• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else started watching Elden Ring videos in order to prepare for tomorrow's show?

sublimit

Banned
Elden-Ring_banner-900x506.jpg

I know i'm setting myself up for disappointment but i really can't help it anymore.

I have watched 3 videos of "everything we know about Elden Ring so far" including both official information and interviews by Miyazaki as well as rumors and my imagination runs wild.

I feel as if Miyazaki has been spying on me and has created a game that ticks a lot of things that i love both in video games as well as from outside of them.

1)Action RPG with an emphasis on the RPG aspect similar to Souls games rather than pure action gameplay we have seen in Sekiro.
demons-souls.jpg

2)Emphasis on meaningful exploration.
DarkSouls3ReviewSpot2.jpg

3)Inspired by the atmosphere of Team Ico's games
160972-ico-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

4)Environments that are inspired by Scotland.
Clearing-Storm-Glencoe-ntl.jpg

5)George Martin is writing the lore of the game.
George-R.R.-Martin.jpg

And these are just a few of the elements we know so far that make me excited for this game.

Do you feel the same or you don't care until you see gameplay trailer and a release date?

Last edited:

Chiggs

I couldn't possibly be more excited for Elden Ring. Nothing else even comes close. Any From game gets elevated to God-tier status, and the inclusion of George RR Martin just makes this that much more anticipated.

I'm going to buy this on multiple platforms--I can just feel it.

sublimit

Banned
Why would you do this to yourself? Relax don’t overhype it isn’t good for you.
I have been mostly able to resist the hype but today i got this feeling that we might see something tomorrow and that made me give in lol.

I know i'm probaly wrong and i'm going to regret it though. :(

RedVIper

Banned
They are very different games in terms of scope and scale so i don't think anyone will compare the visuals.

People will absolutely compare them as silly as it is.

Bluepoint is completely dedicated to remastering games, visuals is all they do.

From has always excellent art design, but they've never been cutting edge from a technical standpoint, so I doubt the game will look that good.

I'd love if the game went full on raytracing for the PC version, but I have my doubts there will be any meaningful improvement over sekiro.

Last edited:

Chiggs

I wonder if seeing Bluepoint's Demon's Souls has From worried about the level of the visuals for their own game.

I wonder if Bluepoint could even make a full game. Considering they pussed out on the 6th Archstone, I'm thinking no.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I wonder if Bluepoint could even make a full game. Considering they pussed out on the 6th Archstone, I'm thinking no.
That's not fair to make any judgements like that. No one would have dared to make the 6th Archstone other than From themselves. It would have also been unethical in a way.

Lets judge them on whether they can or not make a game when (and if) they decide to ever make a game of their own.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
just play it when it comes out in 3 yrs

Belmonte

I'm very curious to see how Myazaki will tackle open world design. Was there any action RPG from them with more open environments? If I'm not mistaken, since inception of the formula with King's Field, the level design is very focused.

How will they adjust the gameplay for open world? Will there be some kind of level scaling? I imagine the game will have locations with a more traditional From Software exploration, with more focused challenges. Elden Ring has the potential to be the biggest departure from Souls formula, even more than Sekiro.

About the hype, obviously I'm hyped! But I'm cool with the wait because I'm finishing Dark Souls 3 for the first time so I'm more than satisfied. Outstanding game. I'm thinking about picking Shadow Tower: Abyss if I finish it DS3 before Elden Ring releases -which is very probable.

RedVIper

Banned
I'm very curious to see how Myazaki will tackle open world design. Was there any action RPG from them with more open environments? If I'm not mistaken, since inception of the formula with King's Field, the level design is very focused.

How will they adjust the gameplay for open world? Will there be some kind of level scaling? I imagine the game will have locations with a more traditional From Software exploration, with more focused challenges. Elden Ring has the potential to be the biggest departure from Souls formula, even more than Sekiro.

About the hype, obviously I'm hyped! But I'm cool with the wait because I'm finishing Dark Souls 3 for the first time so I'm more than satisfied. Outstanding game. I'm thinking about picking Shadow Tower: Abyss if I finish it DS3 before Elden Ring releases -which is very probable.

