• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else going back to old school CRT gaming.

tommib

Have RGB modded my import US N64 and have connected it to my newly bought 14inch Sony Trinitron and the old gaming feeling came sweeping back.
Have also got some RGB scart cables for my modded Wii (playing SNES games at 240p with a SNES gamepad) and one for my Xbox 360. Halo looks awesome.
At this rate I'm going to have to invest in a scart switch box.

I also have a RGB Scart cable coming for my Raspberry Pi 4 which will give native 240p output via the gpio port. Should look perfect.

Yes I've got a big OLED but there is something about playing the games as they were meant to be played. CRT looks incredible.
I have a friend with a GameCube and a PS1 connected via Scart to a Panasonic CRT and there’s just no other way to play those consoles. CRT looks amazing. We did so many steps back to come up at something that is still not as good as CRT.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I have a friend with a GameCube and a PS1 connected via Scart to a Panasonic CRT and there’s just no other way to play those consoles. CRT looks amazing. We did so many steps back to come up at something that is still not as good as CRT.
The current generation has a totally distorted view of what older systems looked like, as a consequence of this. They've never seen PS1, Gamecube, even N64 on the intended screens, but only chunky pixellated garbage versions of these games on flat screens. So they walk around thinking that games were ugly in the former era, without a clue as to how good some of these systems looked.

Last edited:

simpatico

Yep! I set up a retro corner in my office. SNES, Genesis and soon PS2 and GameCube. Best gaming money I ever spent. Can’t do it on an LCD, no matter how many filters I apply. It’s just not the same. I’ve already got a nice collection. All the classics and I’m trying to round up every SHMUP on Genesis. Already tracked down all the Thunder Force games

I don't miss the bulk of CRTs and newer OLED TVs are just a few filters/shaders away from achieving the look. I am just disappointed PS2 emulation is so spotty. If there is one console that looks like shit blown up on a high resolution display it is the PS2.

P.S. I hate gently cleaning the modern TV/monitor screens with special wipes as you could casually wipe a CRT screen just like any other surface.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I should get a new CRT, the geometry is kinda fucked up on mine.

Not something you notice unless you really want to, but it's there. :goog_relieved:

Wish CRT were still being produced, but I guess they would be expensive as all hell to compensate how hard they are to make when compared to modern screens.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
And to think I threw out my old 32" CRT TV and 19" CRT Monitor (1600x1200).. sigh.
My man you are not alone. I had some nice CRTs, specially in college, but I never appreciated them and now they are gone.

CRT threads
e8ef87b6e99b9e07e701a02dcdda6c4f.jpg

many of the CRTs mentioned here are garbage-tier
CRT quality varied wildly from manufacturer and model

StereoVsn

Man, I would love to have a CRT. I do have Retrotink 5x, but it’s not quite the same.

I am just wary of things breaking and the stupid heavy weight. Would be awesome to have one of the 30+ trinitrons.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
CRT threads
e8ef87b6e99b9e07e701a02dcdda6c4f.jpg

First of all, yes I still play my OG brick Game Boy which I got the very first Christmas that it landed in the US : )

Second,

many of the CRTs mentioned here are garbage-tier
CRT quality varied wildly from manufacturer and model

Doesn't matter. I actually like playing on more "ordinary" CRTs that were in typical living rooms in the 80s/90s, and I don't care all that much about maxxing out to the trinitrons etc.

The lovely feeling of CRTs is not restricted to their precision. The games were designed to work with the distinct kinds of fuzziness, glow, etc that characterized this kind of screen tech. They look more fantastic on even budget-tier CRTs than on the best flat panel & filters on the entire market today.

Last edited:
Got a couple of Trinitrons and an LG Flatron. I run a SFF PC through them with CRT Emudriver so i can emulate pretty much everything from the atari up to about the wii in perfect lossless rgb/component video. The image is actually so sharp that I sometimes have to tone it down a little using shaders (TV Out Tweaks and GTU were specifically designed to be used for this purpose and allow you to adjust the signal bandwidth on the horizontal and vertical axis').

I also have a wells-gardner RGB monitor but it's in a NeoGeo MVS cabinet which is now collecting dust ever since i got Groovymame and CRT Emudriver up and running.

Top Bottom