• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music has surpassed Spotify subscribers in the US

CyberPanda

Banned
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/04/05/wsj-apple-music-spotify-us/

Apple Music has surpassed Spotify's paid subscriber count in the United States, according to sources familiar with the matter who spoke with The Wall Street Journal. The shift reportedly happened earlier in 2019; Apple had more than 28 million U.S. subscribers in February compared to Spotify's 26 million paid U.S. subscribers.

Similar news broke last summer from an industry source, but now months later the WSJ is corroborating the report. According to the paper, Apple Music has been adding subscribers "more rapidly" than Spotify, with a monthly growth rate of 2.6 to 3 percent, compared to 1.5 to 2 percent for Spotify.

Apple Music is starting to see growth in areas outside the United States as well:
Apple Music is growing faster globally—at a rate of about 2.4% to 2.8%, compared with Spotify’s 2% to 2.3%—and the gap is starting to close in other markets outside the U.S., according to the people familiar with the numbers.​
The numbers reported today refer only to paying subscribers and exclude any user on the Apple Music three-month free trial or the Spotify ad-supported subscription tier. If the figures did include the free tiers, Spotify does have many more users overall in the United States.

In February 2018, the WSJ predicted that Apple Music would soon overtake Spotify in the U.S., but thanks to Spotify's numerous bundle offerings with Hulu and Showtime, Spotify remained in the lead for a while longer. Apple Music does offer discounts for families and students, but has yet to partner with another streaming video company to offer a bundle like Spotify.

Apple has become increasingly focused on its services business in recent years, given their high profitability thanks to monthly and/or yearly subscription costs. Apple Music debuted in 2015 at $9.99/month, but the company also offers iCloud storage at various price levels, and just launched Apple News+ at $9.99/month. Later in 2019, users will have a chance to sign up for Apple Arcade and Apple TV+, both of which have not yet been given price points.

CyberPanda

Banned
Didn't want to make another thread but:

Apple Music Subscription Prices Slashed in India

Apple has cut the price of all Apple Music plans in India, in a move apparently aimed at fending off rival streaming services like Spotify and YouTube Music, both of which recently launched in the country within the last month.

Apple Music is now being offered for Rs 99 ($1.43) a month, down from the earlier price of Rs 120 ($1.73).

Likewise, a student membership now costs Rs 49 instead of Rs 60, while a family plan has dropped from Rs 190 to Rs 149. Yearly subscriptions meanwhile cost Rs 999 rather than the earlier price of Rs 1,200.

The new price of an Apple Music membership undercuts both Spotify and YouTube Music, whose monthly premium plans start at Rs 119 and Rs 129, respectively.

India is seen as an untapped market for streaming music services, with a population of 1.3 billion people many of whom are only just becoming active internet users.

Home to a thriving and varied multi-lingual music scene, the country already has several local streaming services like JioSaavn and Gaana, but with the big international players making their debut in the country, competition appears to be hotting up.

TimFL

Now all they need is a better desktop client (and a web one for people at work), handoff support and proper discovery/personalized playlists and they are on par with Spotify.
Tried their new themed playlists they added a while ago, they're really good imho. They really stepped up their game in terms of "Browse" tab playlist offering. Now if only the top 100 list of my country wasn't just a gigantic collection of mediocre gangster rap, but I guess my country simply has horrible taste in music.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Somewhat surprised, but Apple has a nice advantage in that it can push the service hard to anyone using an iPhone.

Launch their Music app and try not to sign up for Apple Music. "pie_tears_joy:

I have both and I have noticed no difference between what is available. I have been thinking about making the switch to Apple Music entirely because it's slightly cheaper.

Last edited:

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
I like having clean versions of songs available.

EDIT: to add, they do more work on a lot of songs I've encountered with radio edits... down to the mix. Usually for the better, and I thus have to have it.

Last edited:
Why so angry
giphy.gif

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It's simply a better service. iTunes is clunky in terms of performance but navigating Spotify fucking sucks. Spotify also far more heavily relies on user-curated stuff, which is really hit or miss, but the professionally curated selections that Apple throws together are pretty good and they even have some that they keep updated so if you don't want something as wide as a radio station you don't have to go searching around for a fresh list in the particular style or mood you want. Seamlessly integrating with iPhone is also an obvious benefit for anyone who has one.

TTOOLL

I'll try Apple Music someday, maybe. I was a Spotify user for a long time but cut the cord when I subscribed to YouTube Premium.

Despite not having Radiohead available nor syncing between devices, I find it better than Spotify already, simply because of their curated playlists and recommendations.

They are really on point. Spotify recommendations were crap, I got tired of seeing them pushing artists/genres I'd never listened.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I'll try Apple Music someday, maybe. I was a Spotify user for a long time but cut the cord when I subscribed to YouTube Premium.

Despite not having Radiohead available nor syncing between devices, I find it better than Spotify already, simply because of their curated playlists and recommendations.

They are really on point. Spotify recommendations were crap, I got tired of seeing them pushing artists/genres I'd never listened.
Google play doesn’t have Radiohead for you?

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I don't use google play, never subscribed to it. I didn't even know it still existed.

I just downloaded it and yes, all their albums are there. Thanks, mate!!
lol ok. i was wondering if it had different content in different countries or something

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Spotify's library is lit though, meaning that it will always feel more full. Apple's feels more professional (as someone hinted to above).

Top Bottom