• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone know a lot about special effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecrofirt

I'm going to be shooting a short zombie flick with some friends soon.

Anyone know a lot about special effects? We're looking into effects for zombie bites (like when you see a zombie bite someone, and their flesh rips off.), gunshots & gunshot wounds.

We're also going to have a legless zombie, but I think I know how we can pull that one off. We're gonig to dig a hole in the ground about two feet deep, and have the person put their legs in the hole. We'll then cover their legs with soil, and ave their shirt and intestines hang out the bottom.

If anyone has any ideas how to do the gunshots and zombie bites, please post.

edit:

I KNOW HOW TO MAKE FAKE BLOOD. NO MORE LINKS, PLEASE

Ecrofirt

Thanks for the link beerbelly.

What we're looking to do is show the character fire the gun, and see the shot hit the zombie.

Is something like this possible? We don't have blanks, and we obviously don't have squibs, but we're looking for something we can do for a headshot that looks somewhat realistic. Any ideas?

Ecrofirt

Awesome link.

I read it though, and I have a question. Some of the text is a bit unclear, and I need it explained.

Step Four - Gently pour in about 20ml of your fake blood to the modified end of the hose. You may need to thin the blood mixture with water to make it less 'gloopy' (err...that sounds technical). Bung up the side hole with pieces of sponge. Ideally use red sponge as this will fly out when you trigger the sprayer looking like chunks of flesh. Mmm...nice!
MOST IMPORTANT BIT!!!

Have the actor get down on his knees and get an assistant to hold the sprayer as high as possible for 30 seconds. This allows the blood to run down and prime the tube. The blood should now all be in the last part of the tube held back by the bits of sponge.

Where are you initially pouring the blood? It sounds as though you're pouring it into the hole you made with the screwdriver, but then it's saying to have the actor get down on his knees.

Can you explain this a bit?

Ecrofirt

Also, I just took a screengrab of one of the types of things I want to do. I'll post a link, in case anyone is offended by blood on a wall:
http://www.nformant.net/headshot.JPG

Ideally, what I want to do is have the character's back to the camera, with the zombie in front of him. He'll pull the trigger, there'll be a muzzle flash, and that will occur. Is there any way I can achieve the bullet hole effect without pricy things?

Also, does anyone know about that zombie flesh eating stuff? I would imagine I can use liquid latex somehow for it, but I'm not exactly what I'd need to do to get the type of effect I want. I'm talknig about when a zombie bites off a piece of flesh, and you can see it rip away from the rest of the skin.

mattx5

Have the character's back block the view of the zombie while youre filming. After you hear the gunshot, all the viewer sees is the blood splatter against the wall. Pause your filming. Tell everyone to hold really fucking still. Paint the bullet hole onto the zombie's head. Resume filming. Now when the character moves out of the way, you'll see the hole on the zombie's head. Touch everything up during the editing process.

Alternatively, you could just place a bullet hole onto the zombie's head in every frame which features that zombie using Photoshop.

Ecrofirt

can you also use premiere?

We're going to have to edit in the muzzle flashes and everything. In fact, that brings up a question.

WHat's better for that sort of work, After Effects, or Premiere? Or is there some other program you recommend?

mattx5

Take the footage you want to add the special effect to. Export it to After Effects. Edit in the muzzle flash, gunshot, wound, etc. into the shot, save it, then export the footage back into Premiere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom