• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple HomeKit OT | Apple invents the Home

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
homeKitHero.png

Welcome to the HomeKit OT!

What Is HomeKit?
HomeKit is Apple's iOS based home automation system. All you need to get started is a single iOS device (iPhone or iPad) and a single "connected device". A lightbulb, thermostat, etc. Using the Home app on your iPhone/iPad you can then control your connected device. Turn on/off the lights, set the temperature on your furnace/cooling, etc all from your phone.

Meh, is that all? What else can I do?
Scenes
Scenes are the top way you will interact with your smart home. A scene is a collection of devices and behaviors that you setup. So you can create a good morning scene that opens the shades, sets the thermostat to a range of 69-76°, turns on the kitchen lights to 50% and cool daylight color temp, and turns on the coffee maker outlet. You would then just tap the scene to do all of the above in one action. Or you can simply say "Hey Siri, Good Morning" and she'll turn the scene on for you. Virtually any device can be added to a scene.

DtKBtuz.jpg

Automation
Yeah, turning the lights on and off with your phone is clever.. but where the power of any home automation comes in is in that second word.. AUTOMATION. With an Apple TV (4th gen or 4K) or an iPad that you keep at home, you can setup automation programs. These can be based on time of day, day of week, when a certain device is controlled, and now with iOS 11 can even be an offset from sunrise or sunset (up to an hour in either direction), AND can also be based on geofencing of family members.. specifically when the first person arrives, when anyone arrives, when anyone leaves, and when the last person leaves.

So you could set it up such that when the first person arrives, and it is between sunset and sunrise, turn on the back entry way light so you aren't walking into a dark house. Or, when the last person leaves lock the doors and shut off the lights.

Now when you think about using automation to automatically set scenes that you created above, hopefully you start to see where the power of smart homes comes in to play.

What types of devices are available?
Here are the accessory types enumerated from the HomeKit API. Categories with a * can be controlled with Siri voice commands.

Door/Window (open close)
Door Lock *
Fan *
Garage Door *
IP Camera
Lightbulb *
Outlet *
Programmable Switch *
Security System
Sensor
Switch *
Thermostat *
Video Doorbell
Window Covering

Most devices (including those not able to be controlled through Siri) can have their status checked through Siri. So you can say "Hey Siri, are any windows open at home" and she should report if any windows are open.

What about third party apps?
Third party apps are a bit hit or miss. Apple does not hold requirements for device's apps to be 100% integrated with HomeKit.. only to expose the devices based on one of the categories above. This can lead to different features being available for the device depending on if you are using it in the Home app, or if you are using it in the device's app.

There is a third party Home app which is in fact VERY good. It costs $15 on the app store, and essentially allows for automation on steroids. You can combine a seemingly endless number of criteria/checks to control the devices, and also gain access to devices/features that are otherwise not exposed through the first party Home app (for instance I had white ambience controls on my Hue bulbs before it was available in the default Home app. I also have access to my ecobee sensors, something I don't have in Home).

What's the future looks like?
As mentioned, iOS 11 just dropped adding new device type categories as well as new criteria for automation (the geofencing has been a long time coming and most are ecstatic it's finally here).

This December(?) HomePod is also coming. Presumably (partly mentioned by apple) there will be HomeKit integration. It's assumed that anything you can control with Siri on your phone will be able to be controlled with Siri on HomePod. What isn't known yet is if HomePod will be able to be used as an automation hub. This almost certainly depends on if it includes Bluetooth or not, for controlling BT devices.

How does this compare to Alexa?
I know very little about Alexa.. Here are the differences I understand. (I will 100% update this upon corrections)

1. Unified remote access. Alexa provides no remote access to your home by default. You probably have remote access through individual devices and apps, but not through Alexa collectively. With HomeKit and a Home Hub (again, Apple TV or iPad at home), you by default gain remote access to every device in your home, regardless of manufacturer or app.

