• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone running a PC/Console through an HDMI 2.1 receivers? How has it been? I want to dump my eARC soundbar/

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For all the people with ARC issues. I recently resolved mine with an HDMI 2.1 Audio Extractor. A full HDMI 2.1 4K 120Hz VRR goes to the TV, and an audio only goes to my soundbar's HDMI-in. The audio support is pulled from the audio out port via HDMI-CEC. But HDMI-CEC signals don't go from the TV to the soundbar so I don't have volume support with the TV remote.

Before doing this I was using eARC as the soundbar is HDMI 2.0, not 2.1, I'd get audio dropouts every 20 minutes or so. And having things identified and working after power on wasn't a given. Now everything just happily works.

This is what I ended up getting, there are non-switch versions. I have a PC, PS5, and XSX and a single HDMI 2.1 on the TV. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CDGZSB71/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Non-switch versions?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Thanks.
So turns out there's a version of Atmos that uses the lossy DD+ codec instead of TrueHD codec.
That's why you're still able to get Atmos with ARC on the N950.

How did I not know this earlier 😂.
Because Dolby never mentions it. DD+ is very good and has come a long way since the HD-DVD days. The format died once Blu-ray won only to return when streaming. It was too hard to justify 4-5Mbps of audio data, but TrueHD is still better.

SScorpio

$90! Damn.
HDMI 2.0 models that will do 4K 60hz are ~1/2 the price, but the top-of-the-line is normally expensive. When I first started researching a fix for the problem I was having I was looking at the new HDMI 2.1 Matrix that just came out and they were $500-600, now a year later they are $180. So prices do come down. But that $90 could let you fully utilize your new TV and old sound equipment saving you $400 or even more.

I have a flagship Samsung tv and a midrange Samsung soundbar. No pronenscwith sounds or VRR. Everything works fine via eARC.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
5.1.2 running on an LGC1 with a Denon x2700H. Been good except it's the first Gen and doesn't pass through everything. I have the Shield Pro going direct for all media needs and PS5 is fine but if I put my PC in, it can't do the full suite of HDMI 2.1 features if I recall. No issues with latency though. Between the TV, Shield, and AVR options, it can be fine tuned and adjusted.

dave_d

HDMI 2.0 models that will do 4K 60hz are ~1/2 the price, but the top-of-the-line is normally expensive. When I first started researching a fix for the problem I was having I was looking at the new HDMI 2.1 Matrix that just came out and they were $500-600, now a year later they are $180. So prices do come down. But that $90 could let you fully utilize your new TV and old sound equipment saving you $400 or even more.
Thanks for the info. I've got an AVR that doesn't do 2.1 so I've been trying eArc. I've just started using it and I guess I'll see if I have issues. (If so guess I'll pick that extractor up.) I did have an issue where using CEC would cause the TV (LG C9) to switch constantly so I shut it off.

Demigod Mac

Denon X3800H here, and it's absolutely fantastic. Zero regrets. PS5, Switch and XBSX all working flawlessly on its HDMI 2.1 ports.
Upgraded +2 channels with an external amp, firing on every cylinder with a 7.4.4 speaker config.
(I'd go so far as to say it's a superior aural experience compared to most movie theaters, aside from IMAX and Dolby Cinema.)

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Denon X3800H here, and it's absolutely fantastic. Zero regrets. PS5, Switch and XBSX all working flawlessly on its HDMI 2.1 ports.
Upgraded +2 channels with an external amp, firing on every cylinder with a 7.4.4 speaker config.
(I'd go so far as to say it's a superior aural experience compared to most movie theaters, aside from IMAX and Dolby Cinema.)
It is an infinitely better experience than my old LG eARC soundbar.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So far so good. The Onkyo 6050 seems to be the real deal. I only had 1 dropout while playing Spider-Man on PS5.

Roku was giving me issues but it seems like giving it a better cable fixed it, despite not needing a 48GBps cable.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Got an old Sony 7.2 receiver. I just run an optical cable from my tv with pass through to it and that seems to be the best overall experience.

Got to say though I like my Bose soundbar in my living room better. Though I also use optical from tv with that as well.

jlethal27

Neo Member
Hey question guys. What are your thoughts between the Denon S970H vs X1800H. Is there a big difference between the two? I've heard the X is Better than the S.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Got an old Sony 7.2 receiver. I just run an optical cable from my tv with pass through to it and that seems to be the best overall experience.

Got to say though I like my Bose soundbar in my living room better. Though I also use optical from tv with that as well.
You do realize that an optical cable doesn't carry full lossless audio, right? They still sound good, but if you spent the $$$ on a 7.2 receiver you should be taking full advantage of lossless audio.

I really wish optical audio could carry the full bandwidth of Atmos/DTS:X/TrueHD/DTS:MA it would make many of these setups that much easier.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So far so good. The Onkyo 6050 seems to be the real deal. I only had 1 dropout while playing Spider-Man on PS5.

Roku was giving me issues but it seems like giving it a better cable fixed it, despite not needing a 48GBps cable.
The Roku and this receiver simply don't play nice with eachother. I kept getting HDCP error messages. I replaced it with an Firestick 4K Max and so far all seems good, but I am trying to get used to the interface.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You do realize that an optical cable doesn't carry full lossless audio, right? They still sound good, but if you spent the $$$ on a 7.2 receiver you should be taking full advantage of lossless audio.

I really wish optical audio could carry the full bandwidth of Atmos/DTS:X/TrueHD/DTS:MA it would make many of these setups that much easier.
I know but after years of buying new equipment it got to a point where it just didn’t matter for me anymore.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My home thearer setup. I 've got a spot for my PC when I want to play in the living room.
awDTveA.jpg
YyfRkwI.jpg

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I run hdmi 2.1 to my tv then an hdmi cable to my receiver with 5.1 speaker set up. The only issue I have is audio delay with people speaking. When playing Atari 50 or making of karateka there is a lip sync issue that I cannot figure out. It is there when I watch cbs on YouTube tv with the LG app.

I don’t really know what causes it.

Top Bottom