• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any other PC gamers already set on buying the next generation of CPUs/GPUs that are around the corner?

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I intend to pick up an RTX 5090 and Ryzen 9800X3D as soon as they come out, and have about $700 put aside right now in anticipation. I'm currently rocking an RTX 4090 and Ryzen 7700X, so I should be able to get a nice chunk of change selling those to put towards this upgrade as well.

Anyone else in the same boat as me? Can't wait for the new hardware to arrive. Should be great with games like Marvel 1943, GTA VI, Wukong, Fable, and all these other "true" next-gen experience that look to be finally arriving over the next 12-24 months.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Dumb And Dumber GIF

Rocking a 7900X 4090 as my main gaming PC but 100% buying the same specs you mentioned

I want all the frames I can get on this 32" 4k 240hz panel

Last edited:
Nope. Devs haven't proven, to me, that they are capable of creating unique and original experiences worthy of spending so much money on. In truth they'll likely just keep remaking older games with a few extra frame rates in higher resolution instead of making brand new games.

It's because of this that I am not interested in any future systems, outside of maybe Nintendo depending on how they handle future gens. Why spend all that money just to re-play older games? Even in the best of situations they do make something new, it'll still take them the better part of a decade to complete them. By that logic we should all just save money for twenty years down the road, but by then as soon as you buy something, it'll be outdated in two years. Fuck all that shit.

Sethbacca

Going in reverse on my build. Haven't had any real reason to upgrade since I got my 4770k/1070, I've been waiting for the Strix Halo to drop to a mini ITX build that will have more power than what's in my current machine but in a smaller form factor. I play 95% of my games on PS5 anyway and plan to upgrade to the PRO, so paying current PC part premiums seems kind of pointless.

AteBitWolf

Neo Member
I'll go for a 5070 and that'll be the last upgrade for my 3 year old rig. Next pc build will be in 3 more years, at least. I'll always go for top of the line CPU when I build - and a midrange GPU, to keep it all on a decent budget. The 3-4 year cycle has suited me really well for the past 15 years.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Couldn't get a hold of a 4090 so I'm on 4080 right now. Will stick with this for a while though as no current and upcoming games justify upgrading.

Will probably just go for a 4k 144hz+ monitor and a new CPU this year.

//DEVIL//

Your 700$ won't buy you shit. Putting money aside on anticipation.... Reminded me when I was 14 and saving money for the next gen console ... Heh..

Anyway I have 7950x 3d and 4090.

I won't change cpu unless there is a meaningful upgrade in 4k gaming. If 4k is going to be gpu bottleneck only then no need to upgrade. ( Cpu isn't something you upgrade every generation anyway. This is just waste of money )

GPU upgrade.. where are the games ? If you have a 4090, what are the games you going to play this year or next year that a 4090 can't lock at 4k ultra settings with ray tracing ?

Buy a gpu when you actually not getting the performance you want for your screen. Not just to waste money.

I can see Nvidia presentation from now . Look at our gpu 5090 will run call of duty 70% faster than 4090. Which already above 200 frames on a 4090 lol.

The only game they will brag about is wulong monkey man or whatever .how it will run better than 4090.

But in reality there are no games coming by the end of the year that shoots to the moon technology wise.

I hope I am wrong. I hope we get a proper next gen battlefield game this year with stunning graphics that push the limit.

If there are games that makes me upgrade I'll do it just to have the ultimate experience. But I am not buying a card just to get extra frames when I already have more than enough frames than my 144 4k monitor can handle at ultra settings

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
nah, i will have to upgrade my motherboard and likely my case so adding an extra $300-400 on top of a $400 cpu and $1,000 GPU is not my idea of an upgrade.

For $2,000 i can make a pretty fun trip to europe or the carribean so i might do that instead and just buy a ps5 pro.

unless of course the 5070 is equivalent to a 4090 and sells for $800-1000 dollars.

ssringo

I build on alternating generations and a step down from top of the line. Great performance for not crazy prices.

6000 series will be my next build. Or AMD equivalent if they're in a good position.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Your 700$ won't buy you shit. Putting money aside on anticipation.... Reminded me when I was 14 and saving money for the next gen console ... Heh..

Anyway I have 7950x 3d and 4090.

I won't change cpu unless there is a meaningful upgrade in 4k gaming. If 4k is going to be gpu bottleneck only then no need to upgrade. ( Cpu isn't something you upgrade every generation anyway. This is just waste of money )

GPU upgrade.. where are the games ? If you have a 4090, what are the games you going to play this year or next year that a 4090 can't lock at 4k ultra settings with ray tracing ?

Buy a gpu when you actually not getting the performance you want for your screen. Not just to waste money.

I can see Nvidia presentation from now . Look at our gpu 5090 will run call of duty 70% faster than 4090. Which already above 200 frames on a 4090 lol.

The only game they will brag about is wulong monkey man or whatever .how it will run better than 4090.

But in reality there are no games coming by the end of the year that shoots to the moon technology wise.

I hope I am wrong. I hope we get a proper next gen battlefield game this year with stunning graphics that push the limit.

If there are games that makes me upgrade I'll do it just to have the ultimate experience. But I am not buying a card just to get extra frames when I already have more than enough frames than my 144 4k monitor can handle at ultra settings

$700 + the $1200-$1400 I'll get from selling my old GPU/CPU will bring me pretty damn close to having my new parts already paid for.

