• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archie Comics reveals Sonic the Hedgehog Origin Story Arc (Classic Sonic Design Used)

RK128

I know I said I would stop posting in Sonic threads or topics on NeoGaf, and I will continue to do so after posting this thread. But I had to share this considering how it might impact the future games & media announced for Sonic's anniversary and just in general how the IP is being used.

Archie Comics announced that they will be making a new Sonic comic telling the origin story on the Blue Blur, but using his Classic Design.
Code:
[IMG]http://segabits.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/CmCwi7XXIAE6RZF-750x1153.jpg[/IMG]

Source: http://segabits.com/blog/2016/06/28...arc-could-classic-sonic-be-making-a-comeback/

What makes this interesting? Consider how Sonic Mega Drive was announced, a comic that was confirmed to be getting a sequel issue telling a story of Classic Sonic fighting Metal Sonic.

SEGA Bits suggested that SEGA lifted the ban on using Classic Sonic designs in other media outside of the Genesis games (citing the Archie Comics as an example). Meaning, this could extend to the games themselves. Here is a quote under the speculation section of the article they put out.

"SEGA has lifted the ban on classic Sonic and friends (and enemies) appearing in the comics and Archie is playing with the idea of making “Sonic: Mega Drive” an ongoing series. The main series arc “Genesis of a Hero” might serve as a bridge between the video game character-only exploits of “Sonic: Mega Drive” and the ongoing series, giving classic Sonic his own stories that cater to video game fans and Modern (Archie Reboot) Sonic his own stories that cater to all fans including those of the comics. Another possibility is that “Genesis of a Hero” will serve as an adaptation of the Genesis trilogy. Archie has done this before, with “Sonic Genesis” for the 20th anniversary, however this was a brief trip to an alternate reality where the Saturday morning characters joined Sonic in an adaptation of the first two Genesis games before snapping back to the old comics continuity. SEGA has already shown that they are not holding back any longer on using classic Sonic, as seen in the 25th Anniversary logo and the tons of merchandise incoming. Could SEGA be on the verge of making classic Sonic a branch just as Sonic Boom is a branch off of the franchise? No doubt classic Sonic merch, including comics, would sell very well – far better than Sonic Boom. End speculation."

What are you guys thoughts on this possibility? Classic Sonic has been in a lot of the promotional art and material for the anniversary thus far. I would honestly be excited to see a new game having some Classic Sonic-inspired art or him being a unlockable skin or playable character in Boom Fire & Ice this year for example :).

JB2448

404 for me. Also from the little I've dabbled in comics I don't think more than one origin story is really all that uncommon.

He meant to link to http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(promotional_comic), but the closing parenthesis doesn't register as part of the URL by default for whatever reason.

Classic Sonic design has always struck as more iconic than his modern designs (they seem to have a lot less potential to age gracefully), so this is a welcome move by Sega if they're allowing the classic design to be used by licensees again.

L Thammy

I would honestly be excited to see a new game having some Classic Sonic-inspired art or him being a unlockable skin or playable character in Boom Fire & Ice this year for example :).

What if the released remakes of Sonic 2006 and Shadow the Hedgehog
but with classic-style designs instead

(Maybe the next Sonic game will use the classic visual style, but with the same sort of gameplay we've come to expect from modern Sonic games. Seems like a realistic idea.)

NZerker12

No, I do not want to see Classic Sonic kiss a human and be associated witth those games.

Yes, I know he had a human girlfriend in the original concept art, but thankfully they never went with it.

Luigi87

RK128

Going to make one exception as I need to respond to a few comments.

(Maybe the next Sonic game will use the classic visual style, but with the same sort of gameplay we've come to expect from modern Sonic games. Seems like a realistic idea.)

Sonic Boom Fire & Ice will not be a bad game; got positive reception at E3 and the Boom name is being used only to promote the TV show. It won't be a bad game, thus I felt Classic being an unlockable skin is a nice gesture to celebrate the anniversary. I am sorry if the idea is a bad one however.

Why? Did something happen?

