• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else using a Meal Planning App?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVIDICAN

I've been using Mealime for a few months now and I don't know how the hell I managed without it. After the first week(picking up essentials), grocerys have been consistently $60-$100 per week for feeding 2 people a healthy meal. All the recipes are 30-40minutes or less, I'm provided a grocery list with exact quantities/weights listed, and I've been eating alot more vegetables and an awesome variety of meals I probably would have never made at home otherwise. Thus far every single one has been fantastic.

Anyone else using these sort of apps? Any other good ones out there?

gaiages

Banned
I was actually researching meal planning apps for an article, and I can happily share the list with you... when I'm home from work >.> That said, I haven't tried any of them yet, so I don't know of their quality, only that they look pretty feature packed.

JVIDICAN

I was actually researching meal planning apps for an article, and I can happily share the list with you... when I'm home from work >.> That said, I haven't tried any of them yet, so I don't know of their quality, only that they look pretty feature packed.
Please do! Mealimes been great, and I knows theres a least a few more in the app store.

JVIDICAN

I do FitMenCook and it is great, but it was very painful to start because I had never cooked before.

That's one of the other ones I've seen. I'll need to check it out
And I get that, definitely a no go if you cant stand cooking. Fortunately it's one of my favorite things to do. Lol

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try Mealime. I've been wanting to try more new recipes for a while but I've always been too lazy to look for them. This app seems great so far, especially with the automatically generated grocery list.

JVIDICAN

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try Mealime. I've been wanting to try more new recipes for a while but I've always been too lazy to look for them. This app seems great so far, especially with the automatically generated grocery list.

No problem. Yeah its all laid out really nicely. Only downside I've run into is it doesn't let you pick and choose individual recipes but I assume that's because it's grouping together ingredients. Lot of recipes will use half of something for one meal and the other half for another. You can always pulldown for a refresh and have it give new options if your not feeling what it gives you on the first go.

Lkr

is the app completely free? i eat the same boring meals all the time so i wouldn't mind something to change it up every so often.

JVIDICAN

is the app completely free? i eat the same boring meals all the time so i wouldn't mind something to change it up every so often.
They have a subscription with a few extras like pro recipes the, ability to save favorites, and nutritional info for $5/month. Aside from that its free. I do the subscription myself but could easily live without it.

JVIDICAN

I didn't even know such apps existed. Downloading a couple now to check them out. Thanks for bringing them up.
No problem! I had no idea either until I searched the play store on a whim lol. I'm kinda surprised they're not more popular. Beats the heck out of aimless grocery shopping for an hour and ending up with ground beef, sausage, and potato chips to get me through the week. Or even worse stopping out multiple times per weeks for unplanned meals..

manakel

I definitely need to look into something like this. I absolutely hate grocery shopping and cooking, and I continue to spend so much money going out to eat. I think something like this would be helpful!

gaiages

Banned
*bump*

Here are some of the apps I've found, though I've only tried one so far:

MealBoard - This one you can search for (and I'm thinking enter in?) your own recipes, and it helps populate a nice meal calendar for you. Additionally it'll make a shopping list for you for the ingredients you need for your meals, and supposedly even mark down the aisles you need to go down for your local store? Dunno how/if that works well... Seems to be iOS only, as I'll never get to try it, lol.

MealPlan - Very very basic meal planning app if you don't want all the bells and whistles of the others. Basically you put meals into the calendar, and viola, super easy way to track and make sure you planned out *enough* meals for the week (my personal weakness). Apparently it can make a grocery list for you too, but I doubt it's as in depth as any of the others here. Also I guess the calendar is easy to print out and put on your fridge and whatnot.

Yummly - this is more a recipe app. This is the one I've tried but for me, it wouldn't work too well... I'm on keto, and their low carb options either weren't low carb enough, or had the carbs macro wrong. However, for someone not on as a restricted diet, it seems quite helpful for browsing and finding new recipes. It makes a grocery list too, of course.

