• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are games really diverse anymore?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
SJW CANCER infiltrated our gaming world, forget the triple AAA games and exclusives they are all political I think you should focus on indie titles and especially going next gen o hope ms and Sony give a chance to indie games like they did with the x360 arcade,
I remember playing multitudes of unknown great games on the ps2 and switching disks every hour to try new games and new adventures from 007 everything or nothing to jack and Dexter and time splitters to crimson sky I miss those days nowadays you put on a game and start feeling sorry for SJWS and a select group of people,
Thing is we built these companies we built this industry but after they made money from us from selling us great games and art, they've become rich and arrogant enough to not give a fuck and fuck us sideways with political SJW games, company like naughty dog they started with great games like crash and Jack n Dexter to uncharted n after making them rich now theyve decided to show their true colours

Do you have any specific examples of "SJW" games or trends? I see people complaining about this sometimes but it's usually about a female protagonist or treating some LGBT character with regular decency rather than derision. I'd like to know what liberal scourge is invading the games you play,

I am seriously not trying to be a smart ass, I just want to understand where you're coming from.

Do you have any specific examples of "SJW" games or trends? I see people complaining about this sometimes but it's usually about a female protagonist or treating some LGBT character with regular decency rather than derision. I'd like to know what liberal scourge is invading the games you play,

I am seriously not trying to be a smart ass, I just want to understand where you're coming from.
The fact that they forcefully made you get best by a woman in ue4 and uncharteds director called it women empowerment! The fact that they toned down kratos in god of war because he was more masculine and rough in the past, they media also hated days gone gave it low review scores for having a straight male lead and kissing his girl also they criticised god of war 1 because u could fuck girls in the harem and praised last of us 2 for having a lesbian kissing another lesbian and praised mass effect for its LGBT sex inclusions, hate it or love it there is a big witch hunt for men out there

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The fact that they forcefully made you get best by a woman in ue4 and uncharteds director called it women empowerment! The fact that they toned down kratos in god of war because he was more masculine and rough in the past, they media also hated days gone gave it low review scores for having a straight male lead and kissing his girl also they criticised god of war 1 because u could fuck girls in the harem and praised last of us 2 for having a lesbian kissing another lesbian and praised mass effect for its LGBT sex inclusions, hate it or love it there is a big witch hunt for men out there
This doesn't make any sense to me, how exactly makes new God of War "SJW"!!? I hate this obsesion with political correctness in modern western gaming culture as much as the next guy but I'm also equally getting annoyed by people calling every little thing as "SJW agenda".

My biggest issue is both side are actively looking for to get offended by anything, it starting becoming really tiring and damn right annoying.

Kagey K

Banned
I am actually curious what people think Kojima's next game should / will be....

Do you think he will stay on the arty / more creative side OR

Will he make something mainstream next to shore up his finances going forward?
I’d like to see him decide to make a fun game first and worry about the cutscenes/usual Kojima crap after.

My son was talking to me the other day after we watched Samba De Amigo and The Three Caballeros, that he feels today’s animation takes itself too seriously and grounds itself in reality instead of getting fantastical like those old movies did.

I kind of feel like gaming has gone the same route a bit. You are only limited by your imagination, but so many games decide to play it safe and go with the tried and true method of getting you from checkpoint to checkpoint, that it feels like they all start treading the same water.

It’s one of the reasons I liked Nier:Automata so much it changed genres a few times during the game.

Now whoever does this has to do it well, or it could end up a big flop, but if done correctly it could bend games going forward.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I’d like to see him decide to make a fun game first and worry about the cutscenes/usual Kojima crap after.

My son was talking to me the other day after we watched Samba De Amigo and The Three Caballeros, that he feels today’s animation takes itself too seriously and grounds itself in reality instead of getting fantastical like those old movies did.

I kind of feel like gaming has gone the same route a bit. You are only limited by your imagination, but so many games decide to play it safe and go with the tried and true method of getting you from checkpoint to checkpoint, that it feels like they all start treading the same water.

It’s one of the reasons I liked Nier:Automata so much it changed genres a few times during the game.

Now whoever does this has to do it well, or it could end up a big flop, but if done correctly it could bend games going forward.
Yeah, I was actually thinking it could be cool if in the next GOW, under certain circumstances the camera shifted out and you played like the old games. Could be for large boss battles or when Kratos goes into rage. They probably cant do it though.