I am sick and tired of the toxic community here sometimes, so I decided to not post any future Platforming Retrospectives I have in the works (Klona, Rayman, Super Mario, Kirby, ect) outside of the ones I have running now (Spyro, Ratchet, Mega Man) and to avoid posting in future Sonic the Hedgehog Threads or topics.

I only made this thread as this IS major news and something Sonic fans on NeoGaf should be aware of. At least, I feel so anyway.

that is a great cover

classic sonic for new sanic game confirmed

I honestly feel the anniversary game is a big Classic Sonic game with all the promotional art and stuff hinting at that, though I could easily see a new game using the Modern formula (Lost World or Generations) get announced as well.

Why are you not posting in sonic threads?

I explained this already in this post, but the community is toxic, so going to avoid posing a lot.

L Thammy

No, I do not want to see Classic Sonic kiss a human and be associated witth those games.

Yes, I know he had a human girlfriend in the original concept art, but thankfully they never went with it.

But where would you stand on Dr. Robotnik

kmuiv.png

being murdered by this guy;

L Thammy

Sonic Boom Fire & Ice will not be a bad game; got positive reception at E3 and the Boom name is being used only to promote the TV show. It won't be a bad game, thus I felt Classic being an unlockable skin is a nice gesture to celebrate the anniversary. I am sorry if the idea is a bad one however.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get my joke confused with my serious comment. I didn't mean "modern" as in "broken", I meant similar to what we've seen from Lost World or Colours and its follow-ups. Speaking for the unannounced next Sonic game.

SMG

We already have an origin comic. He was a normally colored hedgehog who ran faster than other animals. Robotnic was called something else and gave him cool running shoes... there was an egg in a fridge at some point. Then sonic was being tested on a hamster wheel and ran so fast everything blew up... he became blue and nobotnic got all messed up and obsessed with eggs for some reason.

Chao

Oh and it's the real Sonic, not that American ugly AF Sonic from the 90s.

Cover looks great at least

That's a pretty amazing cover, seems like it just came through a time portal from the early nineties. I say this as the sincerest compliment, it looks exactly like the art style for the Megadrive covers!

MAtgS

That looks awesome and all, but Sega really had a ban on using Classic Sonic?? That's crazy.

Sega has some silly freaking restrictions they put on the comics nowadays, like the world can't have a name at all. Not Mobius, not Earth, not some newly made up name, just "Sonic's World". Cities, countries & continents can still have names but not the planet.

Memory

Wasn't this covered in one of the og shows? I distinctly remember a brown sonic back in the day, maybe it was a comic or something.

Zubz

Banned
Hasn't Archie done an origin story for their Sonic, like, twice?

Besides, it's Sonic. Out of all the characters that don't need an origin story, he's pretty high up on the list.

EDIT: That said, I do think it's pretty cool that SEGA's no longer reserving Classic Sonic designs for special occasions only. I like that design better, so I'll be happy to see it get more love.

I dont really get the super love for classic sonic. Sure hes cute, but i feel both designs are on par with each other.

I understand that they changed the character regarding modern sonic and making him too cool for school, but i dont really have issues with it.

This takes me back. As a kid I collected Sonic Comics. I still have the first issue.
latest

Wooow takes me back seeing this. Same situation, used to collect those and still have them all. I remember being really really hyped for the Super Sonic vs. Hyper Knuckles issue haha.

On topic, I think this bodes well for a new game featuring Classic Sonic (whether that be Generations 2 or something new). Playing the classic sections in Generations made me feel like a kid again playing through the Genesis games - hopefully they will build on that.

Sad to hear you won't be doing any more retrospectives RK128 :(. I really enjoyed all the Sonic threads, but respect your decision on not doing anymore.

Classic Sonic is a brilliant and attractive design. New sonic is an abominable mess.

Didn't know that Mega Drive comic came out. Where can I get it?

Classic Sonic is best Sonic. It's the way Sonic should have always looked.

I like his model in the original DC version of Sonic Adventure.

sonicsm.jpg

Besides the green eyes (which aren't that noticeable in-game anyway) he doesn't really look that far off from his classic look, he's just a bit taller and his spines are longer, both of which look better for a 3rd person camera 3D platforming game like SA.

Was never a fan of the DX model, though. Looks too glossy.

2eSnPhll.jpg

Top Bottom