Sidechef - Not meal planning, but looks super helpful for cooking newbies (like me). You look up recipes, etc etc... but SideChef shows you step by step how to actually make the dish. Extremely helpful for a plethora of reasons, since I'm sure not everyone knows what a bunch of those fancy cooking techniques are. I'm excited to try it out, but again with my dietary restrictions, I doubt I'll find much I can actually use.

Hope these help a bit :)

JVIDICAN

*bump*

Here are some of the apps I've found, though I've only tried one so far:

MealBoard - This one you can search for (and I'm thinking enter in?) your own recipes, and it helps populate a nice meal calendar for you. Additionally it'll make a shopping list for you for the ingredients you need for your meals, and supposedly even mark down the aisles you need to go down for your local store? Dunno how/if that works well... Seems to be iOS only, as I'll never get to try it, lol.

MealPlan - Very very basic meal planning app if you don't want all the bells and whistles of the others. Basically you put meals into the calendar, and viola, super easy way to track and make sure you planned out *enough* meals for the week (my personal weakness). Apparently it can make a grocery list for you too, but I doubt it's as in depth as any of the others here. Also I guess the calendar is easy to print out and put on your fridge and whatnot.

Yummly - this is more a recipe app. This is the one I've tried but for me, it wouldn't work too well... I'm on keto, and their low carb options either weren't low carb enough, or had the carbs macro wrong. However, for someone not on as a restricted diet, it seems quite helpful for browsing and finding new recipes. It makes a grocery list too, of course.

Sidechef - Not meal planning, but looks super helpful for cooking newbies (like me). You look up recipes, etc etc... but SideChef shows you step by step how to actually make the dish. Extremely helpful for a plethora of reasons, since I'm sure not everyone knows what a bunch of those fancy cooking techniques are. I'm excited to try it out, but again with my dietary restrictions, I doubt I'll find much I can actually use.

Hope these help a bit :)

Sweet! Thanks for sharing!

B4s5C

I've been using Mealime for a few months now and I don't know how the hell I managed without it. After the first week(picking up essentials), grocerys have been consistently $60-$100 per week for feeding 2 people a healthy meal. All the recipes are 30-40minutes or less, I'm provided a grocery list with exact quantities/weights listed, and I've been eating alot more vegetables and an awesome variety of meals I probably would have never made at home otherwise. Thus far every single one has been fantastic.

Anyone else using these sort of apps? Any other good ones out there?

After reading this post, I downloaded Mealime and went to the grocery store. $70 for meals for the entire week and I have came to the conclusion this is awesome and what I have needed since lI began working a lot more. This is like BlueApron without having to pay high prices just to have the food delivered.

JVIDICAN

After reading this post, I downloaded Mealime and went to the grocery store. $70 for meals for the entire week and I have came to the conclusion this is awesome and what I have needed since lI began working a lot more. This is like BlueApron without having to pay high prices just to have the food delivered.
Awesome to hear! The Blue Apron comparison is spot on. Let me know what you think of the meals. Everything I've done so far has been great. The serving sizes are damn big for the relatively low calories too.

yunbuns

Thanks gaiages! Definitely going to try these out and show them to my brother too. I've been wanting to get into meal prepping for awhile.

I cook dinner every night, and feel like I am a pretty experienced home cook. How on earth are they getting you to cook meals for two for $70? I spend like $50-60 a week for just fresh produce and herbs! My average bill at the grocery store is about $120-150 (of course this includes breakfast/lunch and various sundries). Are the recipes just like really simple one or two ingredient things?

Where I live, it's basically cheaper in the end to buy premade food at the store, or to eat out.

Sucks, because I do love cooking, and also because I have a hard time finding the ingredients I want.

JVIDICAN

I cook dinner every night, and feel like I am a pretty experienced home cook. How on earth are they getting you to cook meals for two for $70? I spend like $50-60 a week for just fresh produce and herbs! My average bill at the grocery store is about $120-150 (of course this includes breakfast/lunch and various sundries). Are the recipes just like really simple one or two ingredient things?

The ingredient list are nothing too crazy. Your buying 1 or two sorts of "main" veggies a week plus onions tomatos, spinach, ect.

