• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any hoopers on NeoGAF? I have a question...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I got a question for anyone who used to (or still does) play a lot of basketball back in the day.

When you're playing randos at the park, why do so many hoopers check the ball to you like a dick? A visual example will be provided below...

I feel like the more someone is into hoop culture, the lower their check is. People who don't play much, typically pass the ball to their opponent at their midsection (where you actually want to recieve the ball). Hoopers will roll the ball towards you or pass it towards your knees...forcing you to bend over to start your posession.

I've never quite been able to interpret the low check and it has bothered me all my life. Can anyone explain the meaning or interpretation?

For those single player gamers out there, a "check ball" is essentially a reset where both players tell eachother they're ready by passing the ball to eachother. It typically happens after someone scores a bucket or a change of possession.

bellome

I think doing a proper check ball by bouncing the ball on the ground to the attacker's hands is an act of respect towards the opponent and a pretty safe way to loose possession.

It happend to me a couple fo times and i used to raise the ball with my feet to start my possession. :D

I am form EU btw

MastAndo

It's a mind game - a way of trying to show up/disrespect your opponent and take him off his game.

Shit-talking and one-on-one basketball (or any sort of street ball) go hand in hand and this is just an extension of that. I never really partook in it despite playing a lot of ball growing up, unless playing with close friends. I was OK, just never had quite that sort of game or personality to back it up.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I was a pretty decent ball player, and I am coaching my sons team now. People treat people like less then them because it is a form of intimidation. It is a way to get into peoples heads and it just a way to show they are dominate. You can overcome it by beating them and proving your ability.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I was a pretty decent ball player, and I am coaching my sons team now. People treat people like less then them because it is a form of intimidation. It is a way to get into peoples heads and it just a way to show they are dominate. You can overcome it by beating them and proving your ability.

I guess this was my thought but I swear I've played a small number of pickup games where my opponent is friendly and they still do it.

I also don't get it because once I see the dishonorable game being played, I always try to check the ball back slightly lower than what they give me. A true lose lose scenario.

I punched a girl a recess because she was checking the ball hard as she could at my shins. The idea was that since the ball had touched me she could regain possession after it bounced off my shins. First time I ignored it, but second time she tried that she got a hammer blow to her back and started crying. I felt pretty bad and everyone shamed me for punching a girl, but she intentionally hit me with the ball first, and that shit hurt too. Also, she was such a tomboy I never considered before that she had a protected girl status.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I punched a girl
tEEdq58.gif

bender

What time is it?
Who can pass the ball lower/worse/more annoyingly is a dominance thing? It feels like a skill Stephen Hawking would have been great at.

I mean, I believe you but it's so retarded.

It's competition. You are always looking for an advantage. You want to get into their head. You want to break their rhythm. You'll do anything to disrupt their focus. As stupid as it might seem, t's done because it can be effective. Throw them a bad pass to get them off their spot. Check the ball on the ground short so they have to move and pick the ball up. Start the possession from where you want instead of where they want it.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's competition. You are always looking for an advantage. You want to get into their head. You want to break their rhythm. You'll do anything to disrupt their focus. As stupid as it might seem, t's done because it can be effective. Throw them a bad pass to get them off their spot. Check the ball on the ground short so they have to move and pick the ball up. Start the possession from where you want instead of where they want it.

It's mutually assured destruction though. We're going to play up to 11. It's 0 - 0. You check the ball like a dick, that means we have an entire game to go where we're both passing the ball like dicks to eachother.

I know personally I'm always trying to check the ball back to you slightly worse than you checked it to me.

I played a bunch of sports growing up. It's like playing backyard football and after you score you toss the ball on the ground to your opponent...only no one ever did that. We just passed it to eachother like civilized f***ing people!

I honestly can't think of a similar practice in any other sport.

Top Bottom