And yeah, I'm budgeting for a decently large anticipated purchase. Nothing wrong with that!

I mentioned a few games in my OP that I think will push the 4090 to it's limits @4k. I also play PCVR and there's plenty of examples in that space where even today the 4090 struggles; particularly UEVR modded games. And lastly, emulation! PS3/Xbox 360 emulation in particular will see a nice boost with upgraded hardware.

And I do play at 4k/120 when possible, and push for even higher resolutions w/downsampling if my rig can handle it. There's always room for further improvement.

I've been setting aside 100 bucks a month since the start of the year for the 5090. I'm up to $400. Plus my tax refund. Filed my taxes on the 15th and I did not owe Uncle Sam this year. They owe me.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Dumb And Dumber GIF

Rocking a 7900X 4090 as my main gaming PC but 100% buying the same specs you mentioned

I want all the frames I can get on this 32" 4k 240hz panel
Been looking like crazy and outside eBay that panel is back ordered to hell and back

Last edited:

Diddy X

Not really looking for an upgrade, I'm doing fine with my 4070/7600x combo, more fps are always welcome but I don't feel the need to spend the money atm, I might wait for next console gen that is when most videogames make a jump in hardware requeriment.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Been looking like crazy and outside eBay that panel is back ordered to hell and back
Yeah it’s super hard to find any of them in stock.

The $900 MSI one at Best Buy seems to be in stock more than most of the others but that one does not allow firmware updates

Spend the extra $50 and get the one that does allow FW updates if possible

Schmendrick

With the anemic situation of the consoles, i´ll probably stick with my 3080 and 6800x till the next gen comes out.
At least unless game developers start embracing higher end PC specs more.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Yes, I’m doing a whole new build and I’ve been looking forward to it for a long time.
My 10700k + 3090 combo still plays all my games fine in 4K but I’m going to upgrade just because I want to.

Either Intel 15th gen (likely) or the new AMD Zen5 cpus, an RTX 5090, and pcie 5.0 4tb ssd, plus the rest of the system.

I plan to hook the new PC up to my TV and then use my old PC as my daily PC and workstation, and then have 2 PCs moving forward.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Yessir, I'll buy a 5080/5090 and move the 4080 to my wifes PC. Sell the 2080s for whatever i can get.

Cpu i think im still good with the 7800x3d and 5900x

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Im sticking with my 5800x and 6900XT at least in to the next gen of consoles.

yeah but if you have leftover performance, downsampling can be a massive boost to IQ.

it always improves a ton of stuff (e.g. AA, fine detail, distant object rendering), but also produces more detail everywhere, even in 2d interfaces.
i downsampled elden ring from ~6k and first thing i noticed was much more detail in the stuff in the bottom-left of the screen:
ZDM0T2m.png

nkarafo

I'm waiting for the 5060 to be worthwhile this time. If it's not, i hope it will at least cause the price of the 3060 to drop to 200$. Otherwise i will just abandon modern gaming and stick to old games and emulation on my current i5 4670 and 1060. Like i'm doing for a few years now anyway.

rm082e

I'm on a 5800X3D, RTX 3080, and QHD monitor. I've got a horrendous backlog at the moment. I could probably spend the next five years playing through just the games I want to play, much less all the second and third tier stuff that I feel meh about. However, I like buying shit. So I may use "selling my current hardware on ebay while it still has some value" as an excuse to buy new stuff.

I want to see how game engines evolve (or don't) over the next 18 months as we will be in the back half of the PS5 lifespan. If progress slows down and engines aren't pushing PC hardware as hard, it might make more sense to pick up a used 4090 and ride my current config into the dirt. Then I could do a full refresh when the 6000 series cards come out.

Leonidas

GPU yes, I upgrade every GPU gen. Might get a 5080.

CPU probably not, my current CPU is near the top already. At my resolutinon, I'm within 10% of the top right now, pointless for me to upgrade. Probably pointless if I'm still within 20%. I want my next CPU to be around 40% faster.

Upgrading to the fastest gaming CPU every gen seems pointless.

Nah.

I actually regret buying my 4070 Super but couldn’t return it as I traded in the old GPU (well have my old 3060ti to my girlfriend and traded in her 3060 towards the 4070S).

I don’t see any reason to upgrade. The only games I’ve played on PC in the last few months were BF2042 and Delta Force 1/2/LW of which 3:4 can run on a toaster.

I don’t like how expensive PC parts have gotten, and we are a long way from the greatest GPU of all time the 1080ti both quality and price wise.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'd prefer to wait and see what performance gains we would get. The 5090 will tempt me, but I feel I need to restrain myself and let my 4090 last a while.

If the 9800 X3D is cheap, I'll replace my 7800X3D in a hurry.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I want to upgrade my screen too…but I want to keep the high framerate I get with my ultrawide.😭😭😭 4K 240hz IMO won’t be achievable with the majority of games even with a 5090

Last edited:

Hudo

I intend to pick up a 5090, as long as they don't overprice that shit hard. And as long as it has 30 GB RAM.

GreatnessRD

It depends. I'm not too sure yet. I definitely don't need an upgrade for what I play at 1440p and the frames I get. (5800X3D/6800 XT) However, I am tempted at a possible GPU upgrade for my living room build. (3700x/6700 XT) Possibly a 5700X3D as well. I gotta see what Zen5 and Intel look like before I jump all in on the main build though.

Top Bottom