• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a lifelong Dragon Quest fan, it pisses me off I'll never be able to play Dragon Quest X

Shouta

FFXIV has plenty of measures so you can enjoy the game by yourself. Does DQX have similar measures?

You can borrow companions from the Pub so that you always have a full party, even if you're playing solo. It's actually had it from the beginning making the game very playable for everyone. Playing with a friend is always better and there's some content that you'll get randomly matched up with for folks (raid-ish content) but like 80% of the content can be done alone. They balance this out a bit by tying the level of your companions to your own level. So if you're level 57, the characters you can rent from the pub are level 57. However, this doesn't apply people you add to your friends' list. You should be able to rent them regardless of your level which makes it easier to go through content by yourself.

Additionally, gear progression isn't tied to dungeons like a lot of MMOs. The best gear in the game is actually crafted and enchanted by players who put it up on the bazaar/auction house for sale. In the last few years, they also added a solo dungeon that drops that gear but with random enchantments as an alternative way of getting it. So it's got a little bit of a loot RPG/Diablo feel to it if you enjoy doing that. Only accessories are obtained via boss fights in this and they're all pretty much soloable with a bit of work and there's multiple ways to get those too.

So yeah, it's super solo friendly. I've played like 90% of my entire time in DQX as a solo player.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Non English speakers: learn a foreign language just to play games, listen music and watch movies. Benefit from it in many ways.

English speakers: I’ll never ever be able to play Dragon Quest X 😢
TBF english is the dominant language in the western side of the world and even in the east a lot of areas are catered towards western tourists.... having to learn a less prominent language JUST FOR ONE GAME is a bit of a crazy task.
I still think it's ridiculous advice in the context of this thread without knowing anything more.
true, but this advice isn't being given in a bubble. Many video games come from japan and quite a few never leave it, especially on the PC side. 2 of the major gaming platforms are owned by Japanese corporations. Some of the most popular media franchises originate from Japan. And on a forum full of video game nerds like this there's bound to be overlap with Anime/Manga/Hentai fans, as well as many weebs who would like to take a vacation in Japan.

It's when half the media you consume is from that native language, that it becomes a much easier pill to swallow

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

TBF english is the dominant language in the western side of the world and even in the east a lot of areas are catered towards western tourists.... having to learn a less prominent language JUST FOR ONE GAME is a bit of a crazy task.

Lol yeah dude is tripping. I don't wanna pick up a 5th language to play dragon quest.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
The all in pack is 80% off right now so I jumped in. Having a great time.

I have 2 out of 5 key emblems. Story is very much a dragon quest game. The maps feel a bit too large, or perhaps you just run too slow but that's the only complaint

Mhmmm 2077

I hope you guys know about this?

edit: ah, the Wii servers are closed, someone would need to research if there are private servers perhaps.

Last edited:

DukeOfX

Neo Member
Pisses me off to no end how this series is neglected outside of Japan. Last time I checked, DQ XI sold very well! The games are great, the target audience is hungry for more, and we get...is DQ Builders?

Power Pro

Pisses me off to no end how this series is neglected outside of Japan. Last time I checked, DQ XI sold very well! The games are great, the target audience is hungry for more, and we get...is DQ Builders?
Dragon Quest XI is sooooo good. It was easily my favorite game of the year it released.

The thing with Dragon Quest X also, is I thought the offline version they released in Japan was like...oh well obviously they'll localize this version...but nope. Still nothing.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Builders, especially builders 2, was fantastic.

Also Dragon Quest Monsters The Dark Prince came out this month. It was fantastic. It's why I finally worked up the nerve to play DQX.

The fan translation is pretty good. And the game itself is basically just a fully realized version of 9

nikos

Haven't looked into it yet, but this thread may help:

Specifically this post:

hyperbertha

Oh, I know you weren't serious. But you were still making a comparison implying that the idea of learning Japanese to play a game was as absurd as learning how to make an entire game from scratch. In my experience, there are lots of people who actually believe this, and therefore never even end up trying.

I think it's at the very least worth considering for people like the OP with a serious interest in Japanese games that lack a Western release. This if especially true for games like Dragon Quest, since the writing in those is essentially elementary school level. I played through DQ 5 in Japanese less than half a year after I started learning, and it was definitely manageable.
I'm at 1500 Japanese words. Only about 3000 or so to go before I can fully understand what they are saying. And then there's the kanji if I hope to navigate menus :/

Last edited:
I'm at 1500 Japanese words. Only about 3000 or so to go before I can fully understand what they are saying. And then there's the kanji if I hope to navigate menus :/
Don't put off learning kanji. I know introductory textbooks and courses often make you learn vocabulary using kana alone first with the goal of teaching you the "real" word using kanji later, but it just means you'll end up wasting tons of time and effort having to learn everything twice.

Top Bottom