2. Encryption. Remember mirai botnet? Unfortunately security is pretty much an after thought in most IoT devices/platforms. HomeKit REQUIRES end to end encryption for all devices. This was previously a problem as this encryption was performed by a custom chip that Apple required all manufacturers to by from them. As of this year, Apple has now allowed encryption to be handled through software. The response has been tremendous, with many vendors vowing to add HomeKit support to existing devices through firmware updates.

3. Automation. As I understand it (someone please correct me!!!!) automation on the Alexa platform is very DIY and heavily based around ifttt.com programs. This carries the upside of being ridiculously extensible.. more extensible than HomeKit really.. However it also means spending more time figuring out how to get your particular automation to work. With HomeKit your automation is identical for every device/manufacturer. It also means you can set multiple devices under a single scene with no third party effort.

4. Geofencing. Again this was just added in iOS 11 and is huge. Alexa with extensive ifttt.com programs and custom apps installed can perform this. On HomeKit, anyone you've invited to access your home is automatically available in all genofencing, which is handled right through the Home app.

I already have Alexa/Google/SmartThings/etc. What are my options?
Typically devices are polled/controlled by the platform, not hard linked to the platform. What this means is that most devices you can have visible/available in multiple platforms. You can have your ecobee thermostat available in or controlled by Alexa, HomeKit and SmartThings all at the same time. Probably not ideal, but there may be some cases where one platform gives you a feature that another doesn't. Or especially useful if you are looking to migrate from one platform to another, knowing you can do it over time.

Ok, where can I get started?
Some of the more popular device manufacturers (will add links based on suggestions!!):

Philips Hue (lighting)
Elgato Eve (sensors and outlets)
Chamberlin MyQ (garage door opener)
Ecobee (Thermostats)
August (door locks and video doorbells)
Lutron (window shades)

Home app: http://hochgatterer.me/home/
More advanced automation features than the built-in app.

HomeKitty: https://homekitty.world
Crowd-sourced list of HomeKit devices.

borghe

I tried to add my Nest to it. Doesn't work so fuck it, wake me up when ”it just works"

hint: nest is google. google has their own platform. nest (google) will never let their products work with homekit (apple). this is google's decision, not apple's.

Burger

hint: nest is google. google has their own platform. nest (google) will never let their products work with homekit (apple). this is google's decision, not apple's.

Yeah that makes as much sense to me as saying sorry, you can’t use your headphones with your iPhone because they are not iPhone headphones.

What if got lightbulbs that work with HomeKit but then I get an Android phone and yeah shit I gotta go buy new lightbulbs and call a locksmith? This stuff is all retarded until it actually works together.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For the automation part, it feels more akin to Samsung SmartThings which I have, rather than the more limited Alexa. Alexa can control lots of things directly (mine can turn on my WeMo switches, change my Nest temperature, and turn on/off hue lights). But smart things can do more complex automation

Eg I just got a notification that my front door is open - because I have a door sensor fitted and if it is open for more than 5 mins it notifies me. Or things like ‘everyone leaves’ and ‘someone arrives’ which we use to turn lights on/off and arm motion detectors/Arlo cameras

I avoided HomeKit because the automation needs a hub - which can be an Apple TV or iPad but I don’t use an Apple TV anymore and my iPad isn’t always at home. Hopefully HomePod may fill that role

Peltz

I don't see myself ever doing this, but I could see this being very useful for elderly individuals, and/or wheel chair bound and/or physically challenged people who may not have the physical means to perform these types of functions in their home.

borghe

Yeah that makes as much sense to me as saying sorry, you can’t use your headphones with your iPhone because they are not iPhone headphones.

What if got lightbulbs that work with HomeKit but then I get an Android phone and yeah shit I gotta go buy new lightbulbs and call a locksmith? This stuff is all retarded until it actually works together.
Almost everything compatible with HomeKit is compatible with most other platforms as well. Every place above I mention “the device’s app” means you can control all of it outside of HomeKit.

What you get specifically from HomeKit is
1. Unified application for control. Instead of needing to go into a different app for every device, you control all of them from the same app
2. Unified automation. Most devices’ apps will let you automate the device. What you get here is a single automation that can control multiple independent devices.