Kagey K

Banned
Yeah, I was actually thinking it could be cool if in the next GOW, under certain circumstances the camera shifted out and you played like the old games. Could be for large boss battles or when Kratos goes into rage. They probably cant do it though.
They could if they wanted to, that’s the fun of being the developer. 😉

Kagey K

Banned
They definitely have to do something unexpected. Jaffe was saying it will hurt the next game that now everyone is used to the new format.
What if the levels were like GOW 1-3 and then the bosses transition into the new style? And then you could have side missions as an isometric Diablo style game, Or a side scrolling platformer.

By doing it for side missions it makes it skippable for people that hate it, but those that like it can dig deeper into it.

Just off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
What if the levels were like GOW 1-3 and then the bosses transition into the new style? And then you could have side missions as an isometric Diablo style game, Or a side scrolling platformer.

By doing it for side missions it makes it skippable for people that hate it, but those that like it can dig deeper into it.

Just off the top of my head.
Interesting. I can't wait to see what they do but I feel it will be a continuation... which isn't a bad thing either IMO.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

That's a lot to take in. I'll just speak to Kratos for now. He grew up. Even more liberal he was by no means a lefty like me. Nigga was fucking hardcore to the end.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
SJW CANCER infiltrated our gaming world, forget the triple AAA games and exclusives they are all political I think you should focus on indie titles and especially going next gen o hope ms and Sony give a chance to indie games like they did with the x360 arcade,
I remember playing multitudes of unknown great games on the ps2 and switching disks every hour to try new games and new adventures from 007 everything or nothing to jack and Dexter and time splitters to crimson sky I miss those days nowadays you put on a game and start feeling sorry for SJWS and a select group of people,

I’d say the indie scene is more SJW than the AAA scene tbh.

ROMhack

B-but we don't get enough walking sims these days. Feels like there hasn't been any since What Remains of Edith Finch.

Last edited:
I don't think so. I actually think a lot of genres have practically become non-existent. Sure, some indies are reviving some of them, but its still in very limited quantities.

I wouldn't mind if the output of cinematic games would get toned down a bit and make room for other genres to flourish.

If those are the only games you can find then you're not looking very hard. It's always funny when people refuse to play anything but huge AAA releases and then bitch about the lack of variety.

Birdo

Banned
I'm still here crying over the death of Arcade Racing franchises :messenger_loudly_crying:

Ridge Racer RIP
Motorstorm RIP
Burnout RIP
Destruction Derby RIP
Outrun RIP
Sega Rally RIP
Flatout RIP
Test Drive RIP

I know there are a few left, like NFS, GRID, and Wreckfest. But there used to be so many more.

I don't blame the industry. I blame you! Society! Your lack of interest killed my beloved franchise!

Shifty

I've been thinking a lot about this lately and it seems like all new games are funneled into the following categories:

- zombie apocalypse
- first person shooters(that includes battle royale)
- fantasy
- weird, offensive SJW style
There are too many zombie games for sure, but I don't think this covers half of what's actually out there.

What ever happened to adventure games from Infocom & Sierra Online like Police Quest, Codename: Iceman, Goldrush, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Borderzone, Battletech, that had you play a character it a semi-realistic scenario? Not everyone needs a game to be pure escapism. Those games were fun as hell because they were connected to real world things.
You should play Disco Elysium if you want a point-and-click-ish game with a believable setting. It's very good.

Maybe I'm just too old to 'get' why we need a 1000 zombie games every year. Can anyone explain this sick fetish? I hear all this talk of 'diversity' from Phil Spencer and the like but I'm not really seeing it.
Zombies make bank, and the mainstream continues to lap them up 💰💰💰

YukiOnna

Agree with some others here that you need to seek out more types of games. There are some amazing unique experiences within various genre that aren't similar at all to the ones you listed, but if you stick to the AAA crowd or the need for that semi-realism style, you naturally won't find much. Rather than view it as any sort of escapism, just look to experience or play something different.

Plus, everything will sort of sound "generic" if you simplify it down to something like "zombie apocalypse" or "fantasy".

Virex

Banned
I don't know about you I played variety of games that each give me unique experience this year alone. Its up to you to search out different experiences.

These are the games I played this year.

