• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else excited for magic builds in Elden Ring?

SantaC

I have always loved the sorcerer and faith builds in souls games, however it has been absent for too long. Sekiro didnt had any and Bloodborne was kinda meh too (Arcane wasnt really deep)

By the sound of it, Elden Ring will have the meatiest magic system yet. I want to melt invaders.

Hopefully they wont nerf it like they did with Dark Souls 2 (magic was incredibly OP pre-patch)

GymWolf

Yeah but close combat usually has a million different options to get OP, so i want the same with magic.
I think it's always easier to be op with magic and i woulnd't worry about variety in what is from biggest game to date.

Just the old footage showed a lot of cool ass magic, and you can even use it while on the horse.

SantaC

I think it's always easier to be op with magic and i woulnd't worry about variety in what is from biggest game to date.

Just the old footage showed a lot of cool ass magic, and you can even use it while on the horse.
Sweet. I havent watched any recent Elden ring footage due to spoilers.

Reactions: Isa

Dr_Salt

Not really, I always do the Guts build in these types of games and Elden Ring will be no different. I wonder where the greatsword is gonna be this time.

I've literally never tried a magic spell in any Souls game. In general, I'm really bad at understanding magic builds in video games. I've always been averse to the idea of my character being tied to a resource like mana when I can just smash my enemies in the face with a hammer.

The enchanted knight looks really cool, but I know I'm going to end up choosing the vagabond or whatever the normal knight is and then finding the biggest weapon I can swing.

Aenima

No. I always go for long swords and shield and use bow for ranged combat.
If i do a magic build would be when i crate a secong character for a 2nd playthrough

GymWolf

That´s the exact reason I´ll go magic first.
"relaxed exploring" without the danger of instantly dying due to a wrong camera movement or a failed parry. :messenger_beaming:
Opposite mentality here.

I barely replay long games so my first run has to be the hardest and more significant.

Haggard

Banned
Opposite mentality here.

I barely replay long games so my first run has to be the hardest and more significant.
images

The trait of a true soulsborne player ;)

Sygma

Given how hilariously broken soul samurai was in demon's souls in pvp, it's a resounding yes from me. Just wanna chain kill people

Isa

Dark Souls Magic GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

Hell Yeah!!!! I go on and on about my love for DS 2 and all the magic present, as well as DS 3. I totally agree with the sentiment with Sekiro and Bloodborne. For me BB is just soooooo light on content that it was very short and lacked a lot of depth. Great for beginners though with a striking art style, I can see why some people love it. And people like to claim that Souls games are easy mode with magic, ha! I dare you to go full hummie and be invaded by assholes and defend yourself with magic that won't hit anything but the environment. The entirety of the game save for some weak soul arrow or aoe spell that the player will roll out of and heal. I always have to resort to my melee weapon which pales in comparison to some tool who's spec'd entirely into some op build lol.

Like anything its great to play for what appeals to you. For me its that action rpg fashion souls in coop with a buddy. I usually go some caster and he goes a dex/skill based ninja or thief, sometimes he'd keep the Havel armor in emergencies. I love being the glass cannon and healer, with my special guardian, it reminds me of cool stories of yore. We were getting excited about ER after work, reminiscing about our adventures together. So many times he'd save me, other times I'd heal him on the last of my MP or limited casts, sometimes I'd save us against a boss or from getting ganked. I love the covenant idea and pledging myself to some faction or creed that was cool lore wise or visually but offered little benefit in game lol. I really can't wait to play Elden Ring and really do hope the game is more rpg focused which sounds like it is. I get and respect people wanting to play the knight thing, that's how I first played through Demon's Souls all those years ago. But man us magic users need love too. Plus dude the lore is so sick. The Witches of Izalith, primordial fires, different to other fire magics, magic so profane. It really does feel like you have to seek it out, and finding mentors is amazing. There just isn't much of that in games.

Dark Souls Happy Dance GIF

Bartski

Gold Member
YES!

In my opinion, skipping magic is missing out on a key gameplay system that makes those games so good.

I get it - I also began my trip with FROM titles doing full melee builds, it's all great but when I made my first spellcaster hybrid it was so much more interesting there is no going back.

And I don't mean min-maxing INT for soul arrow spam, but all the unique defensive buffs and debuffs, all the weird sorceries and pyromancies you need to really figure out what they do. It just adds so much to the gameplay and by the sound of things, Elden Ring will be all about those options.

Choosing the prisoner as the starting point of a dex / int hybrid and I couldn't be more excited.

Arthimura

I'm going to play the beginning of the game with each archetype, and then decide what kind of character I want to play on my first playthrough.

I usually go full "big sword goes brr" in Souls games, sometimes with a little mix of magic/piromancy, for Elden Ring I'm considering to do a Faith build to change things a little.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Magic was said to be a lot more balanced than what was in the NT. I’m hoping strength and magic are on the same playing field. I would like to play as a magic user unless they have the equivalent to the Zweihander. Yeah, the special effects to magic are looking sweet. 😎

Boneless

All the options look cool. Hunter style with bow, sleeping arrows and stealth, cool. Mage raining down firebombs, cool. Mix mage/warrior paladin style, cool. Samurai fast melee, cool. Heavy armored two handed slapper, cool.

I guess I'll just start wretch and figure it out as I go along.

Top Bottom