Ultimately HomeKit doesn’t have to be compatible with Alexa which doesn’t have to be compatible with Google Home. So long as the devices you buy are compatibile with all of them. Which most are.

Your example pointed out what is essentially a first party device not working on a competitors platform. Conversely there are probably a dozen other thermostats which will work on all of the platforms.

All of my gear is Alexa and Siri compatible at the moment. I used to be big on Alexa but with iOS 11 I've found Siri getting heaps better at doing the job. Homekit being all local is obscenely fast compared to Alexa going out to the website, hitting the API, then waiting for the lights to catch up.

But I'm definitely used to having a smart home now.

wachie

I have smartthings hub and a lot of devices (including ecobee) setup using it. Is there a way to integrate it into HomeKit?

Are all devices independently linked to the homekit? How does it work?

borghe

I have smartthings hub and a lot of devices (including ecobee) setup using it. Is there a way to integrate it into HomeKit?

Are all devices independently linked to the homekit? How does it work?

yes they could be linked to HomeKit and any other platform at the same time. So your ecobee could be setup in both HomeKit and SmartThings and could be controlled by either platform.

edit - this is actually a good thing to add to the OP.

Giolon

Lurton also makes light switches and smart outlet plugs. My friend has some and he loves them and is constantly telling me I should get some of my own. They're called Caseta.

Edit - what is people's experience with Elgato's HomeKit products? I'm kind of interested in the room and weather sensors.

borghe

Lurton also makes light switches and smart outlet plugs. My friend has some and he loves them and is constantly telling me I should get some of my own. They’re called Caseta.

Edit - what is people's experience with Elgato's HomeKit products? I’m kind of interested in the room and weather sensors.

honestly, they're great.. the ONLY catch being that they are purely bluetooth. So for HomeKit and Home specifically, you'll want to make sure they are within range your iPad or Apple TV if you want remote access or automation.

I have both the weather sensor and an outlet. They also let you define your outlet which I liked. So you can expose it to your automation platform as a light, fan or outlet.

wachie

yes they could be linked to HomeKit and any other platform at the same time. So your ecobee could be setup in both HomeKit and SmartThings and could be controlled by either platform.

edit - this is actually a good thing to add to the OP.
I'm asking about things that are controlled by smartthings. It's very cumbersome to have all your devices talk to a phone rather than a hub.

borghe

I'm asking about things that are controlled by smartthings. It's very cumbersome to have all your devices talk to a phone rather than a hub.

a way to integrate the hub? no. SmartThings is Samsung's automation platform competing directly with HomeKit. SmartThings is to HomeKit as Android is to iOS. Both are complete home automation platforms that are not compatible (same as Alexa, Google Home, etc)

By adding those devices (individually) to HomeKit, HomeKit basically acts as a software hub. All of the devices show up in Home (like the top picture you see). At that point you could control them with either Siri or Samsung as you wished.

wachie

a way to integrate the hub? no. SmartThings is Samsung's automation platform competing directly with HomeKit. SmartThings is to HomeKit as Android is to iOS. Both are complete home automation platforms that are not compatible (same as Alexa, Google Home, etc)

By adding those devices (individually) to HomeKit, HomeKit basically acts as a software hub. All of the devices show up in Home (like the top picture you see). At that point you could control them with either Siri or Samsung as you wished.
Thanks for the explanation. I'll stick to smartthings then, hardware hub > software hub and I dont have to be in the range of these smart devices to actually control them. The hardware hub just offers so much more flexibility that it's not even funny.

borghe

Thanks for the explanation. I'll stick to smartthings then, hardware hub > software hub and I dont have to be in the range of these smart devices to actually control them. The hardware hub just offers so much more flexibility that it's not even funny.
Just wanted to say (it’s in the OP) that an Apple TV or iPad gives you those features (remote access and automation programs). It sounds like you are good with what you have, but if you were interested in looking at other capabilities of HomeKit it can definitely do everything SmartThinga can and more. But yeah you would essentially be migrating to a new platform (or running two platforms concurrently)

Poetaster

Banned
The latest LIFX light bulbs got a HomeKit firmware upgrade this past week, everything’s working fine for me except for changing the brightness with scenes. It changes the brightness number in Home but the bulbs actual brightness will remain the same.

borghe

The latest LIFX light bulbs got a HomeKit firmware upgrade this past week, everything’s working fine for me except for changing the brightness with scenes. It changes the brightness number in Home but the bulbs actual brightness will remain the same.