Astral_Chain.jpg
220px-Sekiro_art.jpg

220px-Fire_Emblem_Three_Houses.jpg
Luigi%27s_Mansion_3.jpg

220px-Resident_Evil_2_Remake.jpg
Kingdom_Hearts_III_box_art.jpg

220px-The_Legend_of_Zelda_Link%27s_Awakening_%282019_video_game%29.jpg
Daemonicon.jpg

PersonaQ2newcinemalabyrinth.jpg

21069437.jpg
header_D2Ng7uU-460x215.jpg

dragon-quest-xi-s-echoes-definitive-edition-10.jpg
Bloodstained_cover_art.jpg
All of them Japanese as well. Japanese devs for the most part still seem to care about making good engaging games and seems to steer clear of the sjws shit.

Katsura

I’d say the indie scene is more SJW than the AAA scene tbh.
To some extend, i'd agree but since indie games require far less resources to make there is much more variety. It's not a market they can control unless they can get Steam, Epic etc to censor their stores which is what they've been trying to do. Anyone can learn to make games. It's easier than ever so their usual strategy of infecting the game devs doesn't work here

Games like Deacells and Slay the spire have given me far more game play hours than the vast majority of AAA games would have, had i bought them

I need more Twin Stick Arena Shooters in my life....and yes I have played Virtual On. I should get back to Gatcha Force

Twin Stick Shmup that is pretty accessable - Riddled Corpses EX
H2x1_NSwitchDS_RiddledCorpsesEx_image1600w.jpg

Real Time Strategy RPG - Valkyria Chronicles 4

H2x1_NSwitch_ValkyriaChronicles4_image1600w.jpg

Wacky Mini-Overworld Combat-RPG - Yakuza 0

285b0a9f2e73ea8323da3413994e0706f4d60a51.jpg

Post Apocolyptic Prisoner Sentence Reducer Hunting Co-Op Game - Freedom Wars

freedom-wars-listing-thumb-01-us-psvita-15aug14

There's a few games that are different from the norm that use the template and change it up a lot.

imsosleepy

Looks like a pretty massive spoiler right there. Please don't do that.
ho fuck.... I just got MASSIVELY spoiled in a random thread wtf.......... Okay this sucks kinda ass :/ why he do that fuck fuck fuck
Man people dont even spoil shit in the Death stranding OT.. Thats like end game massive spoiler.. man fucking shit

Anyways..

Death stranding tried to do something different with a triple A budget, how ever alot of reviewers bombed it while not reviewing it fairly. they reviewed it for something it is not? Guess most of them were expecting a different game, because triple A games usually are not like this one. But it got punished for it in the reviews so why would a studio try something completely different.. They have expectations of a triple A studio and apparently they dont like it when someone does something different

Last edited:

Greedings

Games are extremely diverse. The AAA market has become quite homogenous, but there's so much more out there if you look beyond the over hyped, bloated marketing budget AAA industry.

Not all indie games are pixel art or walking simulators. The "indie genre" has now made space again for a middle tier of games which are just wonderful.

molasar

Banned
ho fuck.... I just got MASSIVELY spoiled in a random thread wtf.......... Okay this sucks kinda ass :/ why he do that fuck fuck fuck
Man people dont even spoil shit in the Death stranding OT.. Thats like end game massive spoiler.. man fucking shit
I am not sure if you guys are trolling now about fake spoiler or you are just naive?
190108-fake-full.jpg

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
To some extend, i'd agree but since indie games require far less resources to make there is much more variety. It's not a market they can control unless they can get Steam, Epic etc to censor their stores which is what they've been trying to do. Anyone can learn to make games. It's easier than ever so their usual strategy of infecting the game devs doesn't work here

Games like Deacells and Slay the spire have given me far more game play hours than the vast majority of AAA games would have, had i bought them

Anyone can make an indie game but the indie scene is enormously incestuous and infested with rabid SJWs. One only has to look at the whole Alec Holowka mess to see how the indie dev scene is.

Dreamfall Chapters

Katsura

Anyone can make an indie game but the indie scene is enormously incestuous and infested with rabid SJWs. One only has to look at the whole Alec Holowka mess to see how the indie dev scene is.
No doubt but then you have the Dead Cells, Slay the spire, Into the breach etc. The indie scene around GDC/IGF is full of SJW thrash but since the barrier of entry is so low there are plenty of great indie games that aren't made by danger haired soyboys

Last edited:
Top Bottom