Dark souls 1 is technically open world.

Chiggs

That's not fair to make any judgements like that. No one would have dared to make the 6th Archstone other than From themselves. It would have also been unethical in a way.

Lets judge them on whether they can or not make a game when (and if) they decide to ever make a game of their own.

They had a chance to do something original, which everyone wanted to see, and they chose not to. As of now, they're remakers...the best in the business, but they had a golden chance to do something original and didn't.

I mean, they could have hired VaatiVidya if they were scared.

sublimit

Banned
They had a chance to do something original, which everyone wanted to see, and they chose not to. As of now, they're remakers...the best in the business, but they had a golden chance to do something original and didn't.

I mean, they could have hired VaatiVidya if they were scared.
Maybe From should hire VaatiVidya for their next game instead of Miyazaki.

Chiggs

The same as Blue Point collaborating with Vaati instead of Miyazaki on Miyazaki's work. ;)

Alright, I'm not letting this go. :)

We saw the stuff inside the 6th Archstone. It wasn't good, and Miyazaki knew it, which is why it was cut.

Bluepoint could have done something. Instead, they played it safe, and we get fractured mode and Penetrator armor. Don't get me wrong, I love the remake, but I would have loved to have seen something in that Archstone. Heck, make it a boss rush mode, or make it a giant PVP arena with the ability to add monsters to the chaos.

Just something.

Playing it safe can be smart, but a little extra oomph would have gone a really, really long way.

Paltheos

I'm pretty cool with waiting, myself. If we get something, cool, but um... I'm kinda pessimistic specifically because Martin is involved. Who knows when it'll be ready?

RedVIper

Banned
The levels are interconnected, with focused level design. It is more like Metroid than open world. The scope and exploration of wide spaces are important open world features.

Sure the scope is very limited compared to something like RDR or something but still.

I'm very excited to see what they can do, I think level design is the thing that sets them so far ahead other developers who try to copy them, and I'm not sure how well that will be executed in a full fledged open world.

Collin

Banned
i wonder if open world will work for From. Not that the souls games or Bloodborne are really that far off from being open world, but i gotta admit, i haven’t loved when other franchises i love have tried it when they traditionally are something else: phantom pain and ffxv come to mind as being mediocre disappointments when going that direction

FunkMiller

*looks at George RR Martin and his productivity rate*

*looks at people thinking we’re getting Elden Ring any time soon*

giphy.gif

S0ULZB0URNE

By far my most anticipated.

I heard March 2021 but would luv a delay to add proper next-gen support.

Might triple dip PS5/XSX/PC if it's good enough.

Hudo

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.......

sublimit

Banned
Prepare? what is it, a final? 🤔
Yes this is just as important. My mind and soul need to be ready.:messenger_expressionless:

Sure the scope is very limited compared to something like RDR or something but still.

I'm very excited to see what they can do, I think level design is the thing that sets them so far ahead other developers who try to copy them, and I'm not sure how well that will be executed in a full fledged open world.
i wonder if open world will work for From. Not that the souls games or Bloodborne are really that far off from being open world, but i gotta admit, i haven’t loved when other franchises i love have tried it when they traditionally are something else: phantom pain and ffxv come to mind as being mediocre disappointments when going that direction

For those who are wondering how the open world will work the information we have so far indicates that Elden Ring's world will be comprised by 8 Kingdoms that are interconnected by an "overworld". I think it will be something like Shadow of the colossus (but in an even grander scale) where instead of the Colossi we will have Kingdoms that are "much bigger than any of the levels designed in any Souls game" and those Kingdoms will have a level design similar to that of Souls games levels but much more expanded.We will have to travel valleys andmountains to reach them and i guess that's where the TeamIco/Shadow of the colossus influence comes as well as the inspiration by environments like those of the Highlands of Scotland.

But unlike Shadow of the Colossus world the overworld in Elden Ring will not be empty and it will have NPCs who also have the same mission as us and are wondering the world travelling to each Kingdom.

Last edited:
Top Bottom