Here's my produce for next weeks plan:
i2QTLny.jpg

And one of the recipes:
http://r.mealime.com/2018

gaiages

Banned
Am I the only one, who considers $70 a week for groceries a lot? For one person I mean.

I guess it depends on what you're buying. My grocery budget is $300 a month just for myself, but eating out is rare and because I'm on keto I buy a lot of meat, which gets pricey. Keto basically cuts out your staple cheap fillers (rice, pasta, bread) so even when I'm buying on sale the bill can rack up quick.

Nice app but it only gives 6 recipes max it seems. So are u cooking one recipe a day ?

Generally when you're meal prepping you cook meals with multiple servings and spread the servings throughout the week, so you shouldn't be cooking meals and different recipes everyday, even following the standard 4 serving recipes.

That said 6 is still a little low, I feel like the app could have at least given you room for 10 recipes.

JVIDICAN

I guess it depends on what you're buying. My grocery budget is $300 a month just for myself, but eating out is rare and because I'm on keto I buy a lot of meat, which gets pricey. Keto basically cuts out your staple cheap fillers (rice, pasta, bread) so even when I'm buying on sale the bill can rack up quick.

Generally when you're meal prepping you cook meals with multiple servings and spread the servings throughout the week, so you shouldn't be cooking meals and different recipes everyday, even following the standard 4 serving recipes.

That said 6 is still a little low, I feel like the app could have at least given you room for 10 recipes.

Yeah I'd agree, the option for more would be nice. I'd guess whatever algorithm they have for grouping meals with similar ingredients maxes out at 6

ShyMel

The Mealime app user interface is nice, but it won't let me exclude eggs and dairy from recipes at the time (though they are possibly adding veganism and other meal styles according to the support page). I will try out some of the other apps listed in this thread for now though.

sam12

The Mealime app user interface is nice, but it won't let me exclude eggs and dairy from recipes at the time (though they are possibly adding veganism and other meal styles according to the support page). I will try out some of the other apps listed in this thread for now though.

It should though once u specify the allergens once it asks for them. Like I excluded dairy and gluten when it asked me under the allergy listings

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member

You can choose dairy-free in your allergy and restrictions settings and you can also dislike eggs as an ingredient (no idea if this totally eliminates them). You can set both in the preferences.

Made two meals so far, the first was okay, didn't like the second one at all. Will keep on trying new stuff though.

Mimir

You can choose dairy-free in your allergy and restrictions settings and you can also dislike eggs as an ingredient (no idea if this totally eliminates them). You can set both in the preferences.

Made two meals so far, the first was okay, didn't like the second one at all. Will keep on trying new stuff though.
Dairy-free isn't an option if you choose the vegetarian meal plan. Neither eggs nor honey are options for ingredients you dislike either, so the app is useless for vegans.

JVIDICAN

Which one was that? I'll see a few that look kinda "eh.." but I usually refresh until I get a good spread lol

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Nice thread, had no idea meal planning apps existed! Unfortunately Mealime appears either not to exist on the Play Store or it's not available in my country (EDIT: Not in Colombia, although I messaged the devs and see if they have plans to see if I should try other apps, but Mealime does look pretty sweet). Would love to use it.

I haven't actually used it as far as buying all the stuff needed to cook the meals, but i've been "using" the ForksOverKnives app for vegan meals.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Dairy-free isn't an option if you choose the vegetarian meal plan. Neither eggs nor honey are options for ingredients you dislike either, so the app is useless for vegans.

Strange that they limit the options depending on the chosen type of meal plan. Have you checked some of the suggested recipes, maybe the vegetarian meal plan is actually vegan and therefore implies dairy-free and no eggs, honey, etc.? Otherwise that's a big oversight on them imo.

Which one was that? I'll see a few that look kinda "eh.." but I usually refresh until I get a good spread lol

The thai chicken and bell pepper lettuce wraps with peanut sauce were okay, but I'd rather eat a regular chicken salad. Couldn't even finish the black bean and mango rice bowl with cilantro vinaigrette. Both looked promising to me, but the second one was definitely not my taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom