• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you EL OBSCURO???%&/()

Are you an El obscuro??????????

• yes

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • no

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • maybe

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • sometimes

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • where the hell did you come up with this

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
Are you an El obscuro? Lemme tell you what an El Obscuro is.
El obscuro is a person that actively searches for obscure stuff and likes it because they're obscure.
I admit, I'm an El Obscuro. I like stuff others don't know about. And once something that was obscure gets mainstream appeal, I kinda don't like it then. Sometimes.
Why? I don't know, I'm not really the sanest person that walked the earth.

How bout you, are you an el obscuro?

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
HELLO COUSIN, IT IS I! EL ASSO WIPO!

vNO182Jq_400x400.jpg

BigBooper

Sometimes, but not much. I sometimes tell inside jokes that only I get. Then I wonder why the heck I did that and I feel like a dummy.

One day at work I wore all khaki. Khaki colored pants, shirts, shoes, and belt because I thought it would be dumb and funny. Everyone else just thought I was a weirdo.:messenger_loudly_crying:

Not really. I am often fascinated by popular things precisely because they are popular. Even if I don't like it, if a movie or book is a big enough deal I might look into it just to see what other people like about it. I am interested in things that aren't popular locally, but even then most of it's popular somewhere.

It's kind of hard to explain abstractly, there are mainstream things I don't like and will ignore, but if it reaches some critical popularity point I'm like "Okay, now I should at least look at it so I know what other people are talking about." Whatever is really popular at this moment, whether it's good or bad, says something about the state of our society.

I've played a bunch of games and watched a bunch of shows or movies that are pretty obscure in the grand scheme of things, and I really enjoyed them, but I would have enjoyed them more if they were popular, cause then you get to talk to other people about them. It sucks to be at work and people are like "what were you up to this weekend, did you do anything?"

"Well, I was watching a let's play of a game about a psychotic insomniac that loves to eat animals, but feels bad that the animals are afraid of her killing them, and to solve this problem with some help she attempts to create a religion for the animals to follow where they will believe it is best if she kills and eats them."

Or "I was playing a game about what it's like to be a modern Chinese girl or boy growing up in China." I have Chinese co-workers, unless this game was the biggest thing going on I don't think it would be appropriate to talk to anyone but my close friends about.

I have all of these things that are obscure that I find fascinating, but many others don't, and you can't have a normal conversation about it because by the time you explain the premise people are like "Wow Tax, I seriously underestimated how much of a massive weirdo nerd you were."

Last edited:
Top Bottom