Are they WiFi or bluetooth?

wachie

Just wanted to say (it’s in the OP) that an Apple TV or iPad gives you those features (remote access and automation programs). It sounds like you are good with what you have, but if you were interested in looking at other capabilities of HomeKit it can definitely do everything SmartThinga can and more. But yeah you would essentially be migrating to a new platform (or running two platforms concurrently)
Sorry but no. You can literally code and program your own routines/sub-routines and what not in smartthings. You can do less with HomeKit, it's just more simpler that its within the iOS ecosystem. The smartthings will still be in it's own app so there are things that you could do with Siri and HomeKit but not Siri and Smartthings (atleast not yet). No problem as I've got a Google Home and a smartthings hub doing exactly that and more.

borghe

Sorry but no. You can literally code and program your own routines/sub-routines and what not in smartthings.

you can in HomeKit as well. The $15 Home app (from a third party. linked in OP) is a great example. There is also a server (open source) called Homebridge that gives you further extensible capabilities as well as bridging in (hence the name) devices that are not natively compatible with HomeKit. Finally, if there is some functionality missing, you can always write your own app and sideload it to your Apple TV or iOS device without a developer account. It definitely sounds like you're good to go. Just wanted to clear some of that up. The HomeKit platform is (finally finally finally) in a really great place as far as capabilities.

They use WiFi and work without needing a bridge.

ah.. k, that's weird then.

wachie

you can in HomeKit as well. The $15 Home app (from a third party. linked in OP) is a great example. There is also a server (open source) called Homebridge that gives you further extensible capabilities as well as bridging in (hence the name) devices that are not natively compatible with HomeKit. Finally, if there is some functionality missing, you can always write your own app and sideload it to your Apple TV or iOS device without a developer account. It definitely sounds like you're good to go. Just wanted to clear some of that up. The HomeKit platform is (finally finally finally) in a really great place as far as capabilities.
That sounds promising, it's news to me so thanks for pointing it out.

giga

HomeKit support added for Hue tap, dimmer, and motion sensor:

- Apple HomeKit compatibility for Hue accessories
Philips Hue is extending its Apple HomeKit compatibility for Hue accessories: Hue tap, Hue dimmer switch and Hue motion sensor. Meaning with a press of a button, or movement of your body, you can activate your favorite Apple Home app scenes. To set up automations, you need an Apple TV (4th generation) with tvOS 10 or an iPad with iOS 10 or later.

jts

...hate me...
Love this. Been into Homekit since iOS 10. Have a bunch of Hue stuff, and a couple of Elgato Eve outlets.

Would love to integrate the heating but I don't know how to. Door lock is also a pipe dream.

Unfortunately the amount of Homekit products hasn't grown as fast and steadily as I'd hope to. But hopefully the new software-based certification can help.

I can't believe I still can't find something of this sort for a dirty Europlug/Schucko:

It's an outdoor outlet. iDevices only make it for US plugs.

borghe

Heating there are both thermostats (ecobee is objectively the best but also most expensive for the sensor version), and radiator valves that are HomeKit compatible.

Actually the Philips update and our overhead light burning out in the bathroom has me ordering the Philips motion sensor today. Setting it up behind the door and creating a HomeKit automation for:

Motion after sunset and before 11pm = 100%
Motion after 11pm and before sunrise = 1%

In both cases turn off the light after like 2mins.

Should make the bathroom switch free. Otherwise I can add a Hue switch. I sort of don’t want to change the overhead bulb simply because the sink is ,ore than enough light and more useful than the overhead for lighting while using the mirror.

Top Bottom