are awesome

sky

I'm semi-burnt. There's a ton of games that interest me, but I don't have the time or energy to play them. Thinking that there are 2 new consoles coming out this year is just tiring. I'll probably pick up a Wii, because I think the games will be short.

The best thing I've done for my excitement about games? Not buy a 360, and not preorder a Wii or a PS3. I don't think I'll touch any of them until I'm completely done with this generation, and if that means completely skipping a gen, or maybe picking up just one of those consoles when all is said and done, then so be it.

It's so nice to know that I'm not racing against a tidal wave of new releases. There are still a few great titles on the way for the 'cube and the PS2, but for the most part it feels over. I'm just taking my time wrapping up my collection and cherry picking from the games I never got around to trying. I'm doing more actual playing/finishing of games than I have in years.

Oh, hey, I quit WOW too, I bet that helped some as well. :lol

Prospero

I'm not burned out, but I'm still playing games that came out during winter 2004 (I just purchased Resident Evil 4 last month). Other than Disgaea 2 (August 29), my fall and winter will most likely consist of waiting patiently for price drops on current-gen games.

Teasel

Greenpanda said:

it's funny because i feel like the other way... i don't have a backlog and i really need something new to play

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Greenpanda said:

:lol :lol man, I feel the exact same way sometimes. The key, I suppose, is to try to keep focused on 1 game at a time. Play the heck out of it until you don't want to look at it anymore, *then* move on. Another way to look at this "problem" is to ask yourself if you'd rather have fewer great games in existance. I wouldn't.

Kabouter

Greenpanda said:

Same situation, it's insane, makes me regret buying my 360. I really don't need it to satisfy my gaming needs, there's plenty to play on the platform I already own. Hell, Civ IV alone is worth YEARS of entertainment and I rarely have time to play it because so many other quality titles get released which I just have to play :(.

Top Bottom